Capital Playlist and their strange choices

Comments

• paulbaxpaulbax Posts: 2,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course you have a right to be an Alexandra fan. But to blame the decline in her career on a single radio station is utter nonsense.
    Theres a lot of factors involved in the disaster of last year for Alex, but radio banning is undeniably one of the leading forces. She still had the support of the public in the beginning, proven by how "Elephant" went to number 3 with no radio support whatsoever. Look at this article I scanned from around the time her album was released, You can tell she was totally drained with all the drama.
    http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/6093/img0272vn.jpg
    She didn't deserve that, especially when she has more vocal talent than most of the top 40 combined!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No Capital / other Global stations is a promotional / money making tool for artists they have a financial stake in or as much as they can get away with anyway within Broadcasting Licence rules.They seem to be stretching those rules to the limit.

On the current playlist, which of the artists do Global have a stake in.

And what are the Broadcasting Licence rules?
  • paulbaxpaulbax Posts: 2,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    Their controller was very rude posting those insulting pictures about her song on Twitter. Seems the horrible attitude runs right through the whole company. :rolleyes::yawn:
    Yeah I remember it all, I'm a positive person and always look on the bright side of things but I had a sinking feeling in my stomach around this time for her career. It was a horrible time for sure!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulbax wrote: »
    Theres a lot of factors involved in the disaster of last year for Alex, but radio banning is undeniably one of the leading forces. She still had the support of the public in the beginning, proven by how "Elephant" went to number 3 with no radio support whatsoever. Look at this article I scanned from around the time her album was released, You can tell she was totally drained with all the drama.
    http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/6093/img0272vn.jpg
    She didn't deserve that, especially when she has more vocal talent than most of the top 40 combined!

It's interesting how she had to "rely on TV plays" for Let It Go. I remember watching Girls Aloud: Off The Record, when the band was releasing Whole Lotta History in 2006. The marketing PR stressed how much music video channels carry as much weight as radio does to impact the sales. Looking back then and now, it is fairly obvious that TV plays are getting less significant, since Youtube/VEVO became heavy hitters and most new songs enter the charts before the video is even released. So, it is partially a shame how TV plays don't really have the promotional impact anymore, as it used to.
  • Sam SolitudeSam Solitude Posts: 341
    Forum Member
    This. I haven't listened to radio for years. I listened to it a lot in my teens but grew out of it quickly enough, thank God. It really is bloody awful.

Same here.Who needs radio when most folk have a mp3 music player like an i-pod or Blackberry/smartphone to play any song you want at any given time ??

Radio just plays commercials, crap music & waffling ninny presenters.Random MP3s on my i-pod for me everytime !!
  • Jimbob91Jimbob91 Posts: 679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Puterkid wrote: »
    Interesting, I do wonder how all stations choose their playlist, there often seems little logic. If there is wheeling and dealing behind radio 1 and 2, then that needs exposing. Capital is a different animal, presumably, they can do what they want. I never listen to the station, the ads drive me nuts, let alone the repetitive playlist!

I myself would imagine there's likely to be more funny business going on at commercial stations when it comes to playlist selection compared to BBC Radio. I was speaking to somebody the other week who said that the big labels aren't allowed to in effect bribe radio stations into playing their songs, ie give them money in return for playing the music. They get around this though by employing middlemen to promote the music for them and go around the radio stations and other media outlets, offering them exclusive interviews, first plays and so on, usually in return for making sure their newest artists get exposure and therefore break into the charts.

I'd like to think this doesn't happen at a BBC station due to the commercial pressure not being there but who knows...
    Eric_Blob wrote: »
    Radio 1 and Radio 2 are nowhere near as bad as Capital at least. Radio 1 might not play rock songs, but at least in the genres they DO play (dance, hip hop, etc.) they often playlist some quite obscure songs, and you're not constantly hearing songs from 15 months ago on Radio 1.

