Ultimate Marvel Graphic Novel Collection

scooby1970scooby1970 Posts: 2,797
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've been subscribed to this bi-monthly hard-back collection since it started a couple of months ago, and I've been blown away by the quality and range of Graphic Novels that it has given so far. Looking at future books in the collection it looks like the quality will continue.

Are there more people out there collecting these (60 issues in total)? What are your thoughts on the collection so far?

:) Mark

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 264
    Forum Member
    absolutely collecting them. I'm with you, completely blown away with the variety of stories they've picked. Ultimates? Eternals? Evolve or Die era Spider-Man? Phoenix saga? Absolutely brilliant.

And the company that is releasing them, Hachette, is brilliant as well. Had a problem with my direct debit (entered my card a number short on my online form) so I phoned them and they sorted it, no problems at all.

Just out of interest, which issue are you up to? I'm up to 5, the birth of Venom.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've subscribed to it too, quite impressed with it so far, as i'm not usually daring enough / too tight with money to buy random stuff i'm unsure about, especially fairly expensive things like graphic novels
  • scooby1970scooby1970 Posts: 2,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just out of interest, which issue are you up to? I'm up to 5, the birth of Venom.

Yes, "Birth Of Venom" (and what a great read it was!). Seem to get two issues on the last wednesday or thursday of every month. Really looking forward to the next two, Thor and something else.

Forum Member
    yeah I thought that may be the case, it's a bit annoying when I see an issue in the shops and know I have to wait a couple of weeks before I get it, but at least I know it's coming. some of the places I saw the first couple of issues have stopped getting them in now.
  • bob187bob187 Posts: 1,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Issue 7 out in the shops today (Captain America: Winter Soldier).

Most newsagents will order you in a copy if you ask them - that way, you won't be behind and will still be guaranteed a copy!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bob187 wrote: »
    Issue 7 out in the shops today (Captain America: Winter Soldier).

Most newsagents will order you in a copy if you ask them - that way, you won't be behind and will still be guaranteed a copy!

I'm cancelling my order from the publishers after issue 7 and getting them fortnightly from my local comic store. Ordered it with them today as I was fed up of getting them late in the post. Also means I get all my free gifts too.

I'm really looking forward to reading the Thor story, and can't wait to read the Captain America Winter Soldier book. Spider-Man is still my favourite Marvel Super Hero though.

Forum Member
    Yeah one of the reasons I signed up to get them through Direct Debit was for the free gifts, so once they've all arrived I'm gonna cancel it and start ordering them through my local comic store.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems those of us who subscribe to the magazine direct are having a problem getting issue 6 & 7. Phoned them up again today, and they said they've had some problems but hopefully will get issue 6&7 in the post this week.

I told them its not good enough, and asked to cancel, and when I said this they said I wouldnt get issue 6 & 7!!! So, I have to wait until I get them before I cancel, thankfully I have ordered issue 8 upwards from a local comic shop.

Brilliant books but some terrible customer service!

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    The collection is wonderful but as said above, the customer services are terrible. Very rude answers when called as I have had nothing since 13 Feb.

Also, no comic shops within 20 miles so stuck with it i think.

will 6 & 7 ever arrive i ask myself.
    Forum Member
    I've only had to phone them once and they were lovely, but that's probably because they were taking money off me, lol!

I think once my free gifts arrive I'm going to cancel my direct debit and just get them from my local comic shop, I'm lucky enough that I can get them there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    I received my fist 2 issues 3+4 for 9.99 does the price increase after your first delivery or not?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are £9.99 per issue, so £19.98 every month when delivered.

Has anyone received issues 6 & 7 delivered to their doors yet? Still not got mine, getting really annoyed now!

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    At least you lot have actually received any issues!

I subscribed just after issue 3 had been released, didn't know this collection existed until I saw the Iron Man (issue 3) in WH Smith.

Got my letter to confirm subscription mid Feb, now we're end of April and I've still not received anything!

After emailing them twice (with getting no reply after my first email) I got a response saying that they are waiting for more of issue 4 and 5 to be stocked and will be dispatched when they do.

Never mentioned when that would be, or anything about all the other issues that have been released in the mean time!

I'm definitely going to be cancelling my subscription once I get the gifts, that's even IF they ever send them out.

Not happy with their service at all :(
    Forum Member
    DO you think they were caught out on how succesfull this collection has been?

When my last issues arrived I had a note saying that they had run out of free gifts and would send them out when they re-stocked, so maybe they wildly underestimated how well it would sell and now can't keep up.
  • mikehadfieldmikehadfield Posts: 2,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I subscribed after the first issue and other than an error with their payment system which meant I had to phone them to confirm details I have had no problems at all. All the gifts arrived and 2 book regularly arriving very month.

