Options

Luther, BBC1

Comments

• Options
    Mood IndigoMood Indigo Posts: 4,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    malspie wrote: »
    OMG he is GORGEOUS! Not bothered about the acting or the script but will quite happily keep watching just to ogle one of the sexiest men I've seen for a long time!

Seriously, an hour's worth of television and that's all you have to say about the programme.

OMG I can't believe...................

.......You've read my mind.:D Dialogue ? Action ? Plot development ? mere details. Who cares when you've got the very gorgeous Mr Elba to gaze at. :o:p:

Drooling aside, whilst I can see how some found the pace a little pedestrian personally I enjoyed it and think the series will probably gain in momentum as the story develops. Also the cast is full of really class actors I like and rate, so I hope people stick with it. I certainly will be tuning in next week.....for the drama.....honest.:p
  • Options
    mb@2daymb@2day Posts: 10,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They packed a lot of weirdness into 1 hour, I'll give 'em that. :eek:

Something different when the cop is madder than the psychotic killer . :D Not at all what I was expecting.

Worst bits included the cliched instant cops turning up within 2 minutes (only in tv dramas ) and then to arrest Luther ? That was a few seconds after itty bitty Paul McGann tried to punch Luther when really he would have got his ass kicked seriously .

Sadly not the best show involving someone called Idris , that still belongs to Ivor The Engine.:p

Coming back to this again may be difficult.:yawn::o
  • Options
    uncletupelouncletupelo Posts: 282
    Forum Member
    nate1970 wrote: »
    I kept waiting for Luther to hand in his badge... or maybe announce he was only 3 days from retirement, and that this is his last case.

I'm impressed they didn't have him drinking Scotch straight from the bottle, maybe they're saving that for later in the series.

So true!. I'm afraid after watching The Wire, this kind of cop show doesn't cut it anymore. Please try talking up to the audience rather than down. Yet again I'm disappointed by a new UK show. The first 2 minutes blew it for me when the police 'searched' the house and could not find the girl only to be told she was behind the display cabinet in the living room?? What did their search entail...looking to see if she had fell behind the couch next to some loose change.
  • Options
    doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    Once again it's shown that we can't do drama anymore, the BBC is obsessed with box-ticking and base-covering and ITV with soap actors, star vehicles and ratings chasing.

Quite honestly I believe I could write a better drama than this, although I admit I turned it off half-way through and watched Solaris.

Saw Breaking Bad Episode 7 of series 3 the other day and it was 10 times better than this, it was literally awesome.
  • Options
    SeventeenSeventeen Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    Nice opening titles. I quite like it overall, not amazing but entertaining.

The main thing that bugged me was the camerawork. Instead of making the characters fill the screen they seemed to have a whole lot of background with the character almost off the camera (example: http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/7695/screenshot20100504at234.png)
  • Options
    ImperialImperial Posts: 344
    Forum Member
    So true!. I'm afraid after watching The Wire, this kind of cop show doesn't cut it anymore. Please try talking up to the audience rather than down. Yet again I'm disappointed by a new UK show. The first 2 minutes blew it for me when the police 'searched' the house and could not find the girl only to be told she was behind the display cabinet in the living room?? What did their search entail...looking to see if she had fell behind the couch next to some loose change.

The girl was in a trunk behind a false wall.
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seventeen wrote: »
    The main thing that bugged me was the camerawork. Instead of making the characters fill the screen they seemed to have a whole lot of background with the character almost off the camera (example: http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/7695/screenshot20100504at234.png)

Thats visual language indicting a sense of dislocation and obliquity (or some such media studies tosh)
  • Options
    pierre_gustavepierre_gustave Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This ain't The Wire.
    Just your usual UK cliche-ridden police drama

Yawn :yawn:
  • Options
    EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually, I have a serious question.

What the hell is Steven Mackintosh doing playing a minor role with only about four lines in the whole thing, all of them kowtowing to Idris Elba? Surprising for an actor of his calibre. Though it's early days, so I presume he'll come more to the fore and play a bigger part in what's to come.
  • Options
    Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    doom&gloom wrote: »
    Once again it's shown that we can't do drama anymore, the BBC is obsessed with box-ticking and base-covering and ITV with soap actors, star vehicles and ratings chasing.

It's quite sad.
  • Options
    gamersxchangegamersxchange Posts: 279
    Forum Member
    What annoyed me was the cars! Luther's car was a clapped out volvo , and his partners a w reg scorpio!

cliched cars as well........
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    nate1970 wrote: »
    I kept waiting for Luther to hand in his badge... or maybe announce he was only 3 days from retirement, and that this is his last case.