Also, Capital FM is more important for the charts than Radio 1 is. Capital FM can get songs to #1 almost all by themselves (as demonstrated with Twilight by Cover Drive), that station has so much power, it's a shame it has such a boring playlist.

Agreed, commercial radio all tend to play the same or similar songs and have a massive influence when it comes to the charts! Radio 1 have an influence but to a lesser extent I guess. They definitely have more variety though, they also seem to have quite a bit of rock playlisted at the moment actually - off the top of my head Biffy Clyro, Bullet For My Valentine, Don Broco and Mallory Knox are all on there, plus Bring Me The Horizon which certainly woke me up when I heard it this morning :D
  • Souffle GirlSouffle Girl Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    Same here.Who needs radio when most folk have a mp3 music player like an i-pod or Blackberry/smartphone to play any song you want at any given time ??

Radio just plays commercials, crap music & waffling ninny presenters.Random MP3s on my i-pod for me everytime !!

I know people who have to listen to it all day in their places of work/on the way to work... the same songs and waffling, patronising DJs day in day out. I would go stark raving bonkers if I had to put up with that.

I don't know how anyone can gain any pleasure from the radio. I truly find it unlistenable. Even a few minutes of it when I'm in someone's car drives me 'round the bend.
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know people who have to listen to it all day in their places of work/on the way to work... the same songs and waffling, patronising DJs day in day out. I would go stark raving bonkers if I had to put up with that.

I don't know how anyone can gain any pleasure from the radio. I truly find it unlistenable. Even a few minutes of it when I'm in someone's car drives me 'round the bend

Me too, I only listen to CDs in the car and when I go in my husband's he has Angel FM on! :eek: He usually turns it off as he cannot hear me talking and giving directions with the radio on. (He's a bit deaf!)
  • gettygetty Posts: 3,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last ten songs on Capital,
    Rita Ora - How We Do
    Maroon 5 - One More Night
    Labrinth - Beneath You're Beautiful
    Calvin Harris+ Flrorence and The Machine - Spectrum (Say My Name)
    Conor Maynard - Turn Around
    Katy Perry - Part Of Me
    Lawson - Standing In The Dark
    Olly Murs - Troublemaker
    Adele - Rolling In The Deep
    Rihanna - Stay
    More old songs than new ones and all the same batch of artists.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had to listen to Capital FM at work the other day. Within a couple of hours I heard 2 Taylor Swift songs, 2 Olly Murs and 3 by Rita Ora (including her new one which the DJ referred to as a "choon!") Thank god for Radio 2!
  • t0264t0264 Posts: 893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Capital just played:
    Taylor Swift - I Knew You Were Trouble
    Justin Bieber - Beauty and a Beat
    The Script, will.i.am - Hall Of Fame
    Little Mix - DNA
    Pink - Try
    Maroon 5, Wiz Khalifa - Payphone
    Olly Murs, Flo Rida - Troublemaker
    Rita Ora - Radioactive
    Rudimental - Feel the Love
    Lawson - Learn To Love Again

Not too bad, the usual hits, Lawson and Rita Ora are both new singles, but why Capital refuse to play Rudimental's latest single 'Not Giving In' and instead overplay the 12 month old 'Feel The Love' is beyond me.

There's nothing wrong with playing recurrents such as David Guetta's 'Without You' and Usher's 'DJ Got Us Falling In Love', I even heard Esmee Denters. It adds a bit of variety and seems to go down well with the listeners, but songs that they refuse to stop playing in the first place eg 'Feel The Love', 'Domino' is beyond me.. although at least Do It Like A Dude seems to be replacing Domino.

I can see why they don't want to drop The Script from the playlist, but 'Hall of Fame' came out over 6 months ago and hasn't stopped being played, maybe they could replace it with 'For The First Time' - that hasn't been played in a while. Some other 2010/2011 recurrents like Diddy Dirty Money, 'More' by Usher and 'Firework' by Katy Perry, Love The Way You Lie by Eminem, Rihanna would be nice.
  • Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    ^ The thing is, those older songs like Without You, OMG and DJ Got Us Fallin in Love (man, thye love Usher, don't they!) that they play, it's ALWAYS them. I mean, there were hundreds of chart hits in 2010/2011. Why is it always the same few? It's like they have a list of 20 "old" songs and they pick one to play every hour. I just don't get it.

