Options

GCSE science for primary school teaching?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,680
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've just found out that despite professional qualifications (law), a degree, an HNC, 4 A levels and 9 GCSEs I have to acquire a GCSE in one of the sciences in order to do primary school teaching (the only GCSE I flunked was Chemistry with a D). Aaarrrgggh...:eek:..

I thought they would let me do some sort of equivalency test but no such luck. Has anyone studied a science at GCSE as a mature student and by what method?

thanks

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bump

anyone?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It depends if you were born after 1979. If you were born before then, the law states you do not need it for teaching, but if born after you do. Well thats what I was told whilst I was going through my education at school and when applying for education courses at University.

I am in the first Year of my degree, but I failed GCSE science. I retook it in year 12 and came out with a D again, so in year 13 I realised it was my last chance and retook it again. Gave lunchtimes up evenings up with my mates to make sure I got it, whilst also studying for four a levels and came out with a C. It was a chore at the time, but it was well worth the hassle. Best thing is to find a 20 week one night a week course at your local college. Find a mate that wants something to do and/or could do with the qualification themselves and take them along. It will cost you, over £100 I think, but its not too much effort if you have a degree and have a basic knowledge of science.

Good luck...
  • Options
    ThanhukThanhuk Posts: 8,433
    Forum Member
    It depends if you were born after 1979. If you were born before then, the law states you do not need it for teaching, but if born after you do.

This is correct, you only need the GCSE if you were born after 1979. If you were, you will have to sit it at a local college as many universitys require it as standard.

T.
  • Options
    UltraVioletUltraViolet Posts: 7,673
    Forum Member
    Did you not do all three of the Sciences at GCSE? what did you get for Biology and Physics? double science type.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh thank god im good at science
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It depends if you were born after 1979. If you were born before then, the law states you do not need it for teaching, but if born after you do. Well thats what I was told whilst I was going through my education at school and when applying for education courses at University.

I am in the first Year of my degree, but I failed GCSE science. I retook it in year 12 and came out with a D again, so in year 13 I realised it was my last chance and retook it again. Gave lunchtimes up evenings up with my mates to make sure I got it, whilst also studying for four a levels and came out with a C. It was a chore at the time, but it was well worth the hassle. Best thing is to find a 20 week one night a week course at your local college. Find a mate that wants something to do and/or could do with the qualification themselves and take them along. It will cost you, over £100 I think, but its not too much effort if you have a degree and have a basic knowledge of science.

Good luck...

I was born before 1979 so I will certainly check that out. Perhaps it was just the particular PGCE course I was interested in. The advisor at the university wasn't the most helpful of people so I'll do a bit more digging.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanhuk wrote: »
    This is correct, you only need the GCSE if you were born after 1979. If you were, you will have to sit it at a local college as many universitys require it as standard.

T.

thanks also
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did you not do all three of the Sciences at GCSE? what did you get for Biology and Physics? double science type.

Unfortunately not, we only had to do one science at my school which I thought was great at the time seeing as I was useless at it. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    njguy wrote: »
    oh thank god im good at science

jammy beggar :D
  • Options
    SteUKSteUK Posts: 5,834
    Forum Member
    If they did GCSE physics they wouldn't have also done double science as you would then be doing part of the same course twice. Double award gives you two GCSEs for studying Biol, Chem and Phys.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jammy beggar :D

haha if it was maths or english id die but science im in the top set haha thats covered
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You should be on if you were born before 1979.

I was born after and had to have at least a C in Maths, English and Science to get on my course.
    I know they do equivalent tests for Maths but don't know about science and English.
    You will need to check though the rumour was they were going to put it up to at least a B to get in but that might not be for all uni's