• The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saturday 23rd February - BBC One

The Football League Show

Manish Bhasin presented alongside Steve Claridge

Bristol City v Barnsley - John Roder
    Middlesbrough v Millwall - Dan O'Hagan
    Swindon Town v Preston North End - Mark Clemmit (reporting)
    Notts County v Bury (Friday) - Martin Fisher

Championship round-ups - Alex Gordon-Martin, Dave Beckett, Dan Mason and Adam Pope
    League One round-ups - Dan Mason, Mick Conway and Adam Pope
    League Two round-ups - Alex Gordon-Martin, Dave Beckett, Mick Conway, Chris Maughan and Adam Pope
  • HomesdaleHomesdale Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    Bayern Munich v Werder Bremen

ESPN HD (delayed) - Tim Caple
    Forum Member
    delete
    Forum Member
    Feyenoord v PSV Eindhoven

ESPN HD - Jim Proudfoot
  • johnnylogicjohnnylogic Posts: 1,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark. wrote: »
    Given the events at Italy v Wales in the Six Nations today, the BBC were quite lucky in that they could draft in a commentator from a sister station (S4C) at half time.

In football, how would Sky, ESPN or ITV cope with a commentator taking ill during a game? Would they take the "nuclear option" of reverting to the world feed, or do they have someone on standby ready to take over?

If it was a live game, I guess they'd have to muddle through with the co-commentator, perhaps with either the touchline reporter or the presenter taking over. Sky often use Guy Havord as a touchline reporter, don't they? He's done a fair bit of commentary, so I don't think there would be a problem there.

On a slightly different note, TV companies used to book stand-in commentators for World Cup/Euro/major club European games played abroad in case the commentary line to the ground went down - which has happened a few times down the years.

But I think Ariusuk said on here a while ago that this isn't necessary any more, because there are so many back-up feeds to ensure the commentary stays on air.

Really, though, what are the chances of a commentator falling ill so quickly during a game? I know it happened to Nigel Adderley during a Radio Five Sports Extra commentary between West Ham and Fulham a few years ago, and the station just abandoned coverage. Thankfully, Adderley made a full recovery,

Link: Nigel Adderley story
  • Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Celtic v Dundee, Sky Sports 4 HD

David Tanner presenting, with Neil McCann and Stephen McManus.

Commentary from Ian Crocker and Andy Walker. Luke Shanley doing interviews.
  • bwfcolbwfcol Posts: 13,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My Word! It's Ed with Ray "Stay on your feet" Wilkins and Niall Quinn at City

Shreeves reporting
    Forum Member
    Manchester City v Chelsea

Premier League TV - John Dykes with Andy Townsend, Alan Curbishley & Michael Owen.
    Forum Member
    Homesdale wrote: »
    Manchester City v Chelsea

Premier League TV - John Dykes with Andy Townsend, Alan Curbishley & Michael Owen.

Sky Sports 1 HD - Martin Tyler & Gary Neville
    World Feed - Peter Drury & Jim Beglin

Newcastle v Southampton

World Feed - Tony Jones & Barry Horne

Ajax v ADO Den Haag

World Feed - Adam Summerton
  • coventrywooocoventrywooo Posts: 3,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ESPN/ESPNHD
    Juventus Vs Siena
    Nat Coombs With Richard Hughes And Gabriele Marcotti
    Comms: Steve Bower And Richard Hughes
    Forum Member
    ESPN/ESPNHD
    Juventus Vs Siena
    Nat Coombs With Richard Hughes And Gabriele Marcotti

ESPN HD - Steve Bower & Richard Hughes
    World Feed - Paul Visca

Atalnta v AS Roma - Shane McDermott
  • Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mlt11 wrote: »
    highly rated reporter-presenter Rebecca Lowe has impressed both ESPN’s American network chiefs and NBC, who have the US Premier League rights. Lowe’s possible move across the Atlantic might be connected to her partner, football manager Paul Buckle, leaving non-League Luton Town for personal reasons."

I heard this, but I wonder if this is connected to Buckle's resignation, because if she was going in the summer, I don't see why you'd resign three hours before a match in February, and I don't suppose the club would be as understanding as they appear to be in this case, given they don't wish to reveal the reasons. If he is going, what's stopping them saying that?
    Not sure why BT would want to take many of the ESPN team?
    All that would do is make it seem like the old ESPN?
    A few maybe but surley new faces = new Channel?

