What would you like to change for Series 12?

hownwbrowncowhownwbrowncow Posts: 6,188
Forum Member
Now that another fantastic series of SCD has been and gone, what changes would YOU make for next year?

I personally would put the number of couples back down to 14. 15 was simply too many - 15 in one week was ridiculous. Also, an odd number meant that a couple of pros didn't have an official dance partner.

Also, I would bring back Dance Fusions for Week 10 - that was a brilliant addition last year - no idea why it was ditched.

Finally change Bruce for Claudia, although that's not looking likely anymore.

Apart from that though, I wouldn't change anything. I love SCD just the way it is, and I am sad that the TV listings will be so boring now - it's not only the end of the festive season that gets me down in January - it's SCD withdrawal symptoms! :D But anyway, I'm rambling :P

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 482
    Forum Member
    set a scores accumulator so missing weeks does put a couple in jeopardy.
  • tealovertealover Posts: 2,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only change I would make is that the public vote ONLY up until deciding the 4th place in the final, but that when the 3 remaining couples return the winner is the judges decision only. Oh, and that the show dance is AFTER the 4th placed couple has been eliminated. I think the couple's choice should be the first dance in the final, and the judges choice dance and the showdance should be for the 3 remaining couples.

And then there is NO public vote. The decision is the judges only, based on the showdance and their chosen dance.

My heart wanted Abbey to win last night (after Sophie went) but when I saw Natalie and Artems final dance it was absolutely superb, (their show dance was wonderful too) and technically (as a non dancer) I couldn't fault her. I just haven't liked her throughout the series although I have applauded her performances......but my dislike of her has affected my votes. However, she was without doubt the best dancer and should have won. This morning I do feel that she has been "robbed" and that the Judges would actually have named the BEST dancer as the winner. I am ashamed I didn't vote for her now in retrospect.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can just see the rows and disagreements and cries of "FIX" if the suggestion of no public voting at the end is ever implemented.

Apart from which, removing the greatest element of public participation at such a crucial point would really destroy the atmosphere and the public investment in the show. Why vote early on if the final decision is taken out of your hands (and in some ways becomes a foregone conclusion)?

And you would also deprive the viewers of a showdance (probably the main spectacle of the Final), and that would cause even more arguments.

Strictly is primarily an entertainment show based around celebs learning to dance 9and thereby building up their popularity with the public).
  • Frank MagFrank Mag Posts: 1,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now that another fantastic series of SCD has been and gone, what changes would YOU make for next year?

I personally would put the number of couples back down to 14. 15 was simply too many - 15 in one week was ridiculous. Also, an odd number meant that a couple of pros didn't have an official dance partner.

Also, I would bring back Dance Fusions for Week 10 - that was a brilliant addition last year - no idea why it was ditched.

Finally change Bruce for Claudia, although that's not looking likely anymore.

Apart from that though, I wouldn't change anything. I love SCD just the way it is, and I am sad that the TV listings will be so boring now - it's not only the end of the festive season that gets me down in January - it's SCD withdrawal symptoms! :D But anyway, I'm rambling :P

The worst thing ever done in SCD history leave it were it belongs ... in the bin.

Ditching the public vote to decide the final would be the death of the show.

I know shows have to evolve to sustain their longevity but you only have to look at what has happened to the X-factor to see the results of too much change, at the moment SCD is going from strength to strength leave things as they are for another year.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd like all the finalists to have danced ALL the dances.

So either cut the number of dances back or add extra celebs. Could always do double eliminations in quarter or semi final (or even at Blackpool) if the series need to be a certain amount of weeks long.

I'd like a theme week were all the dances were from the 10 dances, with no props or pyrotechnics and appropriate music for everyone, kind of a real world competitive 10 dance week.
  • MonaoggMonaogg Posts: 19,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd like all the finalists to have danced ALL the dances.

So either cut the number of dances back or add extra celebs. Could always do double eliminations in quarter or semi final (or even at Blackpool) if the series need to be a certain amount of weeks long.

I'd like a theme week were all the dances were from the 10 dances, with no props or pyrotechnics and appropriate music for everyone, kind of a real world competitive 10 dance week.

