Options

extant

Comments

• Options
    Yo Omars CominYo Omars Comin Posts: 1,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Couldn't be bothered with this week's episode. Anything worthwhile happen?
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just watched it.

It was... better. Not great, but better.

I wish they'd increase the drip-feed of information.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched the most recent episode. Bored me stupid... I'm out.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Between watching last weeks, and this week's arriving in my To Watch folder, I've completely lost interest, even though last week they managed to find a way to see the 'thing' that was on the space station with her.

I just don't have any faith in shows like this not to draw the conspiracy out for aaaaageeeeeees.
  • Options
    rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I nearly didn't watch this because of some of the reviews. I'm glad I did, and I've realised that some people are really hard to please. I'll never know how people watch horrible cheap rubbish like Doctor Who when shows like this have all the production values of a movie

There's a thin line between dragging things out too long and giving everything away too quickly. It's only been 6 episodes!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I nearly didn't watch this because of some of the reviews. I'm glad I did, and I've realised that some people are really hard to please. I'll never know how people watch horrible cheap rubbish like Doctor Who when shows like this have all the production values of a movie

I will agree that the production values are very high but you expect movie level standards in most American shows these days. But not matter how big the budget or fancy the SFX are it doesn't compensate for a lack of a decent story.
  • Options
    rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    I will agree that the production values are very high but you expect movie level standards in most American shows these days. But not matter how big the budget or fancy the SFX are it doesn't compensate for a lack of a decent story.

I agree with that, but it's hardly a terrible story is it? It might but be the most original story, but not much is these days. It's moving along nicely for me

I just want to know what all these people who are saying its boring and they've given up on it usually watch.
  • Options
    Linda_DeanLinda_Dean Posts: 748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been watching this on Amazon, but trying to stay a few episodes behind. The first couple of episodes started off promising, but it all seems to be turning a bit formulaic and clichéd. Formulaic can work, if you got a cast with some pizazz, and/or chemistry, and/or great characterization, but the cast/script hasn't got that. I don't even believe the main couple are a couple. With nothing original and by-the-numbers story telling/sci-fi ideas, I'm starting to waver a bit. The only stand out aspect is the future tech.

I will stick with it for a bit, as I am still not sure where it's going, and that's keeping me interested. But if every episode turns out to be 'pregnant woman in peril from big bad corporations who knocked her up with alien spawn', I think I might lose interest.
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Double episodes this week and next.

Seemed to help a bit as it felt things moved along a bit for me.

I'm torn about the pace of it to be honest. First couple of episodes I was fine with even enjoyed the pacing, a lot being set up and enough to hold my interest. Three through Six I felt you could have edited out 90% of and lost nothing. Seven & Eight much better

Reminds me a bit of Torchwood Miracle Day
  • Options
    petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just want to know what all these people who are saying its boring and they've given up on it usually watch.

Well, as someone who has stopped watching this show, I can say there is no "usually" to what I watch. While this show is dull, characterless and slow it's still better than most of the dross that passes for science fiction these days. (And as for "fantasy" - that whole genre doesn't even make it to the starting line).

As it is, a TV is now something that gets switched on to watch a specific programme, then turned off again and some other activity undertaken. It's been a good many years since there has reliably been a full evening's entertainment on the box - even 1 night a week. Hence other things take it's place.

You can't say a programme is "good" just because you've watched it all the way though. To count as "good" you've got to want to watch it again, at a later date.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just seen that there are 2 two episodes to download and realised that I can't be bothered.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've just seen that there are 2 two episodes to download and realised that I can't be bothered.

I know how you feel, I've downloaded them but am in no hurry to see them.

It will probably be an extra 45 mins of nothing happening.
  • Options
    MassiveDynamicsMassiveDynamics Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know how you feel, I've downloaded them but am in no hurry to see them.

It will probably be an extra 45 mins of nothing happening.

Somebody must have given them the hurry up because there was some action especially in episode 8. Getting more of an earlier X Files vibe to it now.
  • Options
    jonparadisejonparadise Posts: 6,057
    Forum Member
    I'm really enjoying it.

The shows seems to have morphed a couple of times. At the beginning it felt more like a slower paced thriller, then it shifted and I thought it was going to be an 'on the run' drama, and now it's something quite different again.

