Options

Humax 2000T picture breaks up....

theiatheia Posts: 1,811
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I really would appreciate some help.

I setup my humax a week ago but the picture frequently breaks up and/or freezes. Without the humax my television is fine so it has nothing to do with the arial, it has to be a problem either in the way I've set it up or with the box.

I'm certainly not technically minded but I've followed the set up instructions and even started from scratch again to ensure I've done everything correctly.

I am almost tearing my hair out and wonder if I've done something wrong?

I would be so grateful for any input.

Comments

• Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    theia wrote: »
    I really would appreciate some help.

I setup my humax a week ago but the picture frequently breaks up and/or freezes. Without the humax my television is fine so it has nothing to do with the arial, it has to be a problem either in the way I've set it up or with the box.

I'm certainly not technically minded but I've followed the set up instructions and even started from scratch again to ensure I've done everything correctly.

I am almost tearing my hair out and wonder if I've done something wrong?

I would be so grateful for any input.

Your signal could be too strong for the Humax tuners. Try adding an aerial attenuator like this one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TV-Aerial-Attenuator-Variable-0-20Db-Freeview-Digital-/150673681690?pt=UK_ConElec_TVAerials_RL&hash=item2314d9ed1a
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you very much for your response.

I did have an older Humax that worked fine with the signal (well until it gave up through age, I think). Is the new model more sensitive?

Please note that you're talking to a complete novice who knows almost nothing about aerials, freeview boxes etc :blush:
  • Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you very much for your response.

I did have an older Humax that worked fine with the signal (well until it gave up through age, I think). Is the new model more sensitive?

Please note that you're talking to a complete novice who knows almost nothing about aerials, freeview boxes etc :blush:

I don't have the HDR2000T, but I do have the model it replaces (HDR FOX T2), I had to fit a attenuator to get reliable reception on the HD channels. There is two ways to reduce the signal level to see if that's the issue.

1 Fit a aerial splitter before the HDR2000T using one output to feed the TV and the other the HDR2000T. This has the advantage that it gets over the problem that the box has no aerial loopthrough in sby.

2 Use a variable attenuator like the one linked to.

Without test equipment the best advice is try one and see.

Of course the reverse is possible and the new box has less sensitive tuners. This is not normally the case with Humax Freeview kit.
  • Options
    Martin LiddleMartin Liddle Posts: 3,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Graham's suggestion for an attenuator is one possible solution but before going down that route tell us what signal strength and quality you have (Menu button>System>Signal Detection). Whilst on that screen press right arrow (to the right of OK button). You will see a list of multiplex channel numbers. Tell us what the numbers are and what transmitter you receive from and roughly how far away from it you are (if you don't know this then tell us the first part of your post code).
  • Options
    Luis EssexLuis Essex Posts: 2,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The HDR-2000T is the same as the later batches of HDR-FOX T2. It is not as good on weaker signals as the earlier batchies of HDR-FOX T2 and the 9200T/9300Ts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Graham's suggestion for an attenuator is one possible solution but before going down that route tell us what signal strength and quality you have (Menu button>System>Signal Detection). Whilst on that screen press right arrow (to the right of OK button). You will see a list of multiplex channel numbers. Tell us what the numbers are and what transmitter you receive from and roughly how far away from it you are (if you don't know this then tell us the first part of your post code).

TR11

Sorry, as I said, I'm a complete novice...is the above what you need?

Thanks
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Strength is 24

Quality 100
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When watching live TV please would you press the OK button.
    You will get a list of the TV channels. Please would you report back how many channels it lists that are numbered 800 or more.

Unfortunately the HDR-2000T currently does not auto-tune very well and if you have a lot of 800+ channels this will most likely be the cause of your problem.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Luis Essex wrote: »
    When watching live TV please would you press the OK button.
    You will get a list of the TV channels. Please would you report back how many channels it lists that are numbered 800 or more.

Unfortunately the HDR-2000T currently does not auto-tune very well and if you have a lot of 800+ channels this will most likely be the cause of your problem.

Thank you so much for your help and your patience.

The highest number is 790, which says "test".