Especially at a point where 10 couples remain. You get one of each.
  • via_487via_487 Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't change anything.
    I like the odd 'Brucie gaffs' (you can laugh about them later - my favourite is the 'shooing McFly away' one when Harry won) and, (once you get over the dismay at your favourite being choreographed an awful show dance) the show dance is good too (including the wondering 'will the pro deliver or mess up?').
    SCD is an institution which is a little quirky and sometimes annoying, but it's great fun and it works.
    So 'if it ain't broke don't try to fix it'. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    I think it's time for Bruce to hang up his dancing shoes. I wouldn't change the judges love Darcy good to have a solid team of pros judging. Maybe some hotter celebs next year Tony Jacklin and Feltzs oh and the hairy biker just the pits. Ever since John Sergent I am fed up with the joker in the pack. Oh and BBC News people sick and tired of seeing them. ;-)
  • shrinkingvioletshrinkingviolet Posts: 3,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like the scoring to be more consistent next year.

The main change I want though is I want the pros to have final say on song & theme. If a routine is terrible, I want to know it's the pros fault for it and not that they're being sabotaged bts.
  • dippydancingdippydancing Posts: 9,428
    Forum Member
    Have all the finalists do all of the dances. I really felt for Sophie & Brendan wandering around in their Charleston outfits with no Charleston to do, knowing that they'd spent precious time rehearsing it, in what must have been manic week, and all for no reason.

And don't open the phone lines until the dances are finished. A friend of mine voted for Abbey before she saw Natalie's American Smooth and then regretted her decision.
  • Grumpy_AlanGrumpy_Alan Posts: 1,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A new presenter is perhaps the most desirable change.

The judges, as long as they can try and be a little more consistent in awarding marks relative to their comments, seem to be doing fine.

Some of the music seemed to have little, if any, connection with the dance.. A return to more 'conventional' music could be a good thing.

The singers were too inconsistent varying from excellent to frankly awful at times.

Too many special effects and props that detracted from the entertainment value of the show but that's a mater of taste I suppose.

No more results shows filmed on Saturday and pretending to be Sunday.

If there has to be 'celebrity' guests, at least let then show at least a smidgen of talent and let them perform without the dancing around them which only encourages the audience to clap and cheer at wildly inappropriate places. Alternatively, drop the 'celebrities' and just have a slick, entertaining professional dance routine - it is a 'dancing' show after all.

Above all, cut out all of the irrelevant and often puerile VT inserts and just show the actual 'training' content which is, at the very least, relevant.
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My list of changes seems to have been the same every year since they messed up the show after Kara won (well, really they messed it up that series as well but I can forgive that because the calibre of the 3 finalists made up for the production team's idiotic changes). And every year they seem to mess up even more things that once made the show great.
    I'd like all the finalists to have danced ALL the dances

Yes! It's inexcusable that they don't, there's no reason whatsoever for them to not dance a new dance in the final if they haven't danced them all yet. The dancers used to do at least 4 dances in the final - in Alesha's year it was 5 I think!

There's no reason at all have more than 3 dancers in the final, so they either need to bring back the semi-final double elimination or have fewer contestants.

Also get rid of the props and the theme weeks, they're both embarassingly childish. Actual dances would be nice to see rather than 10 seconds of dance and 80 of faffing around.

Better music would help too - let the pros choose again as they actually know what music works for a particular dance - this year hardly any of the songs actually fitted the dances :rolleyes:

No 'joke' contestants.

New presenters - ruins the show when half of it has to be on mute due to the excruciating nature of Bruce's 'jokes'

Consistent and realistic scoring or a new judging panel. Dances with a lot of technical mistakes should not be getting 10s. Proper technique being rewarded would help too, and the judges actually giving constructive criticism that reflects what was actually danced, not who danced it.

Proper pro dances that actually show the dances that are supposed to be danced, rather than just being prop-filled showdances. The pro dancers are talented, but never get to show it. A bit more acknowledgement of them wouldn't go amiss either,same with the presenters actually learning to pronounce all their names properly.

Get rid of the cringeworthy VTs and actually show us some training.
  • Jorf68Jorf68 Posts: 193
    Forum Member
    Good points grumpy alan.

I too absolutely hate the comical and I use this word loosely Vts before each dance. I know it is a family show but still don't alienate the majority adults.
    Also echo the points about music. Some dire and uninspired choices this year with many a tune a recycle - how many more times do we have to endure a Latin to Spice Up Your Life?
    Finally tell Brucie to shut up and allow the winner their joy at winning.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh, and get rid of the spiny camera. It's stupid.
  • gorlagongorlagon Posts: 1,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Music that fits the dances for everyone.

All competitors to have done all ten Latin/ballroom dances by the final.

Save the Argentine Tango and Charleston to the two-dance stage.

Let the eliminated couple in the final perform their last dance as a last hurrah (Zoe did this in Goughie's year).
  • CoriakinCoriakin Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    There were two points I would like to see change after seeing last nights final.

