IRN News finishes

12346»

Comments

• TeleviixonMaltaTeleviixonMalta Posts: 263
    Forum Member
    RadioPro wrote: »
    Probably because IRN bulletins now start with the words "The Latest from the Sky News Centre"

... you really don't need to say that twice within 20 seconds !

Oh yeah I know, It was just a side point, that during ITN's IRN time, it became easy for stations to act like it was their own news, as there was no mention in most stations intro as to where it came from, and the reader stopped saying "Independent Radio News". Andover Sound never pretended.

Also on Andover the other door, they cut into the news too early and I heard "On the IRN network this is Sky News Radio" before the bulletin started. Do they still refer to themselves as IRN?

On Kiss 100 this morning, the "news" used to end "Thats the news this is Kiss 100" when Sahhar Al Makedy (if thats how its spelt) read it from ITN, this morning a more boring sounding man read it, ending "That's the news form the Sky News Centre, you're on Kiss"
  • robrymondukrobrymonduk Posts: 909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just found it odd Kelly changed names overnight during the transition from IRN to Sky, thats all! I perhaps thought she'd worked under a false name at IRN and Sky had rules on that lol
  • the wellserthe wellser Posts: 4,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just found it odd Kelly changed names overnight during the transition from IRN to Sky, thats all! I perhaps thought she'd worked under a false name at IRN and Sky had rules on that lol
    I think you mean at ITN.

She may have got married some months ago but used this as on opportunity to change her on air name.
  • Test ToneTest Tone Posts: 354
    Forum Member
    Oh yeah I know, It was just a side point, that during ITN's IRN time, it became easy for stations to act like it was their own news, as there was no mention in most stations intro as to where it came from, and the reader stopped saying "Independent Radio News".

I have to admit, I'm getting really fed up with all this promotion for 'Sky' in the actual bulletins. Apart from the incue talking about the bulletin coming from the "Sky News Centre", (like we care where the reader's based?:rolleyes:), why do we have constant references to the organisation?

Before a clip, every script seems to refer to: "Sky's [insert role ie: Business] correspondent, reports..." Or some dullard football manager tells "Sky Sports News" about the game last night. Who cares what the name of the news organisation is? The listener certainly doesn't. There were never shameless plugs for 'ITN' when they supplied the service to IRN subscribing stations.

It seems Rupert Murdoch thinks commerical radio news in the UK is just a cheap 2-minute advert for his massive organisation every hour. And don't even get me started on the standard of their script writing! No wonder most larger newsrooms rewrite everything that comes down.
  • the wellserthe wellser Posts: 4,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Test Tone wrote: »

It seems Rupert Murdoch thinks commerical radio news in the UK is just a cheap 2-minute advert for his massive organisation every hour. And don't even get me started on the standard of their script writing! No wonder most larger newsrooms rewrite everything that comes down.

I doubt he's that aware of it to be honest.

I am surprised all these references to Sky are allowed though!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 329
    Forum Member
    I have to admit, I'm getting really fed up with all this promotion for 'Sky' in the actual bulletins. Apart from the incue talking about the bulletin coming from the "Sky News Centre", (like we care where the reader's based?:rolleyes:), why do we have constant references to the organisation?

Before a clip, every script seems to refer to: "Sky's [insert role ie: Business] correspondent, reports..." Or some dullard football manager tells "Sky Sports News" about the game last night. Who cares what the name of the news organisation is? The listener certainly doesn't. There were never shameless plugs for 'ITN' when they supplied the service to IRN subscribing stations.

Rule is Sky News' XXXX correspondent is mentioned in the individual cues sent to stations, and stations using these to compile their own locally read bulletins must mention that Sky News correspondent tag, at least once in their bulletin. For example if you run two or more correspondent audio clips, then mentioning Sky News correspondent once is fine.

Within a news bulletin read from Sky, there there should be NO Sky News correspondent mentions in the bulletins - just the Sky branding read at the top of the bulletin. If this is happening, then the readers aren't clear of the 'rule'.

Sky Sports News is different - in that Sky Sports News must be name checked in Sky read bulletin or locally read bulletin if such audio is used as Sky News Radio 'buys in' the right to use the audio from within their own organisation.

