Favourite and least favourite Love Actually story

djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,570
Forum Member
✭✭
My favourite story is Kris Marshall's character, very nice and light hearted story. My least favourite story is Colin Firth's character's story, which was incredibly unrealistic

Your views please ...

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Least favourite would probably be the story with Martin Freeman and Joanna Page
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Favourite was Andrew Lincoln and Keira Knightley mainly cos of the silent night scene.

Least favourite was Laura Linney and her French co worker as it was so frustrating. Just get in on!!:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good question.

My favourite is with the young actor, Thomas Sangster, and the pop song.

For worst, it's the girl who is looking after her mentally ill brother. I couldn't see why she couldn't still have a relationship if her brother was in hospital and she implemented some sensible boundaries in her life. Hence I found the story line frustrating.

A special mention to Bill Nighy because I thought he was fun in it!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    djfunnyman wrote: »
    My favourite story is Kris Marshall's character, very nice and light hearted story. My least favourite story is Colin Firth's character's story, which was incredibly unrealistic

Your views please ...

You didn't think Hugh Grant as the dancing PM in love with the cockney co-worker was a tad ridiculous too? :D
  • Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    The stupid kid running to the departure gate, he would be shot by police before he got that far.
  • djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good question.

My favourite is with the young actor, Thomas Sangster, and the pop song.

For worst, it's the girl who is looking after her mentally ill brother. I couldn't see why she couldn't still have a relationship if her brother was in hospital and she implemented some sensible boundaries in her life. Hence I found the story line frustrating.

A special mention to Bill Nighy because I thought he was fun in it!
    You didn't think Hugh Grant as the dancing PM in love with the cockney co-worker was a tad ridiculous too? :D

Liam Neeson's character seemed like a genuine nice guy but their scheme was ridiculous. And yes, Hugh Grant's storyline was ridiculous

Emma Thompson's character was very stuck up
  • Callum_BrownCallum_Brown Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Emma Thompson's story for me is probably the best for me - mainly down to the Joni Mitchell scene, Thompson's acting is simply sublime.

My least favourite is probably BT man going to America, rather pointless. Shame that was kept in when the Anne Reid/Frances de la Tour lesbian story was cut.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're all my least favourite. I genuinely thing the film is all hype and no substance. Having said that it was only Hugh and Martines plot that kept me interested.
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Emma Thompson/Alan Rickman story I think works well. The scene with the CD as a Christmas present is very sad. :(

Alot of the film is a mess, I detest Kris Marshalls character in this, just awful and not remotely amusing, and the less said about Hugh Grant as the PM the better.Conversely for all that it's wildly implausible I still like the Colin Firth sub plot, it's sweet without being too sickly.

Eta: I find the Liam Neeson story quite sad now, knowing that he lost his wife in real life some years down the line.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    The Emma Thompson/Alan Rickman story I think works well. The scene with the CD as a Christmas present is very sad. :(

Alot of the film is a mess, I detest Kris Marshalls character in this, just awful and not remotely amusing, and the less said about Hugh Grant as the PM the better.Conversely for all that it's wildly implausible I still like the Colin Firth sub plot, it's sweet without being too sickly.

Eta: I find the Liam Neeson story quite sad now, knowing that he lost his wife in real life some years down the line.

Kris Marshall is great, his story is light relief from the rest. Remember his BT sport advert in summer 2010 with Gareth Bale, Shay Given, Michael Owen and Rio?

Yes Liam Neeson lost his wife about 5 years later
  • MarcusjllMarcusjll Posts: 1,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrew Lincoln's!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Liam Neeson's character seemed like a genuine nice guy but their scheme was ridiculous. And yes, Hugh Grant's storyline was ridiculous

Emma Thompson's character was very stuck up

I did like Liam Neeson's character in this. He was very charismatic. And I agree with Muttley76 that his character's story is a lot more emotive after what happened to Liam in real life.

On a different note, I don't agree about Emma Thompson's character being stuck up. I felt her story had a sad ending and I felt sorry for her.