Firstly, do not open the 'phone lines for the public vote in the final until after the show dance.

Secondly, and this applies not only to the final but the entire series, have proper camerawork. Show us the dancers' whole bodies. So often we are don't get to see important footwork or hip-action, or have to shift focus when it changes from close-up to longshot. At the very least there should a judge-cam view on the red button.
  • mirandawebmirandaweb Posts: 3,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No gratuitous naked, oiled flesh. We saw far too much of Ben's chest this series (and Artem's). I like a nice chest on a guy - but I don't want to see everything all the time. The show is supposed to be about their dancing, not how much time they put in at the gym doing purely cosmetic sculpting exercises.

I also think that we should see all the dances by all the contestants at each stage before we are able to vote.

Admittedly, Sophie and Brendan could have played snap for their second dance and I'd still have voted for her - but if I'd been a floating voter at that stage of the game then I'd probably have changed my mind a couple of times!

I also think that the couple who go out in fourth place should still get to do their dance. They could do it while the public are voting for the final winner, or as a 'farewell' dance then and there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 78
    Forum Member
    Ditch the elimination in the final. If we have to have four in the final and they're kept to the end then so be it. If not, let the eliminated couple do the dance they were going to do had they not been eliminated.

Get rid of the Swingathon - it's an opportunity for judges to manipulate leaderboard and it shouldn't be allowed. I wasn't too keen on fusion but I'd rather that than the swingathon.

Give pros more choice over music choices or themes within the dance.

I'm not a fan of theme weeks (except musicals) and if we're going to keep them stop with the 'faffing abaht' (as Len would say) and get on with the dancing instead of the daft VT's.

Bruce had been annoying me all series but the so called joke before Sophie & Brendan's VW took an eternity (the one with the going up and down the stairs) and just got me annoyed. Either tell him to calm down a bit or get Claudia.

Let us see the voting statistics after the final. This won't happen, but we can dream. Also, an ITT or something after the final would be nice too - a prolonged version of the red button feature.
  • ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    One thing the final always brings into sharp focus for me is how much I prefer the results to be broadcast live on a Saturday night.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sarahmcc5 wrote: »

Bruce had been annoying me all series but the so called joke before Sophie & Brendan's VW took an eternity (the one with the going up and down the stairs) and just got me annoyed. Either tell him to calm down a bit or get Claudia....

Utterly pointless and juvenile. He had no thought for a couple of contestants hyped-up for their own performance.

Whether he walked up the stairs, down the stars or even fell down the stairs was of absolutely no interest to the viewers who wanted to see - believe it or not - dancing.

Certainly not a tired old performer trying to hog the last few beams of the spotlight.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ever thought that it might have been an ad-lib in order to fill time due to someone or something not being ready, or some other off-screen mishap or issue?

No, of course not. Such things never happen on a live show do they!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Ever thought that it might have been an ad-lib in order to fill time due to someone or something not being ready, or some other off-screen mishap or issue?

No, of course not. Such things never happen on a live show do they!

If that were to be the case, then at least he could have tried to tell a few jokes. His ad-lib skills are not that bad but that episode was just awful and pointless - more embarrassing for the audience watching him up and down the stairs.

If it were the case,as you suggest, then a couple of well judged off the cuff amusing comments would have gone a long way to repairing his frayed reputation. As it was it had the opposite effect.

Is it really possible that something 'went wrong' in the instant between Tess saying "Who's next, Bruce" and him appearing on camera and going into that routine.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it really possible that something 'went wrong' in the instant between Tess saying "Who's next, Bruce" and him appearing on camera and going into that routine.
    Yes, of course. Any number of things could have gone wrong, from a camera going off, a wardrobe malfunction, someone not where they should be (sound, lighting, camera), a microphone or sound channel failing, a sound/light mixing desk issue, amongst many other scenarios.

It's a live show with a number of camera and sound positions, relying upon a fairly complex lighting & projection array (sync'd to the music), as well as live musicians and singers. Plenty to go wrong. And Tess might not have been aware or made aware.
  • Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like the scoring to be more consistent next year.

The main change I want though is I want the pros to have final say on song & theme. If a routine is terrible, I want to know it's the pros fault for it and not that they're being sabotaged bts.

Agree..I'll never get over Ashley in that monstrous Cowboy ensemble with that shocking song:o
  • Tony_BrooksTony_Brooks Posts: 485
    Forum Member
    Stop the audience booing and getting involved while judges are talking for a start