Options

Mentions of Savile / Harris / Hall etc in old comedies

Comments

• Options
    sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Removing references of these people doesn't stop them existing or mean their crimes never happened. If anything they should be kept to remind viewers they exist and what they did.
    If the Benidorm episode is repeated in, say, ten years' time and someone who is a child now watches, they could then be told, as a teenager, who Harris is and what he's done.

Obviously things like the HIGNFY episode Rolf presented shouldn't be shown because he'd earn money for it, and he was in it all the way through, but a throwaway comment should stay.

If Hugh Dennis's Saville impressions were removed he would barely feature on MTW.

The very reason that they should not be left.

I cannot imagine how it must be to have your abuser on the TV for most of your life rubbing your nose into the fact you were never believed. The very least they can do is make sure that they are protected now.

Im not talking about programmes related to them, but the ones where you are innocently watching a funny programme, and POW out of the blue you are transported back to a terrible and lonely time.
  • Options
    GORTONIANGORTONIAN Posts: 8,673
    Forum Member
    The very reason that they should not be left.

I cannot imagine how it must be to have your abuser on the TV for most of your life rubbing your nose into the fact you were never believed. The very least they can do is make sure that they are protected now.

Im not talking about programmes related to them, but the ones where you are innocently watching a funny programme, and POW out of the blue you are transported back to a terrible and lonely time.

But as I said earlier HOW DO YOU CHOOSE THE PROGRAMMES THEN ??

I DO understand where you are coming from and yes It's a knockout with Hall will and should never see the light of day again
    Likewise Rolfs variety shows Animal Hospital etc
    BUT there is always going to be the odd thing that will slip through
    As I said and I'm sorry to keep coming back to it Hall in the audience in The Good Old Days
    You cannot seriously expect to erase these people from history
    Someone will always have a video a film a radio recording
    One of these poor kids/adults could be walking past someone who reminds them of their abuser

What then ?
    I was in a relationship with a girl who was sexually abused by her father and though the feelings she harboured towards him never left her in time with help and counciling 99% learn to cope and in time trust again
    My thoughts and prayers are with these people who were too frightend to come forward or who did and weren't believed
    I hope they may find the inner peace and strength they seek
  • Options
    Hyram FyramHyram Fyram Posts: 3,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who the hell would ever repeat It's a Knockout or Animal Hospital anyway? They were utterly evanescent.
  • Options
    LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's completely impossible to exclude everything that might upset someone, somewhere, sometime.

I remember coming home from a very sad funeral of a young friend killed in an accident, switching on the TV to watch some comedy show to try and lighten our mood, only to find it featured .... a funeral. And it was upsetting, but heyho. Every day, everywhere, someone is bereaved and grieving, yet no one suggests that death be banned from TV.

I'm surprise they ever showed anything like Animal Hospital anyway, it might have upset someone who'd just had their pet put to sleep. [/sarcasm]
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can't make a wrong right by editing history. By doing that, all you do is hide. It's already a dubious move to try past actions by present perspectives. But you're certainly not going to help anyone now by pretending certain people never existed in old recordings.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You can't make a wrong right by editing history. By doing that, all you do is hide. It's already a dubious move to try past actions by present perspectives. But you're certainly not going to help anyone now by pretending certain people never existed in old recordings.

EXACTLY
  • Options
    DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 110,033
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Auf wiedersehen pet a few weeks ago they, said what do you think this is Jim I'll fix it.

My local radio station currently runs a jingle with an australian voice advertising double glazing or something.

There are no prizes for guessing who it sounds like
  • Options
    CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member

They seem to be trying.
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It has more to do with paying them repeat fees on showing old shows but as for comments made by other characters in a show these should stay in.
  • Options
    Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Coincidentally, I downloaded an episode of the IT Crowd and the episode featured Roy wearing T-shirt with Rolf Harris' face emblazoned on it with the slogan ROFL :o
  • Options
    jewelleryqjewelleryq Posts: 222
    Forum Member
    Considering his antics, sick behaviour and attempts to hush victims up by paying money - The "king of Pop" has remained relatively unscathed.

Maybe the American authorities are less vigorous in their investigations or Mr Thriller was just too powerful to investigate.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    steveh31 wrote: »
    It has more to do with paying them repeat fees on showing old shows but as for comments made by other characters in a show these should stay in.