Radio 1 are always playing pre-2011 songs as well, but it's not the same ones each time. I have nothing against going back to the previous decade for a song every now and then. I love the 00s. But there's no point when it's always Only Girl or Dead and Gone that they play... I'd like it if they played a song, and you thought "Oh, I haven't heard that in a while". But you hear Without You or something on Capital every few days.

Hall of Fame, Payphone and Feel the Love need to be completely removed from the station now. There's many other songs which will get a good response from Capital's listeners that they can replace them with.
  • siriusrosesiriusrose Posts: 1,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to CompareMyRadio.com they have a variety gauge of just 3% which is ridiculous! Compare that to other nation wide stations like BBCRadio 2 who have 60% & BBC Radio 1 who have 38%. Local stations seem to have more variety too, just taken Metro Radio as an example (as it's my local station) and that manages 17%. Apparently they've played Locked Out Of Heaven 228 times in the last 30 days. I understand that they have favoured songs and artists and might not want to branch out too far in to genres that will alienate their core fanbase, but there's still plenty of songs and artists they could play that they aren't. It makes me very thankful that airplay doesn't contribute to our charts.
    http://comparemyradio.com/stations/Capital_FM
  • Souffle GirlSouffle Girl Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    getty wrote: »
    More old songs than new ones

That's very strange. Why do they do this? Not like there aren't new songs being released all the time.
    Forum Member
    If you speak to Capital FM about this they come up with some crap like "Oh, this song tests well with our listeners so we'll keep playing it. Sorry".

This is a load of crap. They played Starships by Nicki Minaj once every few hours literally from the day it was released (until now basically). They had no need to "test" that song. So why do they need to "test" other songs?

I have a local station called BRMB (it recently changed to Free Radio), which manages to play current chart hits (and hits from the past few years as well), but also doesn't stay repetitive. I rarely hear the same song twice in a day on that station, even though they're playing just chart hits too, basically.
  • shaunnashinesshaunnashines Posts: 5,698
    Forum Member
    HandsClean wrote: »
    All of those acts have children and young teenagers as there primary fanbase. They've simply moved onto playing something else.

So teenagers don't listen to the likes of Flo Rida, Jessie J, Rihanna etc? :rolleyes:
  • HogeyzHogeyz Posts: 1,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you speak to Capital FM about this they come up with some crap like "Oh, this song tests well with our listeners so we'll keep playing it. Sorry".

This is a load of crap. They played Starships by Nicki Minaj once every few hours literally from the day it was released (until now basically). They had no need to "test" that song. So why do they need to "test" other songs?

I have a local station called BRMB (it recently changed to Free Radio), which manages to play current chart hits (and hits from the past few years as well), but also doesn't stay repetitive. I rarely hear the same song twice in a day on that station, even though they're playing just chart hits too, basically.

BRMB or free as it's now called isn't local. Free radio is basically Bauers answer to Capital. It has the same restrictions on playlist, the same networked approach. Im afraid that's where radio is headed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 457
    Forum Member

I'm on capitals email list and they always email me to listen to song and do a survey, which must be their "testing". For every song I choose the "I'm tired of hearing this" selection because I genuinely am. Surely most other people who do the survey answer the same, a couple of the songs yesterday were We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together and Diamonds. Who can seriously say they are not tired of these songs? Both artists are well into new singles already anyway!
    Forum Member
    Hogeyz wrote: »
    BRMB or free as it's now called isn't local. Free radio is basically Bauers answer to Capital. It has the same restrictions on playlist, the same networked approach. Im afraid that's where radio is headed.

No, sorry. I listen to both Free radio and Capital FM a lot, and the former has a LOT more variety, and I rarely hear the same song twice in a day.

