Behind the Candelabra

2»

Comments

• heikerheiker Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    I barely recognize Dan Akroyd in this until right near the end. Same for Scott Bakula.

I thought Douglas also underplayed Liberace at times, perhaps trying to make him seem sympathetically child like, but all in all a good send off for Soderbergh if he is done with movies for good.

I was even worse...I didn't recognise Dan Akroyd at all :o
  • DanielFDanielF Posts: 2,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    heiker wrote: »
    I was even worse...I didn't recognise Dan Akroyd at all :o

See, and people moan about Clark Kent just putting on some glasses... ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think they will get oscar nominations, because this film was actually show on television in America, where as here it got a cinema release. They will likely be nominated for emmys and golden globes.

According to the Academy rules, it definitely can't be nommed because the film hasn't met the following criteria;
    c.for paid admission in a commercial motion picture theater in Los Angeles County
  • Froggie72Froggie72 Posts: 5,733
    Forum Member
    clitheroe1 wrote: »
    I thought it was very good as a film told from the perspective of Scott Thorsen, however I think there are other interesting stories about Liberace (like the court case with the Daily Mirror which was only mentioned in passing) which may have given the film even more depth had they been included. Michael Douglas was a revelation in that role, I never would have imagined him as Liberace but the casting was inspired as he was excellent. I stayed for the credits at the end (yes, I'm that sad) and it was only then when I realised that Debbie Reynolds played the role of his mother.

Just back from seeing this wonderful movie and one of the best bits was the text that Michael Douglas was reading over the credits. You're not sad - it's those who left as soon as the film ended who lost out! Anyone knows where this poem comes from??
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw it yesterday. It's interesting that it's been so successful in the UK. Two women walked out of the screening less than half way through, which made me wonder what kind of film they were expecting. The rest of the audience stayed and chuckled, laughed and audibly winced (anyone who's seen it will know why) and generally seemed gripped by what is an enjoyable story told with flair and compassion, and some excellent performances.

As a footnote, Soderbergh's recreation of Las Vegas in the late 70s/early 80s is less kitsch than Ben Affleck's recreation of Tehran in the same era. Despite the ludicrous ostentation the period detail doesn't overshadow the story.
  • barrowgirlbarrowgirl Posts: 1,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Froggie72 wrote: »
    Just back from seeing this wonderful movie and one of the best bits was the text that Michael Douglas was reading over the credits. You're not sad - it's those who left as soon as the film ended who lost out! Anyone knows where this poem comes from??[/QUOTE]

Damn , I missed that bit , when you find out will you post ?

I loved the movie , thought Matt D and Michael Douglas both did great jobs. Loved Debbie Reynolds as his mum "I'll take a cheque " !
  • abigail1234abigail1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw this and loved it - it was so much better than I thought and all the cast played their roles superbly
  • Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,148
    Forum Member
    I was looking forward to it, but it was even better than I expected. Michael Douglas was excellent, but Matt Damon was a revelation, fantastic performance, and very touching, especially at the end.

Shame on Hollywood for their hypocrisy, yet they released the totally boring Brokeback Mountain in US cinema's, I don't get it! :confused:
  • Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thoroughly enjoyed everything about this film. Michael and Matt were both brilliant in the roles; Michael got the gravelly voice very well and as for Matt playing Scott, well I forgot it was him! I too hadn't twigged Mum was Debbie Reynolds, who looked more like Mrs. Merton! As for Rob Lowe, well there was much laughter in the audience at his taut face!

For anyone else wondering about Michael Douglas' seemingly amazing piano skills.....

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/behind-screen/behind-candelabra-michael-douglas-liberace-558901
  • mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    ironjade wrote: »
    Anyone who remembers Liberace's ATV specials would see that Michael Douglas' portrayal, enjoyable as it was, was nowhere near smarmy enough.

Douglas was better as Liberace than Liberace would have been in Basic Instinct
  • barrowgirlbarrowgirl Posts: 1,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mickmars wrote: »
    Douglas was better as Liberace than Liberace would have been in Basic Instinct

:D:D:D
  • DanielFDanielF Posts: 2,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If anyone who enjoyed this has a Kindle, Thorson's original book is 99p today as part of their Daily Deals :)
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For anyone else wondering about Michael Douglas' seemingly amazing piano skills.....

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/behind-screen/behind-candelabra-michael-douglas-liberace-558901
    I thought it was pretty obvious they put Michael's head digitally on to someone elses body, you can see a few times where his head movements don't match the body and the neck hasn't been 'joined' properly.

I'm also pretty sure that one of the kisses between Douglas and Damon is done in the same way, but the others looked real, strangely.
  • KarisKaris Posts: 6,380
    Forum Member
    Paddy C wrote: »
    I'm also pretty sure that one of the kisses between Douglas and Damon is done in the same way, but the others looked real, strangely.

Ooh the shock! Imagine two male actors having to kiss in a movie these days... Someone call Orson Scott Card! :D