I also agree with Muttley76 that Kris Marshall's character wasn't particularly likeable in it.
  • brentfordpetebrentfordpete Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    God knows why i watched it again as it is a sickly film.

The bits I like are any with Martine Mccutcheon in them- thought she looked beautiful in this film.
    Colin in the US when Elisha Cuthbert appeared.

And the bit with Rickman and Atkinson in the department store.
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    The one thing I hated was all the swearing - it was so unnecessary for a film about love.

Admittedly only from a couple of the characters - but almost every other word Martine used was f this, b that etc.
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My favourite part is the relationship between Liam Neeson and his stepson, how it grows and changes, how helping his stepson also helps him to deal with his own loss and grow as a father; when the lad finally calls him Dad it's very touching :)

I have to agree about Laura Linney's character, I just want to shake her and tell her to live her own life! Grab love by the balls :D (especially when he's a hunk :D)
  • eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me, Gregor Fisher in the recording studio at the beginning is the only funny part of the film.
  • lola_skyelola_skye Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Martine mc cutchin and Hugh grant's storyline was the best for me. It was the only one with a real storyline and made Hugh grant likable.

My least favourite was Emma Thomson and Alan Rickman. I love the actor and actress but their storyline was pointless and never went anywhere.

Overall Bill nighy owned this film. Still chuckle at his radio interview and the bit with ant and dec
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    The one thing I hated was all the swearing - it was so unnecessary for a film about love.

Admittedly only from a couple of the characters - but almost every other word Martine used was f this, b that etc.

Ah, part of the Curtis formula, I'm afraid. Perhaps he thinks it compensates for the sickly sweet emoting going on in every other frame.:cool:
  • Nobby BurtonNobby Burton Posts: 1,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best - Rickman/Thompson or Grant/McCutcheon

Worst - Kris Marshall
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    muggins14 wrote: »
    My favourite part is the relationship between Liam Neeson and his stepson, how it grows and changes, how helping his stepson also helps him to deal with his own loss and grow as a father; when the lad finally calls him Dad it's very touching :)

I have to agree about Laura Linney's character, I just want to shake her and tell her to live her own life! Grab love by the balls :D (especially when he's a hunk :D)

What happened to that lad's actual dad? This thread is bumped now we're in the run up to Christmas
  • JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    What happened to that lad's actual dad? This thread is bumped now we're in the run up to Christmas

I suppose we are meant to assume that his late mother had divorced his real dad some years earlier.

I do like this film. I have seen it every Christmas since it was released. May give it a miss this year as I almost know it word for word!

I would say the Hugh Grant story is probably the best. When it was announced a year before release this is what it was sold on. I remember reading about a new Richard Curtis film coming next Christmas with Hugh Grant and Martine McCutcheon and the plot would be the current prime minister has a relationship with his tea lady. That was it. Nothing about ten storylines.

The Kris Marshall story was a letdown. I suppose I just assumed it would all go wrong and be a total disaster. Instead he got exactly what he wanted and that was it. Perhaps that was good twist. But I think it would have worked better if it had gone wrong or even wrong at first.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did like Liam Neeson's character in this. He was very charismatic. And I agree with Muttley76 that his character's story is a lot more emotive after what happened to Liam in real life.

On a different note, I don't agree about Emma Thompson's character being stuck up. I felt her story had a sad ending and I felt sorry for her.

I also agree with Muttley76 that Kris Marshall's character wasn't particularly likeable in it.

I take your point completely. But she was very unsympathetic towards Liam Neeson's character and didn't seem to care about her kids being in the Natvity, though that story did include one of my favourite quotes

"There was more than one lobster present at the birth of baby Jesus?!"
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My favourite line from the film ... when Billy Nighy's talking to Ant and Dec and calls one of them 'Ant or Dec' :D
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Best part of the film; "Kids, don't buy drugs. Become a rock star and they give them to you for free!"

Worst part: Hugh Grant risking a diplomatic incident with the USA because he saw the President letching over the maid he fancied.
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "There was more than one lobster present at the birth of baby Jesus?!"

Duh! :D

Favourite probably the Daniel and Sam story or the Harry and Karen one.

Least favourite the Colin one.