I'll admit I thought at the start we'd be seeing Holly pregnant for the season, then giving birth at the end, so I'm very glad it's nothing like that.

I'm intrigued as to where they're taking the Ethan story. I can't decide if he's creepy or not, but I guess that's the idea.
  • Options
    geosgeos Posts: 1,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite surprised how its turned out, thoroughly enjoying it. Im glad its been a bit of a slow burner, made a nice change from the constant action of other sc-fi/cult shows.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Those were much better episodes, I think that if the first six episodes had been consolidated into one 1hr 20min episode, and then this one, it would have been much better.

I know these TV shows are set in their own universe, but surely they have 'Terminator' type films in their universes? :)

Don't they know that you don't tell a robot that is becoming sentient 'No' and treat them like a robot just expecting them to follow your orders?

When a robot asks 'What is my purpose (or function in this case)?' you don't tell it to find its own purpose, just incase the purpose it does find is 'Wipe humanity off the face of the earth'. :)

Also you don't show its fellow lesser robots (such as the speaker robot) disinterest as it is obviously going to see that as humans treating robots (which it identifies with) as a less species.

I'm wondering if the two things, aliens and robot AI are linked together.
  • Options
    ArthurJBearArthurJBear Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    I gave up after 4 episodes, just couldn't get into it. Plus with Manhattan, The Knick and Legends starting I needed to cut down as I'm also finishing off Tyrant, Taxi: Brooklyn and Under the Dome (The latter of which may soon go the way of Extant)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm wondering if the two things, aliens and robot AI are linked together.

I must admit I see one battling the other, and I'm not sure which side is going to be the white hats.

I'm getting that the secret mining was for something that extends natural life and had hints that the entity was drawn to the same.

We've also seen Yasumoto's interest in the potential of artificial life extension and know he's in a race to survive

I wouldn't put it past the bounds of the scriptwriter's plagiarism to have the entity being a future living immortal time travelling to try and prevent the rise of the machines
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing of note.

The two episodes a week seems to be intended to clear the first two weeks of September, presumably for some sports stuff. After that it drops back to one episode a week and runs slam into all the new fall shows. Not going to do much for the viewing figures
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's all dragging on a bit now. And the robot stuff is so boring.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Big-Arn wrote: »
    It's all dragging on a bit now. And the robot stuff is so boring.

I prefer the robot stuff to the alien stuff, but that's mainly because I am interested in AI.

They are dragging it out a bit too much though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I prefer the robot stuff to the alien stuff, but that's mainly because I am interested in AI.

They are dragging it out a bit too much though.

I've seen every argument for and against AI that there is to be made, on numerous shows and movies. This isn't adding anything, it's just filler.
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Having two episodes to watch has put me off watching even one.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find it hilarious even in the show, her husband is like "are you seriously trying to take on these incredibly rich, incredibly powerful clandestine organisations that kidnap, kill and force people into hiding for years who can apparently extract and imprison the alien baby you had in you? You've got the evidence, take it public, go international, get people on your side!" and Molly is just like "it's my alien baby, I want to see it first!"

Clearly they underestimated her to a degree but she was dumb enough to think her dead boyfriend was knocking on a door on a space station, dumb enough to try run when they have goddamn satellites that map the globe and can launch weapons from orbit, dumb enough to endanger her family, dumb enough to hide the truth from her family initially... for a lead female protagonist who was expected to carry out a 13 month long mission on a complex and futuristic space station, she is remarkably idiotic. Seriously, she tried to take on a complex of armed goons by thinking she could sweet talk a security guard, then tried to invade a high security compound protecting an alien with her, a guy who has been in hiding and living in a trailer and only armed and skilled turncoat who might have just been conning her into a set up...

What a dunce. They should have spent more on re-writes and less on special effects. Also, the Odin as an infiltrator and the tech rebellion players shagging their way into accessing the main players to influence them... it's like these folks watch AI, Alien 3, I Am Robot and Rosemary's Baby over a weekend and thought combining them all was a bloody revelation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    Having two episodes to watch has put me off watching even one.

Eventually got around to watch the 2 parter yesterday as there was nothing better to do on a wet Bank Holiday Monday but turned off after 20 minutes in boredom.