Options

The Walking Dead (US Pace) [SPOILERS]

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 388
Forum Member
Plot:

The Walking Dead is centered on Rick Grimes, a small-town police officer from Cynthiana, Kentucky, his family, and a number of other survivors who have banded together in order to survive after the world is overrun with zombies. As the series progresses, the characters become more developed, and their personalities shift under the stress of a zombie apocalypse, most notably Rick's.

Pre-air of episode 1 is out, find and enjoy.

Comments

• Options
    threecheesesthreecheeses Posts: 23,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just finished watching this.
    Bit like '28 Days Later' (I think it was that film) when he wakes up in the hospital.

Also reminded me of the scene in Hot Fuzz when he rode in to town with all the shotguns packed on his back. :)

Poor horse! Feel for the guy wanting to shoot his wife but he must know she is gone so should have just done it (easier said than done I guess).

How long must he have been in the hospital to survive though?
    This is what confused me as his buddy seemed to move in on his wife quickly, I'm assuming whilst he was in a coma? He must have come around a few days after the flowers and the drip would have run out so for him to survive it can't have been long after the hospital was attacked that he woke up?

Anyway liked the last line over the radio asking him if he was cosy in there (the tank).:D

It's a keeper for me.
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As this hasn't actually been broadcast yet, it's probably best to use spoiler tags to discuss the leaked pre-air version... ;):)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I did say in heading so plz respect that others may yet to watch pre air episode. Tag leaked story details. thanks
  • Options
    threecheesesthreecheeses Posts: 23,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apologies as I didn't know the official air date and didn't see your 'pre-air' bit. I thought, as with most threads, the tagged spoilers was just for future episodes. Never heard of a 'pre-air' before, was going by the thread title of US pace which usually means if it's available ;)

I'll see if the mods can spoiler it till whenever it becomes US pace?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Apologies as I didn't know the official air date and didn't see your 'pre-air' bit. I thought, as with most threads, the tagged spoilers was just for future episodes. Never heard of a 'pre-air' before, was going by the thread title of US pace which usually means if it's available ;)

I'll see if the mods can spoiler it till whenever it becomes US pace?

Some broadcasters release first episode of a season via website & torrent download before official broadcasting = pre-air.
    Dont worry first time i saw this i was confused too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't realise the pre-air was out. I got it last night and watched it immediately. Using VLC, you can crop it to full widescreen. Quality is perfectly watchable on 32" LCD but not up to SD TV captures. I love zombies, especially slow-moving ones so I was already over the line in terms of my commitment to the series.

My thoughts here:
    It was slower to get going than I would have liked. The zombie makeup is great. From the horse onwards, it builds to a really great climax with exactly the kind of zombie action that I love to watch. The tank piece was great and tense and I was gripped when he got underneath and was surrounded. But I did think "the only way out here is up" before he did it.

So, a guaranteed sure-fire hit for me. I cannot wait for the rest of the series.
  • Options
    tvtimestvtimes Posts: 9,276
    Forum Member
    I thought it was fantastic. Probably the best pilot i've ever seen of a show. It had me hooked!
  • Options
    ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    British actors, zombies and US budget. Unbeatable combination.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ironjade wrote: »
    British actors, zombies and US budget. Unbeatable combination.

The Guy from Love actually is a brilliant choice of a lead.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 82
    Forum Member
    does it makes sense to have a US pace thread for this when the UK airs it a few days after US transmission?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep. People will still watch at US Pace, even if it's aired in the UK only 5 days later.
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    What a great pilot! One of the best adaptations I've ever seen. I can't wait for episode 2!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Got to add to the positive reviews, Read the comic up to issue 77 & this is looking like the best TV adaptation for a long time. AMC = TV heaven
  • Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    Yep. People will still watch at US Pace, even if it's aired in the UK only 5 days later.

Also not everyone has Sky or Cable, so they will resort to US Pace to be able to see it within a reasonable time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Anyone know who's bought it over here? Is it Fx? If it is what a great acquisition for them plus they will show it in HD!
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It is FX. I think they are going to start showing it on 5th Nov, so only a smallish delay from US transmission date. Someone said it's got the 'Dexter' slot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also not everyone has Sky or Cable, so they will resort to US Pace to be able to see it within a reasonable time.

