Options

Question about proper shoes (mens and womens)

CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
Forum Member
✭✭✭
So is there any significant difference in the shape of the shoe between men's and women's?

I've not worn a proper shoe in forever and now need to seek a pair out.
I am a woman but the problem is I HATE the design of 99% of women's shoes and the 1% I don't hate I don't particularly like either.
So ideally I want to get a pair of men's but would the difference be enough to cause me problems?*

*(Although in all honesty I would rather have blisters then wear a shoe designed for women. )

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    CBFreak wrote: »
    So is there any significant difference in the shape of the shoe between men's and women's?

I've not worn a proper shoe in forever and now need to seek a pair out.
    I am a woman but the problem is I HATE the design of 99% of women's shoes and the 1% I don't hate I don't particularly like either.
    So ideally I want to get a pair of men's but would the difference be enough to cause me problems?*

*(Although in all honesty I would rather have blisters then wear a shoe designed for women. )

As a proper old school cobbler of far too many years experience to think about, the only real difference between a men's and woman's shoe that would crossover style wise is that men's shoes tend to be a bit wider in the ball/toes area. Not massively so just about a quarter of an inch or so. Hope that helps.
  • Options
    CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a proper old school cobbler of far too many years experience to think about, the only real difference between a men's and woman's shoe that would crossover style wise is that men's shoes tend to be a bit wider in the ball/toes area. Not massively so just about a quarter of an inch or so. Hope that helps.

That does thank you. I actually like a bit of room to wiggle my toes. So thankfully it seems I can wear men's shoes.
  • Options
    OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends on the shape of your foot. Mens shoes come in different lasts, some have a nice round toe box in a wide fitting. Get your feet properly measured in a proper shoe shop with a Brannock (the foot size measuring thing) :)
  • Options
    venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of Doc Martens shoes and boots are designed to be worn by both men and women.