Eye Spy - C4 10pm

Comments

• Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    Looking at next weeks show, I would stand up to a waiter but not a bouncer. Youre on your own there Im afraid.
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,512
    Forum Member
    Very interesting show.
  • habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That was very good.

Going back to the "cash in hand" bloke. Thats the only way I've ever paid any tradesmen I've had do jobs in my house.
    Forum Member
    When I was about 14 (12 years ago) I went to draw money out of an ATM and noticed a card slotted in there. I took it out and went into the bank to hand it in and the person behind the counter snatched it from me and gave me the nastiest look as if I'd stolen it when I had just handed it in :(:mad:

That's awful :mad:
  • Bradders33Bradders33 Posts: 310
    Forum Member
    stvn758 wrote: »
    Very impressed by the Asian people, shame we just sit there and mumble.

Agree. It's good to see that it works both ways.

I absolutely abhor racism. I definitely speak up if I witness it. I have done so in the past.
  • intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member
    IzzyS wrote: »
    That was good, I enjoyed that show :)

Me too :) And glad to see it's on next week!

Still like this better!: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VGASbQbIk0
  • IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ollie_h19 wrote: »
    Looking at next weeks show, I would stand up to a waiter but not a bouncer. Youre on your own there Im afraid.

What about the men only parking spaces? the cheek! :mad::rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Me too :) And glad to see it's on next week!

Still like this better!: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VGASbQbIk0

Ooh - awkward :-/ its interesting to see how different people react.
  • owlloverowllover Posts: 7,980
    Forum Member
    With all the restaurant examples, in the situation I would have immediately called for the manager and complained. Maybe many people did but for the purposes of the experiment it rendered it pointless.

Many years ago I was in my favourite (small) Greek restaurant in London and two black couples were seated at the next table. We all nodded and smiled and got on with looking at the menu. A short while later two white couples came in and it was immediately apparent from their accents which part of the world they were from.

They were offered the table on the other side and at first sat down and then asked to be moved. My hackles immediately rose but the owner knew me well, subtly winked at me and coldly told them all other tables were reserved, their choice.

They chose to leave.

I hope I'll never stand by and ignore racism but that was a long time ago.

ETA By a long time ago I mean that I hope things are improving.
  • Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    What about the men only parking spaces? the cheek! :mad::rolleyes:

Doesnt really affect me but in a woman's position i would try to pull them down.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    The wallet exercise is interesting - how many of us have our home address in our wallet? is this commonplace? :confused:

Just catching this now, on timeshift the wallet experiment has been done before by a psycholist in the 60's or 70's IIRC.
    The picture inside makes a difference as to whether it's returned IIRC.

Back to the program, see what happens.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just catching this now, on timeshift the wallet experiment has been done before by a psycholist in the 60's or 70's IIRC.
    The picture inside makes a difference as to whether it's returned IIRC.

Back to the program, see what happens.

My wallet doesn't even have a space for a photo - I'm not sure what I'd put in there if it did though, since I don't have a partner or kids.
  • chipstick10chipstick10 Posts: 7,168
    Forum Member
    I was walking behind a guy yesterday and over and over again he kept spitting on the pavement, gobbing everywhere. Gross. I was incensed and so wanted to say something but I didn't. I'm angry at myself.:mad:
  • PinkPetuniaPinkPetunia Posts: 5,479
    Forum Member
    When I watched the young lad steal the bike that had a wire attached to it I really really wanted his head to go through the bars of the railing and get stuck .
  • manickangaroomanickangaroo Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought this was great.
  • Bradders33Bradders33 Posts: 310
    Forum Member
    I was walking behind a guy yesterday and over and over again he kept spitting on the pavement, gobbing everywhere. Gross. I was incensed and so wanted to say something but I didn't. I'm angry at myself.:mad:

Probably for the best that you didn't. That sort of person probably would not think twice about spitting at you.

I also remember this tragic story all too well... 😢

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/3197864.stm
  • yenstonyenston Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure how real this show was. Didn't anyone notice how "the public" were all young people? Particularly with the restaurant scenario, all the other diners were young, especially in Manchester. They all looked like students to me and I think the whole thing was a set-up. Maybe they didn't know exactly what was going and had been invited for a free meal to take part in something or other.
  • owlloverowllover Posts: 7,980
    Forum Member
    yenston wrote: »
    I'm not sure how real this show was. Didn't anyone notice how "the public" were all young people? Particularly with the restaurant scenario, all the other diners were young, especially in Manchester. They all looked like students to me and I think the whole thing was a set-up. Maybe they didn't know exactly what was going and had been invited for a free meal to take part in something or other.

I did have the same suspicion with the restaurant scenes.

Nevertheless the Londoners reacted and the Asians walked out in disgust and that certainly seemed real to me.
  • far2coolfar2cool Posts: 6,334
    Forum Member
    Just watched this.

I'm always slightly suspicious with these 'hidden camera' shows, and how much the set-up for the cameras.

The restaurant bits stuck out a bit as people have pointed out it was mainly young people in there, and they were quite empty, it seemed a bit 'convenient'. And there was something written on a piece of paper on the door of the last Indian segment. But I couldn't work out what it said.

Anyway, enough of me being a picky tw@ - It was a good show that raised some interesting questions - I'll definitely watch again next week.
    Forum Member
    On a side note - How else do you pay traders other than cash?! No-one bothers with cheques anymore, no-one in our house even has a cheque book anymore!
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    far2cool wrote: »
    On a side note - How else do you pay traders other than cash?! No-one bothers with cheques anymore, no-one in our house even has a cheque book anymore!

Yes people still use cheques, plenty of builders and other trades still like cheques.
    Lots of people still get paid by cheque, hence those cheque cashing services.

BTW What traders are you on about ?
    Forum Member
    BTW What traders are you on about ?

In the show, the tradesman and the banker talking about tax avoidance.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting show but thought the whole location vs location thing was a bit dumb. I don't think you could take anything away from the fact in Manchester the waiter wasn't confronted, no more than you could the fact that in the London examples none of the black customers paid the actor any attention, save for in one case when he'd already been confronted.

Still the reactions were great to see. I've seen an American version of this show and I'm sure I remember a few examples where the actors are racist and customers actually JOIN IN!
  • intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member
    BlackGrass wrote: »
    Interesting show but thought the whole location vs location thing was a bit dumb. I don't think you could take anything away from the fact in Manchester the waiter wasn't confronted, no more than you could the fact that in the London examples none of the black customers paid the actor any attention, save for in one case when he'd already been confronted.

Still the reactions were great to see. I've seen an American version of this show and I'm sure I remember a few examples where the actors are racist and customers actually JOIN IN!

Yeah, I think it may be the show I quoted: What Would You Do? But as much as some of the customers join in with the actor I equally like when the customers get irate at the actors. There are real polar opposites in that version and its always nice when you see people really stand up to them, whereas I found this version to be rather lukewarm
    Forum Member
    Free money :D