I'm impressed they didn't have him drinking Scotch straight from the bottle, maybe they're saving that for later in the series.
    Well he did sit in a bar all night drinking what did look like scotch and then miraculously recovered and went of to the suspects house presumably stinking of booze but with no red eye, dog breath or slurred speech.

Hey, maybe it was apple juice :rolleyes:
  • Options
    iiHEARTy0uiiHEARTy0u Posts: 13,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was confused by the whole episode.

Was that couple killed? What was the redheads agenda??

I was excited for this but it requires too much thinking for my liking.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved it. Ultimately of course it's utterly ridiculous but there's some tremendous acting on show, especially from Idris and Indira.
    I'm glad I decided not to tune in.

It's a sad situation if you can't form your own opinion.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Well he did sit in a bar all night drinking what did look like scotch and then miraculously recovered and went of to the suspects house presumably stinking of booze but with no red eye, dog breath or slurred speech.

Hey, maybe it was apple juice :rolleyes:

I'm guessing you've never drunk yourself sober, believe me some of us have had some serious lock-ins and done it more than once.

In summary.
    Luther, all good fun basically.
    OK sizable stretches of credibility all over the shop, which kept nagging at me.
    I'll stick with it anyway because the acting is very good, well bits are very good.
    Yet again the trailers give away too much of what's coming next week, that there's a male criminal to come, to butt heads
    with Luther.

Hopefully they don't go too mad on the action next week and flesh out the relationships/backstory a bit more.

OK one credibility stretcher, I couldn't resist.
    After going into the furnace, what's left goes into a crusher/cremulator(sp), that crushes the remaining bone fragments into a fine(ish) powder.
    There are also humans at the Crematoria, they'd notice the bits of gun as they're plainly not bits of metal hip or similar.
    Apart from the bits possibly knackering the cemulator(sp).
  • Options
    CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JarkdeLuxe wrote: »
    Loved it. Ultimately of course it's utterly ridiculous but there's some tremendous acting on show, especially from Idris and Indira.

I agree. I will be watching next week, never seen Idris before.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iiHEARTy0u wrote: »
    I was confused by the whole episode.

Was that couple killed? What was the redheads agenda??

I was excited for this but it requires too much thinking for my liking.
    :confused:

Its a series so you have to continue watching in order to find the answers... anyway I will certainly watch it again. I don't know if its because of Idris (phwoar..), but I really enjoyed it.
  • Options
    Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite a good story but I thought it was rather pretentious really and more than a little cliched.

Idris Elba is, of course, quite quite gorgeous.

Ruth Wilson made my flesh crawl which was, after all, the point.

The gun being in the dog was, at least, novel :cool:

I'll probably watch the next episode but won't be gutted if I miss it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really enjoyed the first show, looking forward to next week.
  • Options
    nate1970nate1970 Posts: 1,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This reminded me very much of Branagh's Wallander (not the far better Swedish version - just had to get that dig in... ;)), in that they're both prime examples of these British cop shows that have developed their own rigid language and look'n'feel, which must be adhered to at all costs. I don't know if 'cliché' is the right word, it's gone further than that, almost as if the programmes are put together using only prescribed story, dialogue and visual style; it is actively and literally formulaic.

Obviously people like this kind of arrangement (posters in this thread, and IIRC the viewing figures for Wallander were decent), but I'm sat there thinking "right, Cop rubbing his head in his hands in obvious mental distress, that's a D6... Cop's boss sticking up for Cop to a higher-up, that's a B7... Cop is having marital difficulties, that's an A3", and it's hard to find any humanity to hang on to, I may as well be looking at a well-written piece of computer code.
  • Options
    suesuesuesuesuesue Posts: 16,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't know if anyone's watching The Wright Stuff but they've been singing the praises of Luther. Reckon I'll give it another go, may get more into it. Agree with comments about Saskia Reeves though, what was she about? Half expected an "oi oi saveloy! up the apples and bananas" :D
  • Options
    jenailsajenailsa Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So a dog is shot so badly that a gun can be put inside its stomach. Then the dog is cremated and its loving owner pours the ashes into an urn and doesn't notice a sizeable chunk of gun clunking into the container. Ash then kept on the mantlepiece!!! hmmmm
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She knew that was in there, it was her trophy
  • Options
    jenailsajenailsa Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mike65 wrote: »
    She knew that was in there, it was her trophy

oh ok. right thanks. I missed that. ooops
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    Espresso wrote: »
    Actually, I have a serious question.

What the hell is Steven Mackintosh doing playing a minor role with only about four lines in the whole thing, all of them kowtowing to Idris Elba?
    Surprising for an actor of his calibre. Though it's early days, so I presume he'll come more to the fore and play a bigger part in what's to come.

Absolutely agree - am so disappointed. Mackintosh is a great actor who doesn't seem to have pushed on much in the last couple of years