All these examples have been the case, even before the ITN supply contract.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We re-write script and we're a tiny newsroom, it can be really poor at times and they don't seem to do 'Pron:' as often either.
  • Harris TweedHarris Tweed Posts: 1,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VR4 wrote: »
    Rule is Sky News' XXXX correspondent is mentioned in the individual cues sent to stations, and stations using these to compile their own locally read bulletins must mention that Sky News correspondent tag, at least once in their bulletin. For example if you run two or more correspondent audio clips, then mentioning Sky News correspondent once is fine.

Within a news bulletin read from Sky, there there should be NO Sky News correspondent mentions in the bulletins - just the Sky branding read at the top of the bulletin. If this is happening, then the readers aren't clear of the 'rule'.

Sky Sports News is different - in that Sky Sports News must be name checked in Sky read bulletin or locally read bulletin if such audio is used as Sky News Radio 'buys in' the right to use the audio from within their own organisation.

All these examples have been the case, even before the ITN supply contract.

One per bulletin certainly used to be part of the (Radio Authority) programme code. It said something like "a single, non-promotional credit" for a news supplier.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,395
    Forum Member
    Broadcastnow have done a little piece on the successful Sky News Radio. They only started out a decade ago and now the the supply of commercial radio news is all theirs.

More on the story here http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/radio/in-depth/2009/02/behind_the_scenes_at_sky_news_radio.html.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 329
    Forum Member
    As mentioned earlier in this thread about a lack of / inconsistant amounds of pronouciations in cues at IRN / Sky now.

Take for example 'Paul-Henri Mathieu' - the tennis player. Yesterday they sent a PRON: down, today nothing. And his surname isn't as obvious, if I remember rightly.

It's irritating beacause the sports team, who deal in the same names day-in and day-out know how it's said, and would problerbly say "of couse it's pronounced X way" - they expect everyone else, who doesn't follow sport as closely, to know as well.

A little reminder 'till we get use to the name would help! Otherwise the we sound stupid, the listener thinks we're stupid, and the station sounds unprofessional.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Indeed, agree with the above! Does anyone know if Bill Bingham is still on Sky, not heard him yet.
  • Miss SixtyMiss Sixty Posts: 1,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bill normally does weekend overnights on Sky News Radio.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Miss Sixty wrote: »
    Bill normally does weekend overnights on Sky News Radio.

Dave Mcmullen seems to have been doing Sunday when I used to hear Bill.
  • TeleviixonMaltaTeleviixonMalta Posts: 263
    Forum Member

Actually, after hearing the reference AGAIN of "in the Sky News Centre for Kiss100" its slightly irritating. It was just too the other way with ITN, there were NO mentions that it was IRN at all then.
  • AllBranAllBran Posts: 185
    Forum Member
    Actually, after hearing the reference AGAIN of "in the Sky News Centre for Kiss100" its slightly irritating. It was just too the other way with ITN, there were NO mentions that it was IRN at all then.

Not true. Lisa's never hidden the fact she was based at ITN. Bam Bam used to refer to it most days.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Michael40 wrote: »
    ITN produced IRN had the correct death toll for Tuesday's awful events in Pakistan. An hour later Sky produced IRN had it wrong. You pay peanuts you get monkeys, I suppose.

Pity IRN's decided to switch to an inferior news supplier.

I don't think you can accuse IRN for switching to any inferior news supplier. It was probably the most intelligent move for the MD to conduct.
  • chunkcchunkc Posts: 975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PMedia wrote: »
    I don't think you can accuse IRN for switching to any inferior news supplier.

Sky news or ITN
    :rolleyes:
    think inferior fits the bill nicely.
    PMedia wrote: »
    It was probably the most intelligent move for the MD to conduct.

Or the cheapest.
    Sky has product to plug.
    Which it does very effectively during bulletins.
    May I suggest this might help 'subsidise' the service.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Hence why it was the wisest move to make and a very clever one for the MD to make
  • James30James30 Posts: 5,196
    Forum Member
    Indeed, agree with the above! Does anyone know if Bill Bingham is still on Sky, not heard him yet.

He was on overnights a few weeks ago, he's freelance though and does shows for Smooth Radio so maybe he's been extra busy with all that.