Animal Park Summer special update on Anne the elephant x circus performer.

cal4751cal4751 Posts: 996
Forum Member
✭✭
Just caught up with episode 2. The summer series started yesterday morning.

I was interested to see how Anne the elephant is getting on, at Longleat Safari Park. She is now trusting her keepers despite all her terrible treatment from her circus days. Me being an old softie, I thought of all her years of abuse she had endured.

Watching it though I feel she would be happier with another Elephant.

A petition last year to get her a companion hit 10,000.

http://www.wiltshiretimes.co.uk/news/14659338.Petition_for_Anne_the_elephant_to_have_a_companion_hits_10_000/

Those that have not followed her journey, just Google Anne the Elephant. But beware distressing to read.

Comments

• cal4751cal4751 Posts: 996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone following this programme? It would be nice for some feedback.
  • andymcvandymcv Posts: 406
    Forum Member
    I've enjoyed it and sad it's not on for longer than a week.

New presenter Jean thinks she is on Blue Peter. Also it sad that they never mentioned
    Bob Trollope had died as he appeared in yesterdays coverage.

All the keepers are mostly still there. Darren and Mark.
  • bloodynorabloodynora Posts: 843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cal4751 wrote: »
    Anyone following this programme? It would be nice for some feedback.
    Like you I was sad that they didn't mention Bob Trollope, it was nice to see that some keepers are still there, but it would appear that quite a few have left, I believe from another forum that Bob's assistant Brian was sacked not long after Bob died.
  • gasheadgashead Posts: 13,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's all a scam, she's not even there ! :o

I'm kidding, of course, but this elephant sure is elusive. I've got a season ticket for Longleat and have been about six times this year so far and haven't seen her once ! :D I agree that unless there's a very good reason why it's not possible, surely a companion is a good idea. If my experience is anything to go by, she must spend an awful lot of time in her shed.
  • FrostyJimFrostyJim Posts: 3,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gashead wrote: »
    It's all a scam, she's not even there ! :o

I'm kidding, of course, but this elephant sure is elusive. I've got a season ticket for Longleat and have been about six times this year so far and haven't seen her once ! :D I agree that unless there's a very good reason why it's not possible, surely a companion is a good idea. If my experience is anything to go by, she must spend an awful lot of time in her shed.

I went in June for the first and only time and she was out and about, bless her. I wouldn't be surprised if she was indoor most of the time. Doesn't she have arthritis or really bad joints or something? I saw the other day they said they had to clean her feet a lot also. Don't know if adding another elephant at her age is a great idea, must have good and bad sides to it. Anything to make the rest of her life as pleasant as possible cant be argued with though.
  • La RhumbaLa Rhumba Posts: 11,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm just belatedly catching up with these 50th anniversary shows on iPlayer.

Lovely to be back at Animal Park. I hope they do make another full series. I am saddened to read that Bob Trollope died in 2014, aged only 49. :(

I remember Bev, who is now head of her section. There are alot of new staff there from the last time the show was on.

Ann was kept away from people as it took a year for her to even trust her keepers, so distressed was she by the disgusting abuse she suffered for decades. As the young keeper said, she was just "very sad" all the time. Also her physical condition was not good, she is elderly, and had to be treated very gently.

I agree about the new presenter, awful! But great to have Kate and Ben back in the Safari Park, and lovely to see those amazing black and white clips from the early days.
  • bloodynorabloodynora Posts: 843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I read somwhere that Bob Trollope's colleague Brian Kent ( who was shown on the anniversary special) was sacked shortly after Bob died, I don't know whether there is any truth in it though. Quite a few of the keepers seem to have left since they last filmed there.
  • La RhumbaLa Rhumba Posts: 11,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bloodynora wrote: »
    I read somwhere that Bob Trollope's colleague Brian Kent ( who was shown on the anniversary special) was sacked shortly after Bob died, I don't know whether there is any truth in it though. Quite a few of the keepers seem to have left since they last filmed there.

Just watched the final episode of the Summer specials and the Lions were featured with all new keepers. It was so sad not to see Bob Trollope, and I feel Kate or Ben should've mentioned his passing since he was such a big part of the earlier years, and pay tribute to him. :( Also, Brian was not there either, and he was always by Bob's side. If he was sacked, that's a great shame. All those years of service being attached to the animals.

I really hope we get a new series. There are so many changes and new animals, like the Red Pandas, there are new stories to tell. Including a new resident in the house. But please no Scottish girl.