It's easy enough to stop payment of repeat fees to anyone
    And as I said before I'm certainly not advocating them showing programmes built around them

And don't forget it's human nature if you ban something it won't stop people watching or finding it ... In fact it probably makes them more determined

It's a hugely sad sickening state of affairs and the repercussions are going to be felt for years but sweeping if all out of history isn't the answer
    It needs to be there so as to make sure that please God it won't happen again
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jewelleryq wrote: »
    Considering his antics, sick behaviour and attempts to hush victims up by paying money - The "king of Pop" has remained relatively unscathed.

Maybe the American authorities are less vigorous in their investigations or Mr Thriller was just too powerful to investigate.

It probably wasn't Mr Thriller who was too powerful to investigate I'd imagine they hit the the brick wall that was Epic records and it's parent companies with the best legal teams money could buy
    I'd imagine if they closed down all their film music tv and publishing companies in the states and relocated they would not only throw thousands out of jobs but deprive the American governments billions of dollars in taxes
    The antics of the parents who settled with him out of court didn't help either
    I recall either the mother or father of the victim allegedly saying they'd walked in to find the victim having a sex act performed on him ... And the parent said nothing and just left the room
    If that is true is it any wonder they couldn't convict him ???
    And yet despite all this his recordings still sell huge amounts and he is still an integral part of many more people's childhood than Rolf and co will ever be
  • Options
    cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    sw2963 wrote: »
    Coincidentally, I downloaded an episode of the IT Crowd and the episode featured Roy wearing T-shirt with Rolf Harris' face emblazoned on it with the slogan ROFL :o

At the time that ep was on i thought that shirt was genius (Even now it is)
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Context.

Some more words would have been better.
  • Options
    cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    Some more words would have been better.

Mentioning someone positively who is known to have committed certain crimes is probably needed to be cut, But someone mentioning that 'we should write to jim'll fix it' should be left alone for example

There is a line in an episode of gimme gimme gimme that mentions jimmy saville 'sitting on my face' Face being the name of a horse....That one may need to be cut for taste
  • Options
    Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    It's a not a comedy, but there's an old Doctor Who story ("The War Machines ?") where
    a girl says the William Hartnell Doctor "looks like that disc jockey" (implied to be Savile, of
    course).
  • Options
    Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    I've just noticed among Rolf's extensive IMDB page is a role in one of
    the worst-reviewed films ever, the Danny Dyer "Run For Your Wife":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Run_for_Your_Wife_%282012_film%29

So does this mean all copies of RFYW are going to be buried in a
    landfill?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »

Oh for goodness sake, so they're worried about paying Savile repeat fees? It's cowardice and stupidity, not fear of repeat fees, that prompts such nonsense.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh for goodness sake, so they're worried about paying Savile repeat fees? It's cowardice and stupidity, not fear of repeat fees, that prompts such nonsense.

Pay Saville Repeat fees 😳?????
    HOW??
    They'd have a job now unless they've opened a branch in eternal damnation
    As already said if it's a show where they are only mentioned or guesting they COULD be edited out
    Why should the other people in the shows miss out because of them ???
    From having a niece in the business I can tell you repeat fees certainly don't run into thousands for a supporting artist but given the ever perilous job situation for actors every penny is welcome
  • Options
    LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's cowardice and stupidity, not fear of repeat fees, that prompts such nonsense.

Yes, and what is so very worrying about all this is that people are accepting it , and believing that there are valid reasons why these artists and their work should be suppressed. There are not.
  • Options
    JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    GORTONIAN wrote: »
    Pay Saville Repeat fees 😳?????
    HOW??
    They'd go to his estate... and ironically, therefore, to his victims, as the compensation payouts pretty much wiped out the estate.
  • Options
    Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member

How about an equivalent of a 'swear box' for broadcasters who do not omit references to Hall, Savile, Harris, et al? The funds could go to victims of abuse! :kitty:
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Surely omitting references to Harris, Hall etc would be the same as saying they never exsisted and sweeping what they did under the carpet? That's got to be worse.
  • Options
    Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    Surely omitting references to Harris, Hall etc would be the same as saying they never exsisted and sweeping what they did under the carpet? That's got to be worse.

Yeah. My post specifically, was (rather clumsily) trying to highlight the futility and stupidity of such actions.