The first Black Doctor Who?

1171819202123»

Comments

• davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    The bible says nothing of skin colour, it is human ignorance that perpetuated the imagery you are talking about.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    Chiwetel Ejiofor would make a great Doctor. He has a huge range, great presence and a certain intelligence and class to him. Plus he has a great name :P.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rangham wrote: »
    Chiwetel Ejiofor would make a great Doctor. He has a huge range, great presence and a certain intelligence and class to him. Plus he has a great name :P.

Yep, he's my best choice too. He even said he would take the role if offered! :D (or something along those lines. :) )
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When it comes time for Matt Smith to hang up the Tardis keys, Daniel Kaluuya would make a superb Doctor. He has a huge range, but also is incredibly charismatic, and idiosyncratic, on screen. I've seen him in many things, but most genre fans will remember him from "The Fades", "Planet of the Dead", "Skins" - and his youth is no bar since Matt's star turn. If I was a writer producer I'd snap him up in a second, regardless of his skin colour. which would be irrelevant in this context.

Nah. Great actor but there's not gravitas there.
  • Philip_LambPhilip_Lamb Posts: 287
    Forum Member

It is clearly racist to suggest an shapeshifting alien can only be white.
    The Doctor can be any skin pigmentation, and clearly any sexual appearance (but that's another argument!).
    He doesn`t shapeshift, he regenerates. There`s a lot more to it that he tans or his skin would darken. There`s melanin and other stuff I could only guess at.
    Same with making the doctor female. That penis doesn`t just drop off.
    Really angers me this crap, the shows done ok for 50 years.
    Ah to hell with it I`ll join in. I want to see a female, Indian, midget, amputee lesbian doctor and anyone who says no is a bigot
  • ukgnomeukgnome Posts: 541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    haven't read the whole of this pointless thread so I don't know if someone has already stated this but...

when Doctor 2 was forced to regenerate he was given the option of a black "host body??"
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rangham wrote: »

True.

There's a few good options in respect of the title of this thread, namely Colin Salmon, David Harewood & Adrian Lester.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 247
    Forum Member
    He doesn`t shapeshift, he regenerates. There`s a lot more to it that he tans or his skin would darken. There`s melanin and other stuff I could only guess at.
    Same with making the doctor female. That penis doesn`t just drop off.
    Really angers me this crap, the shows done ok for 50 years.
    Ah to hell with it I`ll join in. I want to see a female, Indian, midget, amputee lesbian doctor and anyone who says no is a bigot

I used shapeshifting to identify him with the mythological tradition he is part of. The show has not done well for 50 years, there was a time it became irrelevant and was cancelled, and the it had to be 'regenerated' for a whole new generation. Why would any body part drop off? Science fiction and fantasy (and a good imagination) is fu of solutions to such problems. Actually I just thought of one - the Doctor becomes female, his penis drops off, grows a brain and mouth, and becomes his companion!!!!!! Maybe not - I need to go and have a lie down!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure there'll be a black Doctor one day, but I'd also predict it will be some mostly unknown jobbing actor who just nails the audition. The Doctor isn't just gravitas, but charisma squared, slightly madder than a sack full of squirrels and with more energy than a toddler on a sugar rush.

It's a part so odd, that an actors past resume isn't that much help in picturing them in the role.

Oh, and there's also the fact that every established black British actor seems to be working in the US these days. Though perhaps that now works in their favour.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually I just thought of one - the Doctor becomes female, his penis drops off, grows a brain and mouth, and becomes his companion!!!!!!

I think you've just invented a new Viz strip.
  • ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    Wow, this thread has become active again.

Well I must state the obvious, whether people like the idea that the Doctor could change skin colour or not, the programme has now established Time Lords can change ethnicity,certainly Melody Pond can. :)

Not to mention in The War Games the Doctor is offered a possible black incarnation.
  • tomwozheretomwozhere Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Idris Elba would make a good doctor
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    True.

There's a few good options in respect of the title of this thread, namely Colin Salmon, David Harewood & Adrian Lester.

All good options.