Options

Bouncers - Channel 4 - Thursdays - 2200 and 2300 on +1

alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi folks,

Anyone watching? ANOTHER fly on the wall..

Comments

• Options
    milkybarnickmilkybarnick Posts: 605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes - it was pretty good. Programmes about people getting pissed (or "mortal") are ten a penny, but at least there were some likeable characters in this one.

Couldn't believe the mis-spelling of "breathe" in the subtitles near the end though. That was quite astonishing - and it happened more than once.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watching it on +1...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is this a repeat or a new series?

Nevermind, new series. If you like this though, check out the ITV series which is up on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHKj6Ti5iCg
  • Options
    horwichallstarshorwichallstars Posts: 16,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watching on +1

Looks like my worst kind of night out ....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My worst idea of a nigth out as well..
  • Options
    milkybarnickmilkybarnick Posts: 605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Dressed by catapult"
  • Options
    DesmondpDesmondp Posts: 222
    Forum Member
    Being a bouncer is one of the toughest jobs there is. Quite a few guys at my boxing gym work doors and they have had knives pulled on them , been king hit etc etc

But the hardest thing is nowadays there are security cameras everywhere and you are liable for your actions to a ridiculous degree. In the good old days, you could take the d*cckheads out the back for a good kickin. Same with checking for ID, if you let someone in who is underage, you could be in big trouble. Back in the day, no problem letting in underage girls (just underage!) for a blowie or shag in a backroom :)
  • Options
    cuzacuza Posts: 1,746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched and cringed!

What a good advert for the north east, I thought.

Blyth does have a reputation of being a dump.

But I'm sure there are plenty of other places just the same.

I had to laugh at them putting subtitles on!
  • Options
    bratwurztbratwurzt Posts: 2,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I couldn't believe the nerve of those two. They let a man walk off when he clearly couldn't stand up and was an accident waiting to happen. Then when he fell over, they started bragging how their first aid skills were really useful and they saved the day.

Anyone with an ounce of decency would have sat him down outside and showed some responsibility towards him.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cuza wrote: »
    I watched and cringed!

What a good advert for the north east, I thought.

Blyth does have a reputation of being a dump.

But I'm sure there are plenty of other places just the same.

I had to laugh at them putting subtitles on!

Blyth is not really a dump. Its basically the same as any other ex-coal mining town.

It has its dodgy areas but alot of nice places along with one of the best beaches in the country.

You always get knob-heads in clubs like that but most of the drinkers are well behaved. They just don't make as good of interviews than the piss heads do.

It was good though to see a programme potraying bouncers in a good light. The two that work at the quay are spot on. Can't say the same about the bouncers that work in Newcastle city centre. I think we'll see that next week.
  • Options
    andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    Vintage06 wrote: »
    Blyth is not really a dump. Its basically the same as any other ex-coal mining town.

It has its dodgy areas but alot of nice places along with one of the best beaches in the country.

You always get knob-heads in clubs like that but most of the drinkers are well behaved. They just don't make as good of interviews than the piss heads do.

It was good though to see a programme potraying bouncers in a good light. The two that work at the quay are spot on. Can't say the same about the bouncers that work in Newcastle city centre. I think we'll see that next week.

Hate to disagree but Blyth IS a dump its an awfull run down little town. It used have one of largest number of pubs re population ratios in the North East. It used to have a thriving market but now its a pitifull few stalls. It was at one point the glue sniffing capital of the country. True it has a nice beach but thats actually outside of the town. I don't know anyone who would willingly move to that town if they didn't have to. Spent the worst four years of my career working there.
  • Options
    Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Dressed by catapult"

I thought that was brilliant.
    As for the majority of the punters they showed, what a horrid bunch of animals. They seem to live to get as drunk as possible as quickly as possible and then behave like savages. Ugh.
  • Options
    Logan FiveLogan Five Posts: 627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    andy1231 wrote: »
    Hate to disagree but Blyth IS a dump its an awfull run down little town. It used have one of largest number of pubs re population ratios in the North East. It used to have a thriving market but now its a pitifull few stalls. It was at one point the glue sniffing capital of the country. True it has a nice beach but thats actually outside of the town. I don't know anyone who would willingly move to that town if they didn't have to. Spent the worst four years of my career working there.

