silent witness on bbc1 now

1242526272830»

Comments

• anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Killary45 wrote: »
    I have quite enjoyed the earlier stories in this run so I recorded Thursday's episode intending to watch the two this evening.

Is it just me, or is it the most boring SW story ever? I could not take it any more and stopped watching half way through the first episode and deleted the second.

Have I made a mistake?

No. It was pretty boring. The second episode particularly was stretched out to fill the one hour brief. Are we meant to believe a doctor would go to all that trouble to cover up for his colleagues indiscretions all for the sake of losing a takeover deal ? Ludicrous.
  • via_487via_487 Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chloeb wrote: »
    I really can't take to jack at all, I don't find him likeable at all.
    I agree.
    He's angry, petulant and arrogant.
    Now I could take all that in a good well-rounded character who brings something to the plot, but IMHO the Jack character doesn't.
    Sure, the last 2 episodes were based on Jack and his reactions to his half-brother's involvement in the crime, but it was a pretty poor story anyway (and a pretty crap motive for the guy 'who dun it').

However, when it appeared that Jack might just be fired and not return for the next series, that worried me too.
    I would miss Clarissa and she came with Jack.
    Plus, although I like Haydn Gwynne and her character seemed to hint that it would be interesting and well-rounded, as Nickie herself pointed out, if Thomas replaced Jack with the Haydn Gwynne character, he would be heading an all-female team and I don't think that would work.
    I also think that Nickie's character needs a male character to work with (but I could be wrong).
    The answer would be replace Jack with a better male character, but somehow keep Clarissa and perhaps have some episodes with Haydn Gwynne....perhaps....
  • Pet MonkeyPet Monkey Posts: 11,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like Jack, but then I like moody buggers. It helps that Caves is a proper actor (as I am prone annoyingly to call people who have a Shakespeare background). Maybe his theatre work makes him 'wrong' for tv for some watchers?? Very different disciplines / skills. But I dunno. He stands out for me in a cast that isn't too strong.

It was good to have an episode where the copper didn't do it so the season closer was probably the strongest episode for me, or one of the stronger ones at any rate. The killer's motivation was hubristic and distorted but it made an arrogant sense. A medical cover up gone crazy. My only query was whether the killing method really fitted the killer. His clear ups were intelligent, methodical, informed so why was he running people over and using everyday violence? He seemed a fastidious kind of guy to me. Those killings weren't fastidious.
  • roverboy1965roverboy1965 Posts: 1,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    via_487 wrote: »
    I agree.
    He's angry, petulant and arrogant.
    Now I could take all that in a good well-rounded character who brings something to the plot, but IMHO the Jack character doesn't.
    Sure, the last 2 episodes were based on Jack and his reactions to his half-brother's involvement in the crime, but it was a pretty poor story anyway (and a pretty crap motive for the guy 'who dun it').

However, when it appeared that Jack might just be fired and not return for the next series, that worried me too.
    I would miss Clarissa and she came with Jack.
    Plus, although I like Haydn Gwynne and her character seemed to hint that it would be interesting and well-rounded, as Nickie herself pointed out, if Thomas replaced Jack with the Haydn Gwynne character, he would be heading an all-female team and I don't think that would work.
    I also think that Nickie's character needs a male character to work with (but I could be wrong).
    The answer would be replace Jack with a better male character, but somehow keep Clarissa and perhaps have some episodes with Haydn Gwynne....perhaps....

I hope jack goes, he's angry, arrogant and voices his opinion when he should really keep his gob shut making him very unprofessional.

In reality he wouldn't last long in his job with his attitude especially the way he talks to the police officers and the public (the way he spoke to that club manageress telling her to go away in her own club as if he had authority I'd have ordered him straight off the premises along with a strong complaint to the police and his boss as really he's just a civvy with no real power or authority).

Not at all likeable .
  • PrinceOfDenmarkPrinceOfDenmark Posts: 2,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got it now, and feel stupid.:blush:

Can you explain it to me? I've just watched it and I don't get it either!