Options

Fleabag - BBC Three

Comments

• Options
    broker2304broker2304 Posts: 779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can honestly say that I have absolutely, positively hated Hugh Dennis in everything he has ever done and gone out of my way to avoid him. Well, well, well. In this he was brilliant. If I'd realised he was going to make an appearance I would't have given Fleabag a chance but I'm glad I did.

The scene with him sat with Fleabag smoking a **** outside the retreat was really quite moving as was the last scene of the series when they were both sat in the cafe. As others have said, I found the first couple of episodes a little hard going but I think they needed to be that way to set the scene properly. Caught up with all the episodes on BBC3 iplayer and would definitely like to see more if it were the same high quality.
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Excellent cameo from Hugh Dennis in the most recent episode, a curious one really as fleabag was nearly content in a strange way but then revealed the truth of the matter.

Some good lines among the silence "Help I've been stung by a wasp" and "we're paying them so we can clean their house!"
  • Options
    tortoisepersontortoiseperson Posts: 3,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found it curiously compelling and have just bingewatched it back to back. The twist in part 6 winded me like a punch to the gut and although I think it was very powerful, if I could un-watch it, I would as I now feel really depressed.
  • Options
    suesuesuesuesuesue Posts: 16,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This was excellent, shame it didn't generate much interest on DS. The breaking the fourth wall worked so well. I've seen phoebe in a few things and she's the sort of actress you feel compelled to watch. I seem to think I've seen her in more things than I have. She must be quite respected by other actors for Olivia Coleman to agree to appear (apparently phoebe asked her when they met on Broadchurch). Cleverly written; lovely, smiley OC actually being a cow. Loved her speech at the sexhibition about power . Some real lol moments but at the same time the development of the Boo story heartbreaking. Another series please.
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well we got five pages out of it!

I hated Fleabag and then I loved Fleabag even though she can be a rat bag. Glad she was given a somewhat hopeful path to a possible second series, in which she'll surely revert to type :D
  • Options
    gkabcgkabc Posts: 2,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    suesuesue wrote: »
    This was excellent, shame it didn't generate much interest on DS. The breaking the fourth wall worked so well. I've seen phoebe in a few things and she's the sort of actress you feel compelled to watch. I seem to think I've seen her in more things than I have. She must be quite respected by other actors for Olivia Coleman to agree to appear (apparently phoebe asked her when they met on Broadchurch). Cleverly written; lovely, smiley OC actually being a cow. Loved her speech at the sexhibition about power . Some real lol moments but at the same time the development of the Boo story heartbreaking. Another series please.
    Since Olivia seems to be in almost every series on television, I'm not sure if she's respectable, or just eager to be asked. It's rare to find Olivia NOT in a series anymore.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 1,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JUst discovered this absolute gem. brilliant and what a cast, best comedy since Toast of London.
  • Options
    JVSJVS Posts: 12,678
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I read loads of reviews and they revealed that I missed a lot of the metaphors and symbolism. One of the best reviews was in The New Yorker;
    http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/09/26/fleabag-an-original-bad-girl-comedy

And I was surprised see RP Bus Rodent (Jamie Demetriou) turn up in Morgana Robinson's The Agency speaking with an estuary accent.
  • Options
    WillpurryWillpurry Posts: 2,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JVS wrote: »
    I read loads of reviews and they revealed that I missed a lot of the metaphors and symbolism. One of the best reviews was in The New Yorker;
    http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/09/26/fleabag-an-original-bad-girl-comedy

And I was surprised see RP Bus Rodent (Jamie Demetriou) turn up in Morgana Robinson's The Agency speaking with an estuary accent.

And he was in "Suntrap" with a 'funny foreigner' voice. It's called acting.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Willpurry wrote: »
    And he was in "Suntrap" with a 'funny foreigner' voice. It's called acting.

5/10 for sarcasm.

The "funny foreigner" voice was definitely acting, I suspect one of the other 2 was his real accent.
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JVS wrote: »

He was a Lancastrian in Sky sitcom Rovers.
  • Options
    BellaFigaBellaFiga Posts: 1,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked it, but I don't think it was quite as brilliant as some of the reviews say.

There was a very seventies sitcom aspect of unreality about the bank loan manager story, despite the slight edginess of his being investigated for sexual harrassment. In London, it's very unlikely that you would, having gone for a bank appointment, then run into the bank guy at some expensive retreat in the country, who then spouts a bunch of supposedly profound and vulnerable claptrap at you (the cups and dishwasher come to mind).