Yup, that too. Not everyone has FX...
    tvtimes wrote: »
    Anyone know who's bought it over here? Is it Fx? If it is what a great acquisition for them plus they will show it in HD!
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    It is FX. I think they are going to start showing it on 5th Nov, so only a smallish delay from US transmission date. Someone said it's got the 'Dexter' slot.

http://walkingdead.fxuk.com/

"Fridays 10PM from 5th November"
  • Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ooh I really enjoyed that! Just the kind of pace I was hoping for really. If it's going to be 8 episodes paced like this, then we should at least get to
    them setting up camp in the prison and the mini-war with the paramilitary group in the nearby town

hopefully ending with them
    leaving the prison and heading to Washington DC

which should mean another series next year with them catching up with the comics at the end of that perhaps?
  • Options
    DutyPaidDutyPaid Posts: 484
    Forum Member
    That was excellent. Really enjoyed it.
  • Options
    TracerTongTracerTong Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DutyPaid wrote: »
    That was excellent. Really enjoyed it.
    Agree, and the plot is intelligently handled too.
    I hope it stays true the the gfx novel, and keeps up the great quality of this episode.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,737
    Forum Member
    That Was Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D

Had been resisiting and wanted to wait for the Broadcast version to appear beforee watching, but I was weak and tonight I sat down to watch that which has probably been the most anticipated TV show for me in years!!!

As a huge fan of the comic series (Am all up to date up to and including this week's release) I really really loved the Pilot episode! Hats off to the whole team involved in the TV production. They have done such a brilliant job in bringing the pages of the comic to life - literally! With the comic each image is a work of art which really prides itself in the detail of the drawings. The TV version has done just the same, with each scene, each frame being carefully put together! the attention to detail and care that has gone into each scene is truly amazing!!!

Storywise, judging from the pilot, I think they have successfully transmitted the feel and drive of the comic onto the screen. Readers will know that depsite this story being about zombies, they are not the main drive of the story - a story about humanity, society etc. The TV version has done it justice. Whilst the detail of the zombies, and the horror element they provide to the story was replicated on screen; the sentiments, feelings and drama of the comic were done equal justice. The cast did an excellent job in bringing their characters and the drama that comes with each to the screen! Avoiding any spoilerish info (as this is a Pre air version rather than US pace as yet), I thouught Lennie James did a brilliant job as Morgan with the whole episode involving his wife! The kid - Morgan's kid - too did a fine job I thought despite his young age! And Andrew Lincoln - whom I usually haven't liked and especially hated during his pre-Walking Dead stint on Sky's Strike Back - was brilliant as Rick Grimes! I think they found the perfect guy to play Rick judging from his performance in the pilot!

Sorry for the long post but I had to say! The Walking Dead has been one of the most eagerly awaited TV dramas since its announcement last year! there has been a lot of hype, buzz and excitement. and judging from episode 1 - the pilot, they have not disappointed! Brilliant! Shame we just get six episodes, but a second season is cert!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    4 those that have yet to read the graphic novels buy it, download it, read over the shoulder of your friends its worth it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Another zombie graphic novel worth a read is "Crossed" which follows that same path but far to the extreme with the human condition.
  • Options
    misterelimistereli Posts: 822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Awesome, didn't know it had leaked. I really want to watch it but it is almost 3AM and I want to go to bed! :( lol

Maybe I'll watch just a little bit for now..
  • Options
    Inky BinkyInky Binky Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems like I'm the only one who hasn't caved into watching the screener. Believe me, the temptation is there. But I'm fighting it! I want my first experience with the show to be perfect: a 55" HDTV, a couch and Halloween night. :D
    spaintv wrote: »
    Shame we just get six episodes, but a second season is cert!

Even though a second season hasn't been confirmed yet, there's a 99% certainty that it will happen. Afterall, AMC had a contest a few months ago where winners will get a walk-on part as a zombie in one of the second season episodes (yes, I was among the many that signed up :D ). So they're definitely pretty confident about the series.