Options

Traffic shaping - how do I know?

fenlanderfenlander Posts: 2,199
Forum Member
✭✭✭
How do I know if I'm being "traffic shaped"? I use BitComet in Windows and Azureus in Linux - what are the visible signs that a slow download is caused by traffic shaping rather than some other factor?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 361
    Forum Member
    Pick any torrent that you know you should get a good speed from, Knoppix, Ubuntu, An Elephants Dream, all have large swarms of fast seeders. If you find your speed never exceeds a couple of hundred kb/s (depending on your d/l speed), then you are being shaped. You also have to be able to connect to a decent ammount of peers, both seeds and leechers, for optimal speed, so make sure that your settings are correct. You can pretty much go unlimited with Azureus, only capping your upload to around 80% so as to leave bandwidth for dowload protocol. You could always try switching to a port that is unlikely to be throttled, like 443 (SSL).
  • Options
    rhodrhod Posts: 3,995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very good question.

According to Virgin's terms & conditions
    We also reserve the right (at our sole discretion) to re-grade your Internet access to a different speed and/or usage allowance at the appropriate charge. If we make such changes we will notify you as soon as possible.

so, what do they mean by "as soon as possible"? How do they notify customers of this regrade? Post? Email? Has any DS user received such a notification?

I gather they don't like to publicise the trigger point at which the traffic shaping kicks into place, but I think it would be better for Virgin to treat its customers like adults and give them a gentle warning if their rate of usage looked likely to push them past the trigger point over a given period.

I'm coming to the conclusion that my abysmal evening speeds are a result of shaping, but why haven't Virgin followed their own T&C and informed me?

Why can't they provide a usage monitor on the customer account page like other ISPs?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    rhod wrote:
    Very good question.

According to Virgin's terms & conditions

so, what do they mean by "as soon as possible"? How do they notify customers of this regrade? Post? Email? Has any DS user received such a notification?

I gather they don't like to publicise the trigger point at which the traffic shaping kicks into place, but I think it would be better for Virgin to treat its customers like adults and give them a gentle warning if their rate of usage looked likely to push them past the trigger point over a given period.

I'm coming to the conclusion that my abysmal evening speeds are a result of shaping, but why haven't Virgin followed their own T&C and informed me?

Why can't they provide a usage monitor on the customer account page like other ISPs?

I also notice slow speeds some evenings, sometimes as low as 1000kb or even less sometimes. I am paying for 4mb and I usually get about 3800-3900kb. This has been happening ever since NTL changed to VM.
    I am writing to them this week to complain about my tv service so I will mention this in the letter. I am also considering writing to Trading Standards as well because when I changed from 2mb via a set top box to 4mb via a modem the customer service rep told me that because it was using a modem I would have a guarenteed speed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    :mad: Since Virgin took over Telewest things are rapidly going downhill, traffic shaping kicks in if i download a file over 700mb after 4.00 pm and doesnt recover until after midnight giving me less than half speed up and down, I spoke to customer services (wish i hadnt bothered) and they denied any traffic shaping, which has already been confirmed in these forums in numerous threads and with email proof. Now to cap things off they are stopping access to some multimedia newsgroups, I am very unhappy with Virgin, I never had cause for complaint under Telewest ownership, Virgin have ruined a very good service and the price stays the same! I am currently looking for a good adsl supplier and will maybe come back to cable if things improve in the future. :mad:
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    O.G wrote:
    If you find your speed never exceeds a couple of hundred kb/s (depending on your d/l speed), then you are being shaped.
    Surely that should read then you may be being shaped. (there could very well be a number of other issues affecting the speed).
  • Options
    fenlanderfenlander Posts: 2,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote:
    Surely that should read then you may be being shaped. (there could very well be a number of other issues affecting the speed).

This was the point of my enquiry. A lot of people have complained that they think they're being affected by traffic shaping, but if VM denies it, how can it be proved? Also, how does traffic "shaping" work? Does it affect a user's connection speed globally or are only specified ports (those likely to be used for applications like P2P downloads) affected?