And then he turns up at the end in her cafe to give her the loan. Given the number of customers she has, I'd say he was a bit late anyway.

The writing was almost good enough for Phoebe Wotsit to get away with this, but not quite.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just discovered this myself as BBC1 are running it from Episode 1 after midnight this week. The first episode was brilliant. Lots of genuinely laugh out loud moments so hoping the rest follows suit.
  • Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,059
    Forum Member
    Its made loads of top tv shows of 2016 lists both here and in America (where Amazon
    Prime have it).

All the episodes are still on the Iplayer if anyone fancies a good binge watch - its a great show, one of the best of this year.
  • Options
    theidtheid Posts: 6,060
    Forum Member
    I've tried but can't warm to it. I wish I could, but I can't. There's something about people being totally self-absorbed and apparently without serious money worries that I find really irritating.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Watched this when it was on bbc3 very funny and compelling,my fav comedy show of the year ,hope there's more good cast as well
  • Options
    harrypalmerharrypalmer Posts: 1,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    theid wrote: »
    I've tried but can't warm to it. I wish I could, but I can't. There's something about people being totally self-absorbed and apparently without serious money worries that I find really irritating.

I share this to some extent, though emptiness and meaninglessness is also suffered by prosperous people.

In truth the programme does show that increasingly banal and false culture of the 21st century affects almost everyone.
  • Options
    theidtheid Posts: 6,060
    Forum Member
    I share this to some extent, though emptiness and meaninglessness is also suffered by prosperous people.

In truth the programme does show that increasingly banal and false culture of the 21st century affects almost everyone.

Like Miranda, this woman seems to have a "quirky" business and it financially propped up by her family. Is that not prosperous by comparison to most young women?

I find Fleabag's horrendous self-obsession (compared to Miranda's awareness of her many failings) too irritating for words.
  • Options
    LenitiveLenitive Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's all up on iPlayer if you haven't seen it yet.

I've just binge-watched it and don't really know what to make of it. Only laughed a few times. I couldn't really relate to her posh London-centric sex-obsessed lifestyle or borderline sociopathic tendencies but she's a solid anti-hero. The first few eps, it was all a bit on-the-nose and rigorously determined to shock people who haven't come into contact with a woman before -- which was boring. Yes, women have a variety of bodily functions, too. But then the last few eps, there was a little more character depth though less comedy. Reminded me a lot of Lena Dunham in Girls, in terms of self-absorbed delusional city-dwelling millennial.

I did like her breaking the fourth wall, Hugh Dennis's monologue at the end of the retreat episode, and the idea of a café for guinea pigs. Her friend seemed sweet and the twist was great. Olivia Colman was particularly brilliant in a role I haven't really seen her play before -- a complete cow.

Overall, though, I'm not raving about it as everyone else seems to be (or as hateful as those who gave it five minutes and switched off!); I suppose it compelled me enough to stick with it to the end, however. Would be interested in seeing the stage play. They did seem a bit desperate for plot ideas for each episode, which makes me think a stage play would be just the right length.

Apparently they're making a Series 2, which I don't think is necessary.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I quite liked the series for it's originality, but I just cannot see a follow-up working. I think Phoebe Waller-Bridge has been pressured by studio bosses to cash in on Fleabag's success.

Most critic's praise Olivia Coleman, but I loved Sian Clifford's performance as Fleabag's long suffering sister.

• Options
    jewelleryqjewelleryq Posts: 222
    Forum Member
    contrarian wrote: »
    JUst discovered this absolute gem. brilliant and what a cast, best comedy since Toast of London.
    contrarian wrote: »

Toast and Fleabag - great taste and judgement! - can I add How not to live your life to that stellar list of comedies.

• Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Filming for series 2 is underway

Olivia Colman (Godmother), Sian Clifford (Claire), Bill Paterson (Dad), Brett Gelman (Martin), Jenny Rainsford (Boo) and Hugh Skinner (Harry) will all be back for the new series.

Andrew Scott joins as a new cast member.
  • Options
    chopsimchopsim Posts: 3,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant. Much underated show.
  • Options
    lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    Thought Hugh Dennis was great in it.
  • Options
    MalloCupMalloCup Posts: 587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fleabag reminded me of an ex girlfriend...and re-inforced the reason why she's an ex. Funny show though.