Options

HDmi switch box

ixHellstormxixHellstormx Posts: 2,192
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I need to get an HDmi switch box. Which one would people recommend. I'm looking at either the Kinivo 301BN or 501BN

Comments

• Options
    YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    Oh I could use one too. I'm getting sick of swapping ps3 / ps4 cables.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yuffie wrote: »
    Oh I could use one too. I'm getting sick of swapping ps3 / ps4 cables.

I have my PS3 and PS4 connected to my home cinema and the mrs complains about the volume (explosions in BF4) :D 'It's like a damn war zone in here' u can feel the explosions through the floor'. she said :D so time to get a switch box.

modern TV's just don't have enough HDmi slots. we have 4 in our Samsung but need 7 minimum.

Sky HD box
    Freeview HD box
    Home cinema
    Xbox 360
    PS3
    PS4
    PC
  • Options
    fluffedfluffed Posts: 1,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also need a decent one, using a cheapie manual thing off ebay atm, it works but auto switching/ remote would be nice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My tv only has 2 :( sky gets a permanent slot and my ps3&4 gets switched. I'm dying to get a surround sound system. But currently saving to go to Australia for 3 weeks in the summer so I can't buy anything.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My tv only has 2 :( sky gets a permanent slot and my ps3&4 gets switched. I'm dying to get a surround sound system. But currently saving to go to Australia for 3 weeks in the summer so I can't buy anything.

surround sound amp or 3 week hol down under........man ur facing a difficult choice :D

surround sound does make a huge difference to your gaming experience (as does 3D) Yuffie and you certainly don't need to go overboard investing in one. look into it when you get back.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have one for my PS3, 360 and Xbox One. For some reason my PS4 doesn't like HDMI boxes and the screen flashes on and off so it's plugged into HDMI in on my Xbox One for now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    surround sound amp or 3 week hol down under........man ur facing a difficult choice :D

surround sound does make a huge difference to your gaming experience (as does 3D) Yuffie and you certainly don't need to go overboard investing in one. look into it when you get back.

Oh I've been looking at them on Amazon for some time. I will get one soon. Of course I've also been looking at a 60" tv to replace the 40". And 3D... Eeehh... I dunno..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have one for my PS3, 360 and Xbox One. For some reason my PS4 doesn't like HDMI boxes and the screen flashes on and off so it's plugged into HDMI in on my Xbox One for now.

is it one of the Kinivo's mate ?.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    I use a Thor HDC75 which is a combined HDMI/Optical/Co-ax switch so I can split the audio to my older AV amp which has no HDMI input and only one optical input.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh I've been looking at them on Amazon for some time. I will get one soon. Of course I've also been looking at a 60" tv to replace the 40". And 3D... Eeehh... I dunno..

3D gaming can be excellent Yuffie and most large screen HDTV's are 3D capable. I use to have a 40" Sony but upgraded to a 55" Samsung with 3D and if a game has a 3D mode, then I'll use it. Killzone 3 is stunning in 3D and was the game that got me into 3D gaming :)
  • Options
    WellHiddenMarkWellHiddenMark Posts: 1,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That looks like the Belkin one I gave up using several weeks ago. It would only power up if I had my PS3 connected and switched on. It can take a 5V power supply (not supplied) that has a very small connector - I have no further sockets for another wall wart. The IR controller is one of those beady eye connectors I have not attached.

The blue LEDs are also absurdly bright (a very good sign of cheap Chinese junk). I had to put black electrical tape over the row of lights and poke a small hole for each light to shine through.

It's bin fodder, basically.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    3D gaming can be excellent Yuffie and most large screen HDTV's are 3D capable. I use to have a 40" Sony but upgraded to a 55" Samsung with 3D and if a game has a 3D mode, then I'll use it. Killzone 3 is stunning in 3D and was the game that got me into 3D gaming :)

I have heard great things about 3D gaming but it means upgrading the tv. If I do it anyway then brill, I'll embrace 3D gaming but I couldn't upgrade just for gaming.

But the surround sound is a must. What should I look out for in a surround sound system. What makes it a good one?

Ps: sorry for going waay off topic.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    is it one of the Kinivo's mate ?.

I dunno. I've tried 3 different boxes and all been the same.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have heard great things about 3D gaming but it means upgrading the tv. If I do it anyway then brill, I'll embrace 3D gaming but I couldn't upgrade just for gaming.

But the surround sound is a must. What should I look out for in a surround sound system. What makes it a good one?

Ps: sorry for going waay off topic.

no worries mate. take a look at Richer sounds for good deals.

heres an example

http://www.richersounds.com/product/home-cinema-systems/yamaha/yht-199/yama-yht199
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dunno. I've tried 3 different boxes and all been the same.

My PS4 is the same, doesn't like the switch box I have. So currently has to have an HDMI port to itself.
  • Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've had one of these for a couple of years as I only have 2 HDMI inputs on the big telly:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Duronic-HDS3-Switch-output-Switcher/dp/B0020426AG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1399378211&sr=8-1&keywords=3+way+hdmi+switch

Spot on, does the job and never had a problem with it.
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If anyone wants to get a surround sound system *and* could do with more HDMI ports or a switch, then consider a proper HDMI AV receiver & separate speakers: All your consoles (& Sky etc.) would connect to the AV receiver via HDMI, and the AV receiver would then connect to the TV via HDMI. Some also have standby passthrough so that the AV receiver does not need to be turned on if you want to use something with just TV speakers.
  • Options
    frightleverfrightlever Posts: 1,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have the three port (well, technically four port - 3 in, 1 out) version of that which I use to switch between a XBMC PC and a freeview box. My brother uses the same model with his PS3/Sky box. Provided your HDMI cables aren't many metres long it's powered from the HDMI port and doesn't need any external power.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ok just got the Kinivo 301BN and tried it with the PS4 and it's working fine.

I got it for £14.99 from Amazon.
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ok just got the Kinivo 301BN and tried it with the PS4 and it's working fine.

I got it for £14.99 from Amazon.

i need a switch box really.....

let us know how you get on with it
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i need a switch box really.....

let us know how you get on with it

Yeah will do mate. I'll be gaming for a few hours tonight so will post back here :)
  • Options
    gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gillyallan wrote: »

some people seem to have problems with HDmi switch boxes and their PS4. The Kinivo 301BN seems to work fine with PS3 and PS4 (son has been gaming for a few hours this morning using both consoles).
  • Options
    gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure. Mine works prefect. I've tried every combo under the sun and switches no bother.

If say I had ps3 on and leave it on. Turn ps4 on. It switches to ps4. Turn ps4 back off and it returns to ps3 and vice versa if worked the other way.