Blyth has it's problems but it's not as bad as you are making out, ffs. LIke other villages in the area - it's been in economic decline for the last couple of decades. I never used to drink much in Blyth (being a Bedlington lad)

Thing what surprised me is the amount of charvas and radgies that go out now, getting tanked up before they go out. Even Jesmond seems to be now populated by the Geordie Shore wannabee brigade. :(
  • Options
    jimbo1962jimbo1962 Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    " the tide wouldnt take those two out.." heheh

was I seeing things or was the drunk girl in the back of the taxi knickerless?
  • Options
    farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The 16 yr old girl who fell over, hurting her ankle was cringeworthy. What do her parents think about her getting plastered on tequila & vodka? Car crash tv, horrible yet highly watchable.
  • Options
    trunkstertrunkster Posts: 14,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just another fly on the wall documentary that helps show all that is wrong with this country socially.
  • Options
    denial_orstupiddenial_orstupid Posts: 665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    why did those idiots let that guy walk off unassisted instead of putting him on the floor propped against the wall so he could sober up ?
    i knew the second i saw him he was in no fit state to be walking anywhere .
    and rightly enough he hit the ground hard - could hear the thud .
  • Options
    Logan FiveLogan Five Posts: 627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd have thought it's not a bouncer's job to prob someone up when he is that hammered, he can barely walk! The lad who fell down shouldn't have allowed himself to get in such a state, ffs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    andy1231 wrote: »

I think you'd find the problems you highlighted in Blyth being run down is the lack of investment this town and others alike throughout the country has had.

Few market stalls now because most people go to Newcastle, Metro Centre, Cramlington or the Silverlink for shopping. Markets are dying right around the country.

The drugs capital was quite nonsensical. It had a drugs problem. But so does alot of other places. The police have cleaned the majority of it up. Along with the Wesley School (A vacinity where young teens got sent to from Sunderland and around that area) closing which meant alot of that scum left the streets.

I think you'd find the beach is right next to Blyth. New housing estates are being built around there along with South Beach all these houses have plenty of demand.

I bet the four years you worked there you never went out to any of the pubs or get to know any of the people.

The people are the best thing about Blyth. They'd go out of the way to help you, get to know you. I'd much rather an odd scrap between people where people go out to have a good time to enjoy themselves.

I live in Blyth and i am about to purchase my first house in Blyth. Its very under-rated.
  • Options
    LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    That guy someone Jim....what an arrogant tw*t, had he not been a bouncer those women wouldn't look twice at him.
  • Options
    andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    I think you'd find the problems you highlighted in Blyth being run down is the lack of investment this town and others alike throughout the country has had.

Few market stalls now because most people go to Newcastle, Metro Centre, Cramlington or the Silverlink for shopping. Markets are dying right around the country.

The drugs capital was quite nonsensical. It had a drugs problem. But so does alot of other places. The police have cleaned the majority of it up. Along with the Wesley School (A vacinity where young teens got sent to from Sunderland and around that area) closing which meant alot of that scum left the streets.

I think you'd find the beach is right next to Blyth. New housing estates are being built around there along with South Beach all these houses have plenty of demand.

I bet the four years you worked there you never went out to any of the pubs or get to know any of the people.
    The people are the best thing about Blyth. They'd go out of the way to help you, get to know you. I'd much rather an odd scrap between people where people go out to have a good time to enjoy themselves.

I live in Blyth and i am about to purchase my first house in Blyth. Its very under-rated.

I never said drugs capital I said glue sniffing capital and yes i did get to know lots of people and visit pubs - I was Policeman there !
  • Options
    denial_orstupiddenial_orstupid Posts: 665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Logan Five wrote: »
    I'd have thought it's not a bouncer's job to prob someone up when he is that hammered, he can barely walk! The lad who fell down shouldn't have allowed himself to get in such a state, ffs.

they have a duty of care too all patriots of the premises , that's one reason they do first aid courses .

any idiot could see he was going too fall - allowing him to stagger off and fall like that is not acceptable .
    he could have died or suffered serious brain damage .

complete idiots is my opinion of them .
  • Options
    Purple.Purple. Posts: 4,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    why did those idiots let that guy walk off unassisted instead of putting him on the floor propped against the wall so he could sober up ?
    i knew the second i saw him he was in no fit state to be walking anywhere .
    and rightly enough he hit the ground hard - could hear the thud .

I thought that as well.

I applied for a job in Blyth a few months ago without knowing much about it (I'm from Yorkshire). After seeing this, I think I'm glad I didn't get an interview. Although obviously not everyone will be like the people portrayed on this show.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member

I'm originally from the North East but left some 40+ years ago and only visit about once every few years . I agree with everything you said, I know its very easy to only visit the 'good ' areas when you visit occasionally but I cannot wait to go back up there . I've been watching 'Vera' which is a great advert for the area, some of the scenery is breath-taking
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm originally from the North East but left some 40+ years ago and only visit about once every few years . I agree with everything you said, I know its very easy to only visit the 'good ' areas when you visit occasionally but I cannot wait to go back up there . I've been watching 'Vera' which is a great advert for the area, some of the scenery is breath-taking

Yeah definatley.
    Some of that Vera is filmed in Blyth actually.

Although i find it funny on Vera when she leaves the police station in Newcastle then ends up 60 miles away up Northumberland in 3 minutes ;)