I don't care if it's got a big company behind it or not. That doesn't bother me at all. I just want good music. I'm not going to expect a pop radio station to play underground or rock songs all the time. I listen to Radio 1Xtra or Rinse FM for the underground tunes. For pop songs, I WANT to listen to Capital, but it's impossible without being driven insane lol. It's fine that Free radio plays a lot of chart music, that's what the station is for. You can't seriously think it's as bad as Capital with its reptitiveness.

With Capital FM, you could listen to it now, and listen to it 6 months later, and they'll be playing pretty much the same songs. I assume you don't listen to these two stations regularly, since there's a huge difference between how frequently they play songs, and how long they keep them in heavy rotation.
    So teenagers don't listen to the likes of Flo Rida, Jessie J, Rihanna etc? :rolleyes:

Not as much as you would think. Those artists are more popular with females though I imagine. Jessie J and Rihanna are Heart FM staples. Flo Rida would be too if he was a singer rather than a rapper.

Sacha Brooks just tweeted "YESSSSS! WE Capital are finally playing @disclosure_uk - Latch!"

I'm glad. They've just premiered their new single, White Noise, and it's amazing, so hopefully Capital can get that in rotation by February at least (it's perfect for the station, no need to "test" it).

Capital FM have also started playing Thrift Shop too. It puts them out of their comfort zone as a station (they don't like playing hip hop), but I'm sure they're aware of how big it's going to be, they may as well start playing it now.
  • -ajm--ajm- Posts: 5,832
    Forum Member
    On the current playlist, which of the artists do Global have a stake in.

And what are the Broadcasting Licence rules?

The Competition Commission looked into it and said its fine.
    Clancey83 wrote: »
    I had to listen to Capital FM at work the other day. Within a couple of hours I heard 2 Taylor Swift songs, 2 Olly Murs and 3 by Rita Ora (including her new one which the DJ referred to as a "choon!") Thank god for Radio 2!

Radio 2 and Capital arn't comparable.
    If it's due to preference then ok but they're completely different formats.
    I personally listen to Wave 105, Kiss or Capital.
    siriusrose wrote: »
    According to CompareMyRadio.com they have a variety gauge of just 3% which is ridiculous! Compare that to other nation wide stations like BBCRadio 2 who have 60% & BBC Radio 1 who have 38%.

Capital "plays the hits". It's not about variety. I think the Bauer stations add in more AC type songs. Also the BBC will have variety as its a PSB so are required to play many genres.

Bauer do not own Free radio.
    www.orionmedia.com
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 350
    Forum Member
    -ajm- wrote: »
    They did? This is news to me. What did they say exactly?
  • Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Free Radio is owned by Orion Media, a Birmingham based media company.

http://www.mediauk.com/organisations/345147/orion-media
  • Scratchy7929Scratchy7929 Posts: 3,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -ajm- wrote: »

More of a concern for Ofcom I would have thought especially
    Cross-promotion relationships
    5.3 Certain relationships between broadcasters (which are based on shareholdings or
    voting power) create a rebuttable presumption that there are sufficient incentives
    for the promoting channel to provide another channel or broadcasting-related
    service
    with free airtime without the need for additional consideration. In these
    specific circumstances Ofcom would not, in the absence of evidence to the
    contrary, consider these Cross-promotions to be advertising. However, if Ofcom
    believes that payment or some other consideration has passed or is passing
    between the parties, these types of arrangements could be investigated under the
    advertising minutage rules and may be counted as advertising minutage.
  • ArtyAttackArtyAttack Posts: 67,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ryan11 wrote: »
    Now I know why they play Lawson all the time.

Lawson and The Wanted are played far too much and any competition to them is ignored., Terrible radio station that has far too much influence in the UK. They need investigating.
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely it is a "Catch 22" situation. The songs mentioned in previous posts are hits BECAUSE they are played constantly, which, in turn, makes them hits!