I do know that it has been one of the most popular partworks ever - they have had around 5 times the number subscribing than they were expecting/planning on. Which has meant they have had to do further print runs of books - which is why there are some delays while this happens.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just got off the phone to Hachette and spoke to the rudest person ever. Although they promised me they'd get issues 6 & 7 out but today they are still "sorting" issues and are expected to post all issue 6 & 7s on Saturday.

You think they'd sort out their subscribers first. I'll defo cancel once I get these issues, I've even given up on the free gifts! I'll pick up 7 tomorrow in WHSmith just to make sure I've got it, and somehow get hold of issue 6 too. If... and when I eventually get 6&7 I'll sell them on.

Frustrated!

Mikehadfield, are you saying you've received 6 & 7 from them???

• mikehadfieldmikehadfield Posts: 2,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. Got 6 & 7 from them about 10 days ago.
    Forum Member
    I just checked my hachette account and it says i am getting a letter saying they are out of stock.

makes subscribing a total waste of time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 269
    Forum Member
    Have they yet or will they be publishing the Onslaught story?
  • sdrogersonsdrogerson Posts: 1,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No comic stores near me can someone point me to this collection?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 269
    Forum Member
    sdrogerson wrote: »
    No comic stores near me can someone point me to this collection?

Newsagents should be able to get it in for you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here is a list of the Collection in the order it will be released (according to Wikipedia)

The Amazing Spider-Man: Coming Home - Collecting Amazing Spider-Man (Volume 2) #30-35
    Uncanny X-Men: Dark Phoenix - Collecting Uncanny X-Men #129-137
    Iron Man: Extremis - Collecting Iron Man (Volume 4) #1-6
    The Ultimates: Super-Human - Collecting The Ultimates 1-6
    The Amazing Spider-Man: Birth of Venom - Collecting The Amazing Spider-Man (Volume 1) #252, 256-259, 300 & Web Of Spider-Man #1
    Thor: Reborn - Collecting Thor (Volume 3) #1-6
    Captain America: Winter Soldier - Collecting Captain America (Volume 5) #8-9 and #11-14
    The Incredible Hulk: Silent Screams - Collecting The Incredible Hulk (Volume 1) #370-377
    Wolverine: Wolverine - Collecting Wolverine #1-4
    Astonishing X-Men: Gifted - Collecting Astonishing X-Men #1-6
    Captain Britain: A Crooked World - Collecting Marvel Superheroes #387-388, The Daredevils #1-11, and The Mighty World Of Marvel (Vol. 2) #7-13
    Avengers: Forever Pt 1 - Collecting Avengers Forever #1-6
    The Amazing Spider-Man: Kraven's Last Hunt
    Captain America: The New Deal
    Marvels
    Avengers: Disassembled
    New X-Men: E is for Extinction
    Secret War
    Avengers: Forever (Part 2)
    Daredevil:Born Again
    She Hulk: Single Green Female
    Marvel Zombies
    The Incredible Hulk: Planet Hulk (Part 1)
    Punisher: Welcome Back Frank (Part 1)
    Ultimate Spider-Man: Power and Responsibility
    Marvel Super Heroes: Secret Wars (Part 1)
    The Mighty Thor: In Search of Gods
    Astonishing X-Men: Dangerous
    Iron Man: Demon in a Bottle
    The Incredible Hulk: Planet Hulk (Part 2)
    Captain America: The Chosen
    New Avengers: Break Out
    Spider-Man: Blue
    New X-Men: Imperial
    House of M
    Wolverine: Origin
    Fantastic Four: Unthinkable
    Thor: The Last Viking
    Civil War
    Marvel Super Heroes: Secret Wars (Part 2)
    Fantastic Four: Authoritative Action
    Fallen Son: Death of Captain America
    Punisher: Welcome Back Frank (Part 2)
    The Ultimates: Homeland Security
    Wolverine: Weapon X
    Daredevil: Guardian Devil
    The Amazing Spider-Man: Revelations
    Eternals
    Black Panther: Who Is The Black Panther
    World War Hulk
    Fantastic Four: The End
    Captain Britain and MI13: Vampire State
    Wolverine: Old Man Logan
    Secret Invasion
    Doctor Strange: The Oath
    Thunderbolts: Faith in Monsters
    Ghost Rider: Road to Damnation
    Son Of M
    Siege

• sdrogersonsdrogerson Posts: 1,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have signed up online
    Forum Member
    sdrogerson wrote: »
    Have signed up online

good luck. there having issues!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd be interested to see if its cheaper to buy each separately via amazon etc rather than go with this 'magazine' type subscription