I would assume from the term "shaping" that there should be some subtlety in how it is done, just as a network administrator can allocate bandwidth to different protocols (ftp, http etc) to balance traffic on a network. If your ISP just nukes your bandwidth if your data volumes exceed certain arbitrary and undefined limits, that seems too crude to be called "shaping".
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chris7gy wrote:
    I also notice slow speeds some evenings, sometimes as low as 1000kb or even less sometimes. I am paying for 4mb and I usually get about 3800-3900kb. This has been happening ever since NTL changed to VM.
    I am writing to them this week to complain about my tv service so I will mention this in the letter. I am also considering writing to Trading Standards as well because when I changed from 2mb via a set top box to 4mb via a modem the customer service rep told me that because it was using a modem I would have a guarenteed speed.

LOL complaining about dropping 100 - 200Kilobits? WHAT?

VM states that they provide UP to the service you subscribe to. Losing approximately 200kilobits and complaing about it is crazy.

200kbit is around 25K/sec.. hardly noticeable.

The only arguement you have is the CSR saying you would get guaranteed speed. Nothing is guaranteed but as far as complaining about losing 200Kbit is concerned, you should consider yourself lucky. There are customers out there not even gettin 50% of their service speed.

LOL.. 200Kbit...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Going by the experiences of others at the start of the traffic-shaping trial, you would need to be maxing-out your connection. Then, between 4pm and midnight, you would see your speed halve and remain at that constant level for a period (2 hours I think). At which point the speed returns to normal - again if you continue to max-out the connection you will get normal speeds for about 15 or 20 mins before it halves again.

Aagain, the experiences of the initial few indicated definite and clear cut-off points where the download speed would instantly halve (i.e it would drop instantly rather than be a gradual slowdown), and would remain that way for 2 hours.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 361
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote:

On an average torrent, yes, that would be true. On the torrents I suggested, and used as a speed throttling test, there is absolutely no reason they should not go full pelt. I can download any of those 3 and get a consistant 1mb/s. Of course if the user sees nowhere near his maximum, when he knows his maximum is achievable (no other constraints), then he surely is being traffic shaped.
  • Options
    tellytart1tellytart1 Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sparhawk wrote:

VM states that they provide UP to the service you subscribe to. Losing approximately 200kilobits and complaing about it is crazy.

The only arguement you have is the CSR saying you would get guaranteed speed. Nothing is guaranteed but as far as complaining about losing 200Kbit is concerned, you should consider yourself lucky. There are customers out there not even gettin 50% of their service speed.

LOL.. 200Kbit...
    You seem to have mis-read his post - he said he was losing between 2 to 3 megabits (Speeds dropping from around 3800k or 3900k to 1000k - that's losing nearly 3 megabits!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    O.G wrote:
    On an average torrent, yes, that would be true. On the torrents I suggested, and used as a speed throttling test, there is absolutely no reason they should not go full pelt. I can download any of those 3 and get a consistant 1mb/s. Of course if the user sees nowhere near his maximum, when he knows his maximum is achievable (no other constraints), then he surely is being traffic shaped.
    There are always likely to be other off-net constraints which might affect even those torrent downloads, just enough for no-one to be able to categorically state that traffic shaping is in place. The only real way of telling is to use a network monitoring tool and look at the graphical representation - you will see it abruptly drop from the maximum to half-speed and remain at that constant level for two hours. There was an early thread on here where people were discussing whether traffic shaping was i place or not. The supplied screenshots of the network traffic suddenly dropping to half-rate was quite compelling.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sparhawk wrote:

LOL.. 200Kbit...

3900 minus 2900 = 1000
    so I am losing 2900kb not 200kb
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :mad: Since Virgin took over Telewest things are rapidly going downhill, traffic shaping kicks in if i download a file over 700mb after 4.00 pm and doesnt recover until after midnight giving me less than half speed up and down, I spoke to customer services (wish i hadnt bothered) and they denied any traffic shaping, which has already been confirmed in these forums in numerous threads and with email proof. Now to cap things off they are stopping access to some multimedia newsgroups, I am very unhappy with Virgin, I never had cause for complaint under Telewest ownership, Virgin have ruined a very good service and the price stays the same! I am currently looking for a good adsl supplier and will maybe come back to cable if things improve in the future. :mad:

