Transfering files via ethernet

GoodBuddyGoodBuddy Posts: 2,211
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have a large amount of files that I need to transfer from 1 laptop (win 7) to another laptop (win 8). Its around 20gb as was wondering about using an Ethernet cable. Having googled it there is mixed info about what cable I have to use. I do have a straightforward one that went into my router when my pc was hard wired.

I could of course spend a while transferring via a flash drive but was hoping that an Ethernet cable would be quick and easy.

Having never connected 2 PC's together this way and advice would be appreciated,

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    could you not transfer them across the network
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you know nothing of ip addresses and other subtle parts of the protocols needed it will be quicker to just dump so much on a load on a stick and copy it over than having to setup ethernet ports with specific details just for one job
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    why ip address and so forth, turn on share on the folder and copy it across
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Yep memory stick.
  • GoodBuddyGoodBuddy Posts: 2,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cardbus wrote: »
    could you not transfer them across the network

The Win 8 laptop isn't on my network yet as a friend needs to bring it over tomorrow. I only have a spare 4gb stick which I was hoping I would not have to use.

How long would it take to transfer 20gb over a network?
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    GoodBuddy wrote: »
    The Win 8 laptop isn't on my network yet as a friend needs to bring it over tomorrow. I only have a spare 4gb stick which I was hoping I would not have to use.

How long would it take to transfer 20gb over a network?

If you are both wired to the network 35-40 minutes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    If you are both wired to the network 35-40 minutes.

It will be wireless.
  • BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For wired PC to PC connection, you need a crossover cable.

If you have gigabit, it will be quicker than any other method, you will probably need to set up a domain and enable sharing.

http://www.wikihow.com/Connect-Two-Computers
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If you have gigabit, it will be quicker than any other method, you will probably need to set up a domain and enable sharing.

I don't have a crossover cable so i will just have to be patient and do lots of swapping with memory sticks. Thanks for the suggestions.
  • LoobsterLoobster Posts: 11,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GoodBuddy wrote: »
    It will be wireless.

Urgh ....... don't hold your breath then ....
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You don't need to setup a domain to achieve sharing :rolleyes:
  • oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most modern laptops do not need a crossover cable. They are clever enough to auto cross using normal cable.

All you need is both pcs to ingbe in same workgroup and share tbe folders with data.

Even on standard ethernet of 100 Mb/s equals 12.5 MB/s
    Transfer will be 80 seconds per GB, or 1600 secs for 20 GB. Actually it might take a bit longer as you rarely get full speed.

It will still be 2 or 3 times faster than wifi unless you have wireless n.
  • DaedrothDaedroth Posts: 3,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Using a cross-over-cable, all you need to do is ensure the computers are on the same IP range, and you know the credentials to get onto the other machine if required.
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Daedroth wrote: »
    Using a cross-over-cable, all you need to do is ensure the computers are on the same IP range, and you know the credentials to get onto the other machine if required.

You don't need a crossover cable with modern PCs as they all (all?) have auto-MDIX. Even if one of them is old then as long as the other is so equipped then you are okay.

Of course the simplest thing is to just have connected by the Ethernet switch you are using in the first place - the one on the router would be fine assuming the OP has a router with multiple Ethernet ports. This way you don't have to worry about IP addresses as the router will assign them via DHCP.
  • Mr DosMr Dos Posts: 3,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    20GB ? use a flash drive. Back in the days of floppy, it used to be called sneakernet ie walk across the room !
  • Kolin KlingonKolin Klingon Posts: 4,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Dos wrote: »
    20GB ? use a flash drive. Back in the days of floppy, it used to be called sneakernet ie walk across the room !

20GB transferred via floppies! That's a lot of sneaker work!
  • BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    You don't need to setup a domain to achieve sharing :rolleyes:

Workgroup, I haven't done if for some years, as you guessed.:p

I use a terrabyte usb drive now.:)
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another option if all else fails - use writable DVD's.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found in an old box of leads a 500gb hard drive that I had forgotten about in a caddy and all the leads to connect it up.

Not exactly sure how long it took- I had a cup of tea while it was copying and it was done by the time I had finished the drink.:)
  • s2ks2k Posts: 7,410
    Forum Member
    oilman wrote: »
    All you need is both pcs to ingbe in same workgroup
    You don't need to do this. As long as both machines are in the same subnet (best to plug both machines into a router if you are unsure how to manually configure IP addresses) and the windows firewall is either off or configured to permit file sharing it should be fine.

OP seems to be sorted now anyway :)
  • oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you install ftp on both PCs (filezilla sa), one as a server, and one as a client, I have found you can transfer files at pretty much the 100 mbs limit of a standard ethernet, where as by windows was often much slower (doube the time) especially if many files.

I know the OP is sorted now, but perhaps this will give him some more ideas in the future.