Options

ipod tv out disabled

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,053
Forum Member
✭✭✭
For some reason I can't change the TV Out setting on my new ipod. It is defaulted to "No" but when I click on it the status doesn't change.

Is there something else I need to do or does it sound like the model has a defect?

Its a new ipod classic 80gb by the way.

Comments

• Options
    jammersjammers Posts: 4,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently the new iPod will only have TV out functionality if you use cables with a specific chip built into them from Apple or certain third party companies.
  • Options
    donelsondonelson Posts: 1,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please note: The iPod Classics are Chock Full of Bugs! Slow and buggy!

Apple has now enabled a "security" feature for all new iPods. This is a chip which prevents "unlicensed" products from connecting to the dock connector on the iPods (except for power).

You will find that most products which used to work via the dock connection, now no longer work.

If you buy a new iPod, your investment in those producs IS LOST.

Unless Apple relents, you are out of luck and will have to purchase upgrades or new products, for example, in-car adaptors, camera connector, TV-out, remote control systems, etc.

You can send Apple a complaint via

http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipod.html

Remember, Steve Jobs says "DRM is bad for music" as he doesn't actually own any of the music he's selling. BUT, he thinks DRM is good for his own products.

Hypocrite!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    lol ... go Apple!

Already got one?

Doesn't work any more?

Never mind ... I'm sure Apple will be happy to sell you a new one, at some silly price like £20 for a TV-out cable ... made by Apple, of course.

Don't suppose the aforemention cable is supplied with the iPod is it?
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope. Funny thing is, The 3G and 4G iPods used to come with loads of stuff thrown in.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    Yup.

And they have been cutting back on the extras included in the box with pretty much every recent new generation haven't they.

Think about it.

Not everyone with an older gen iPod rushes out to buy a new one when it comes out do they.

So, Apple wants to keep making money out of us. (Well, not me)

So ... include less in the box so you have to buy it. So people buy third party. Then disable the third party stuff (where possible) and make everyone buy Apple only.

Given that this is generic output cables and whatnot we're talking about thats pretty low .... in my opinion.

I don't like them (Apple) but I have to admit, they know how to fleece every last drop of cash out of their punters. :D

(My non-Apple PMP came with - video out cables, external power supply, USB host cable, leather case, cable bag, carry strap, headphones - even Apple still give you those - standard USB cable, software - ON CD if you want to use it, you don't have to ... all in the box. Oh and generic cables will work if I need to replace any of them. What nice people.)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    donelson wrote: »

Apple has now enabled a "security" feature for all new iPods. This is a chip which prevents "unlicensed" products from connecting to the dock connector on the iPods (except for power).

You will find that most products which used to work via the dock connection, now no longer work.

Unless Apple relents, you are out of luck and will have to purchase upgrades or new products, for example, in-car adaptors, camera connector, TV-out, remote control systems, etc.

Remember, Steve Jobs says "DRM is bad for music" as he doesn't actually own any of the music he's selling. BUT, he thinks DRM is good for his own products.

Hypocrite!

Why have you posted this 1o time all over the place?

It affect video out cables, nothing else as far as I am aware.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,928
    Forum Member
    Nope. Funny thing is, The 3G and 4G iPods used to come with loads of stuff thrown in.

yeah, there's less and less coming with ipods these days. not even a charger with a nano.
  • Options
    ComputerComputer Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5347610.htm

Can anyone confirm if this product will work fpr my 80gb ipod classic??

Only I'm getting the ipod on my b.day and am asking my nan to get me the charger and It'd be really embbarasing for me to have to ask for the recipt because it don't work .
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well that answers my question anyway thanks.

I shall manage without the tv out I think. It wasn't a big deal breaker.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    donelson wrote: »

Hypocrite!

Actually wrong

From Roughly Drafted:

The reality is that all the new iPods continue to support the same docks as they did, but their video output has changed due to using different hardware. The Nano and Classic continue to work with old docks and cables, while the Touch and the iPhone will require a new dock connector cable because they now output both composite and component video. They work differently; no conspiracy, no spy authentication chips.

The iPhone and the latest generation of iPods will work via a dock connector cable without a dock unit, so there's no chip involved. Even if there were, it would not be illegal for Apple to sell proprietary cables such as those that come with the Xbox, the Zune, the Palm Pilot, and most every music player and mobile phone on the market. The only difference is that Apple has kept its dock connector the same over the last several years so that iPod customers can reuse their old cables.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jammers wrote: »
    Actually wrong
    You may be right.

There are several sources for this story -

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/news/comments/apple-locks-tv-out-in-new-ipods-breaks-video-add-ons/
    "Did you buy an add-on display, dock, speaker system, car accessory or cable with video-out for your color 4G or 5G iPod? Were you expecting it to work with the iPod classic or new iPod nano? Think again."

"We have also confirmed that the new iPods do not work in popular portable video displays such as the Memorex iFlip and Sonic Impact Video-55, or most speakers with video output capabilities."
    The Apple iPod Camera Connector definitely does not work any longer.

The video out via Earphone connector no longer works for some reason (which has nothing to do with the dock).

Many other sources quote the requirement for "authentication" chips to get 3rd party cables, docks, e.g. Belkin, etc, to work.

Apple has made no official statement either way that I have seen.