AFAIK the volume limit for 'Traffic Shaping' kicking in is more like 3Gig for 10/20Mb/s service, not sure about the other tiers.
    Let us know if you find a good ADSL provider that gives you better service than you are getting now.. I think we are all looking for one of them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zenith52 wrote:
    AFAIK the volume limit for 'Traffic Shaping' kicking in is more like 3Gig for 10/20Mb/s service, not sure about the other tiers.
    Yes, I'm pretty sure that it is a relatively large figure (certainly more than 700meg)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    zenith52 wrote:
    Let us know if you find a good ADSL provider that gives you better service than you are getting now.. I think we are all looking for one of them.

I am on the 4meg service and it is always at the 700mb point when ts kicks in. I am currently tempted by ADSL24, it has newsgoup access and consistant speed looks good, tarriffs to suit all. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am on the 4meg service and it is always at the 700mb point when ts kicks in.
    Are you in one of the confirmed STM/TS areas, or are you assuming that you are experiencing Traffic Shaping?

http://abcde.co.uk/virginmedia/broadband-faq.html#q28
    If you are in the following areas:

* Preston
    * Wigan
    * Blackpool
    * Swansea (to be confirmed)
    * Bradford (Universal Broadband Router #11 only)

You are currently participating in a trial of traffic management. Effectively the company is introducing "sin bins" for heavy users.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    zenith52 wrote:

I am on the 4meg service and it is always at the 700mb point when ts kicks in. I am currently tempted by ADSL24, it has newsgoup access and consistant speed looks good, tarriffs to suit all. :)

I am in Blackpool, thanks for the reply Mossy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I am in Blackpool and i asume nothing :D
    Then if you are in Blackpool, that area is listed in my link.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chris7gy wrote:
    3900 minus 2900 = 1000
    so I am losing 2900kb not 200kb

Chris, please accept my sincere apologies. I DID misread your post.

Humble pie eaten :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I am in Blackpool, thanks for the reply Mossy.

That sounds about right for the 4Mb/s tier. So yes you are being 'shaped' in the 1600 - Midnight period due to your what is seen as 'heavy usage' in the peak time. If you shift your usage outside of those hours it should tick along at 4Mb/s for the other 16 hours of the day. I suppose you could go up to the XL tier where the limit is somewhere between 2.5 & 3Gig
  • Options
    NeonopticNeonoptic Posts: 583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote:
    If you are in the following areas:

* Bradford (Universal Broadband Router #11 only)

You are currently participating in a trial of traffic management. Effectively the company is introducing "sin bins" for heavy users.

So perhaps this is the reason behind my loss of speed and connection? I'm on the 4mb package put my speed has been around a constant 2mb if not less for over a month, it's just appalling.

Edit - just been on the site posted and it's only specific times, my connection speed loss is 24 hours a day.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sparhawk wrote:
    Chris, please accept my sincere apologies. I DID misread your post.

Humble pie eaten :)

That's ok, easy mistake to make

Chris
  • Options
    Forum Member
    zenith52 wrote:
    That sounds about right for the 4Mb/s tier. So yes you are being 'shaped' in the 1600 - Midnight period due to your what is seen as 'heavy usage' in the peak time. If you shift your usage outside of those hours it should tick along at 4Mb/s for the other 16 hours of the day. I suppose you could go up to the XL tier where the limit is somewhere between 2.5 & 3Gig

I hardly consider 700mb download heavy usage, a 2-3gb limit sounds fair, I have a friend joining adsl24 next week, if things go well for him i'm off.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hardly consider 700mb download heavy usage, a 2-3gb limit sounds fair, I have a friend joining adsl24 next week, if things go well for him i'm off.
    It seems to be a figure in direct ratio to the BB speed that you are on, more likely to be viewed as the amount that can be downloaded at full pelt on your connection over a set period of time. If you go over that figure, then TS kicks in.

But this is supposition as VM have not made public any of the parameters in place.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That 700Meg is just within the 4PM - Midnight peak period so that is around 90Meg per hour. Outside of this period you can download as much as you like.. Seems quite fair to me.

As mossy says it has been worked out on the tier and amount of data that can be downloaded at full pelt over a defined time period.