Options

Is 700MHz sell-off now less likely?

Colin_LondonColin_London Posts: 12,723
Forum Member
✭✭
I see that several mobile operators have applied to Ofcom to 're-farm' their 900MHz & 1800MHz spectrum for 4G.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21291932

Is it likely that this will delay the need for 700MHz spectrum to be freed up, and keep DTT spectrum in use for that purpose?

It seems the original call for 700MHz was for compatibility with US devices, but with manufacturers already making multiband 4G devices isn't that argument going to fade well before 2018? However, I guess if the government thinks they'll make more money out of it then eventually it's going to be sold off to the highest bidder (which won't be TV broadcasters).

Comments

• Options
    freetoview33freetoview33 Posts: 2,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could be depends how fast and how widespread 4G becomes in the next year or so but it could be the beginning of the end of 2G as I guess less spectrum would be set aside for it and I hope this is enough to save freeview. Although if 4G really takes off demand for spectrum will go up and we could still be look at 700MHz sell off
  • Options
    jj20xjj20x Posts: 2,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although 700Mhz clearance is planned for 5G.

The lower frequencies have better building penetration, so are quite attractive to the cellphone operators. Frequency use is co-ordinated internationally, so it really depends on what the European region has a whole decides to do.