It plays perfectly for a short while and, like now, it's almost constantly breaking up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Strength is 24

Quality 100

That is quite a low signal strength; I would rule out Graham's suggestion for now. Based on what you have provided, I think your box is currently tuned to Caradon Hill which is 60km away and unlikely to overload the tuners. Based on the DigitalUK web site you might do better tuned to Redruth. I suggest following the manual tuning instructions at Link to MyHumax and use multiplex channels 41, 44, 47 (this the HD channel and needs transmission type changing to DVB-T2), 48, 51, 52. What happens will very much depend on which direction your aerial is pointing.
  • Options
    SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I’ve got a signal strength of 75% on my 2000T and I sometimes get message come up when selecting a programme to play and it says something like “this recording failed because of weak signal do you want to play anyway, yes or no” and selecting yes to play, the media plays with no problems at all.

So I think this receiver could be a bit deaf but I have an in line distribution amp with variable outputs so it’s just a case of changing it to one with more amplification, when I can get around to it.:)

Just to add, this is the type of thing I use and the OP may find needed.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1068728.htm#pdpFullProductInformation

No need to worry about loop through ether.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your replies...it has taken me a little while to pluck up the courage to carry out the instructions above. I had someone to help me today but after they had left, the signal was still poor and i dont think they saved the changes. But I've done it! Sadly I've lost several channels in the process and if I return to automatic settings to get them back, won't this mean that they'll be on the wrong transmitter again?

Thanks
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had someone to help me today but after they had left, the signal was still poor and i dont think they saved the changes. But I've done it! Sadly I've lost several channels in the process and if I return to automatic settings to get them back, won't this mean that they'll be on the wrong transmitter again?
    So what is the signal strength and quality now and what channels have you lost?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Postscript....

I went back to the manual tuning and tuned in the first number (41) and the missing channels have reappeared....perhaps I failed to save it the first time too!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went back to the manual tuning and tuned in the first number (41) and the missing channels have reappeared....perhaps I failed to save it the first time too!
    So what is the signal strength and quality now?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So what is the signal strength and quality now and what channels have you lost?

Well, now the signal is way up...probably in the 60s. And, as I said above, I seem to have refound the missing channels.

Thank you so much for your reply...I dare not say I won't be back...I keep checking the new signal strength to make sure it hasn't dropped again!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, now the signal is way up...probably in the 60s. And, as I said above, I seem to have refound the missing channels.
    Good. i don't think the signal strength will drop. Humax improved the automatic tuning on the HDR-FOX T2 some time ago but there are enough reports around to suggest that the HDR-2000T hasn't benefited from the changes. Hopefully a software update will improve the situation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your help earlier in the year. The signal has been fine tuned to the right transmitter. There were a few blips in the summer which, rightly or wrongly, I put down to atmospheric conditions. But over the past month, the picture keeps breaking up again, intermittently. I've checked that I'm tuned to the same transmitter, which I am, and I wonder what is causing the problem..

Any ideas anyone? Many thanks
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your help earlier in the year. The signal has been fine tuned to the right transmitter. There were a few blips in the summer which, rightly or wrongly, I put down to atmospheric conditions. But over the past month, the picture keeps breaking up again, intermittently. I've checked that I'm tuned to the same transmitter, which I am, and I wonder what is causing the problem..

Any ideas anyone? Many thanks
    Please would you re-confirm that you are tuned to one transmitter by reporting which frequencies you are tuned to and which transmitter you are trying to use.
    To see which frequencies you are really tuned to the HDR-2000T does give a list
    MENU -> Settings -> System -> Signal Detection -> right arrow.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, Luis

The channels are 41, 44, 48, 51, 52
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The channels are 41, 44, 48, 51, 52
    They look fine but you seem to be missing the HD mux? What software version is the Humax using?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, yes, no HD number, I just checked again.

Sorry, but could you explain "software version" to me so that I can check. Thanks
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, yes, no HD number, I just checked again.

Sorry, but could you explain "software version" to me so that I can check. Thanks

When you did the manual tune is one of the options in there to set either DVB-T or DVB-T2? If so it is possible that you need to change the DVB-T to DVB-T2 to tune into the HD mux (or muxes if you can get COM7) in order to receive and save the HD channels.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    could you explain "software version" to me so that I can check. Thanks
    Using the remote press MENU and then select Settings -> System -> System Information
    The second white line down will state the Software Version.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Luis Essex wrote: »
    Using the remote press MENU and then select Settings -> System -> System Information
    The second white line down will state the Software Version.

UKTFAC 1.00.07