Apple do say that the new video-out cables will cost $50 ! ! ! (And I thought the old $20 cables were pretty expensive)

I hope you are right, but I wish Apple would step up and tell us what will work, and what won't.

As for the other problems: Just make sure you have a good play with the unit before you buy, if you are worried.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It could be that Apple have been forced to include some kind of DRM on their video out cables, to prevent analogue copying, especially if they are to succeed with tv programmes in the itunes music store. It is possible that american tv/film studios have insisted on this before their programmes can be sold to view on ipods..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikeydb wrote: »
    It could be that Apple have been forced to include some kind of DRM on their video out cables, to prevent analogue copying, especially if they are to succeed with tv programmes in the itunes music store. It is possible that american tv/film studios have insisted on this before their programmes can be sold to view on ipods..
    No, that can't be it because they still offer composite and component ANALOGUE outputs. If you can feed it into an analogue TV, then you can feed it into a video or dvd-recorder...

I think it's just that they want to squeeze more money out of 3rd party manufacturers.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But do those analogue outputs have macrovision or anything similar to prevent copying?

Also, as has been suggested, it's merely a cost cutting excersise for apple, but increasing costs for existing ipod owners who wish to upgrade, and making life difficult for other peripheral vendors.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikeydb wrote: »
    Also, as has been suggested, it's merely a cost cutting excersise for apple, but increasing costs for existing ipod owners who wish to upgrade, and making life difficult for other peripheral vendors.
    Absolutely. They could have left the Composite out on the headphone socket, as in the 5G and 5.5G, and then put the Component out on the dock connector. They didn't have to disable the TV-out on the headphone connector!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    From Roughly Drafted:

The reality is that all the new iPods continue to support the same docks as they did, but their video output has changed due to using different hardware. The Nano and Classic continue to work with old docks and cables, ...

While this may be true for audio output of the new iPod Classic, it is not true for TV Out video.

I own both a 30G and 80G iPod Video, and recently bought a 160G Classic. I travel a great deal between two homes, and use my iPods very extensively for video. I own 4 AV docks and two AV cables:

2 Accurian AV Docks, Model AMA-2336 ($40)
    iPod Universal Dock, Model MA045G/C ($100)
    DLO Home Dock Deluxe, Model 009-9765 ($150)

Griffin iPod AV Home Connect Cable ($12)
    Apple iPod AV cable, M9765G/B ($20)

All of these work great for audio and video output from both iPod Videos; the iPod Classic will output video on NONE of them – only audio. Even the Apple iPod Universal Dock and Apple AV cable don't work for TV Out with the 160G Classic.

I might almost believe a very weak argument could be made for the docks not working as the new iPod Classic outputs composite and component audio, and therefore the dock connector pin-out changed. However, both the iPod Video and Classic output composite video, yet the TV Out on the 30G and 80G Video works through the AV connector cable plugged into the AV/earphone jack, and the new iPod Classic does not.

As Apple has been very quiet about this change in feature, and there is no “component output” argument to be made for this AV/earphone connector, I can only conclude this is a deliberate attempt on Apple’s part to force us to buy new (and expensive) cables and docks. Why else would an Apple brand dock and AV cable not work with the new Classic? Oh, and by the way? The new cables and docks are not available yet. 2 to 4 more weeks.

I am quite certain if this change had been driven by “content protection”, or some other legal or regulatory issue forced on Apple, they would have been very vocal about being forced to implement some form of DRM on the TV Out feature, and obsolete user’s previous accessories. But it has been such a quiet change, I can only conclude it means a deliberate effort to force third party accessories into obsolescence and capture that revenue for themselves, not a DRM issue.

If you look carefully enough, even Apple’s own web store acknowledges the Classic, new Nano, and iPod Touch don’t work with the Apple AV cable or DLO A/V Dock (which they sell.) Note the absence of the Classic, new Nano, and iPod Touch in the “Works With” icons at these links:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=1EA08367&nplm=M9765G/B

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=DF282178&nplm=TN568LL/A

Yet the new Apple Universal Dock, part #MB125G/A, (note the subtle name change from “iPod Universal Dock”, part # MA045G/C) does show Classic, new Nano, and Touch compatibility:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=F04326F1&nplm=MB125G/A

Apple has discontinued the iPod Universal Dock, and doesn’t even offer an AV cable for the new iPods using the AV/headphone jack – only cables that plug into the dock connector. Security chip or not, it appears Apple has disabled the TV Out feature for all new iPods for all accessories except their own or “authorized partners,” purely for their own gain, at the expense of any Apple owner that already has Apple or third party accessories.

I can only imagine how 3rd party OEMs that made docks feel about this. Companies such as Griffin, Accurian, Belkin, Sony, and a host of others have embraced Apple and helped make the iPod even more versatile and popular, and now have just been slapped down by Apple.

I have over $300 invested in my 6 docks and cables – I am not going to replace all these to use the new Classic. I took it back yesterday, and bought the last new 80G iPod Video my local Costco had to replace my 30G.

I am very disappointed Apple has embraced the same monopolistic practices about which they have been so very public in condemning Microsoft. In the absence of an explanation from them, I can come to no other conclusion.

I was looking forward to the iPhone being available with my cell service next year; no longer. Fortunately, there are still good competing alternatives in the cell phone market