Well, that's more or less what ESPN did when they took over from Setanta, getting Stubbs in instead of just importing the entire Setanta team, though obviously you've got commentators, reporters and presenters twiddling their thumbs so it makes sense to hire some of them. I do recall in the biogs of the presenters when they launched, however, they never mentioned Setanta even if they'd come straight from there, a la Currie and Lowe.

Really, though, what are the chances of a commentator falling ill so quickly during a game? I know it happened to Nigel Adderley during a Radio Five Sports Extra commentary between West Ham and Fulham a few years ago, and the station just abandoned coverage. Thankfully, Adderley made a full recovery,

Yes, and a very famous example came when Peter Jones died while commentating on the Boat Race, and Dan Topolski had to carry on on his own. I know the reason Cliff Morgan is commentating on that famous Barbarians try from 1973 is because Bill McLaren was off sick.

I can't think of many examples from football. There was a Big Match in the early seventies when Brian Moore fell ill just before the game and Jimmy Hill had to commentate.

There was that moment in the 1986 World Cup, when the first few days were riddled with technical problems at the IBC, where ITV failed to get any commentary from Peter Brackley at all on a live game, so Brian Moore did it all in the studio. But they also had Clive Tyldesley in London as a standby commentator but decided not to use him, given he'd done no TV at the time presumably they thought he'd be too nervous and obscure for primetime. He still commentated, though, and failed to notice a goal being disallowed so he spent the entire match giving out the wrong score, and was most relieved when he find out nobody'd heard it.

And of course there was that match where Alan Green had to abandon commentary after an announcement came over the tannoy that his car was on fire.
  • bwfcolbwfcol Posts: 13,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ed is now with Niall & Ray on SSN

I think that an earlier KO would be better for some post-match analysis on SS1 and a longer Capital Cup Final build up.

SSN aren't showing any incidents from the game now, I presume it's a right issue.
    Forum Member
    Bradford City v Swansea City

Al Jazeera Sport +3 - Angus Scott with Dean Windass & Roberto Martínez.

Commentary - Jon Champion & Craig Burley
  • Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has there ever been a worse panel of pundits for a major final than the one currently on Sky?
  • mromegamromega Posts: 6,569
    Forum Member
    Jamesp84 wrote: »
    Has there ever been a worse panel of pundits for a major final than the one currently on Sky?

The one on Al Jazeera for the same final?
  • chrisfinchchrisfinch Posts: 5,735
    Forum Member
    bwfcol wrote: »
    Ed is now with Niall & Ray on SSN

I think that an earlier KO would be better for some post-match analysis on SS1 and a longer Capital Cup Final build up.

SSN aren't showing any incidents from the game now, I presume it's a right issue.

Even a 1.15 kick off would allow the programme to start in its usual 1pm slot and give the chance for a bit more post-match stuff before the League Cup final.
  • Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mromega wrote: »

Apart from the one on Al Jazeera ;)
    I suppose Sky could have picked Windass ahead of Begarie as the Bradford connection :eek:
    Forum Member
    mromega wrote: »

Must admit both panels are pretty poor. :mad:
  • Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So here's the whole weekend...
    Notts County vs Bury - Introduced by George Gavin with Ronnie Moore, commentary by Daniel Mann and Don Goodman
    Fulham vs Stoke - Introduced by Dave Jones with Sam Allardyce, commentary by Rob Hawthorne and Davie Provan
    Middlesbrough vs Millwall - Introduced by Simon Thomas with Peter Beagrie, commentary by Bill Leslie and Don Goodman
    Man City vs Chelsea - Introduced by Ed Chamberlin with Niall Quinn and Ray Wilkins, commentary by Martin Tyler and Gary Neville
    Swanea vs Bradford - Introduced by Ben Shephard with Peter Beagrie, Chris Coleman and Jamie Redknapp, commentary by Alan Parry and Alan Smith

A 1.15 kick-off for the Man City match would have made more sense especially as that's what they always do for a Football League match in that slot so they can get some post-match stuff in. And it doesn't make this Final seem very special if it gets exactly the same length of build-up and post-match (actually less of the latter) as a bog standard Premier League game.
    Forum Member
    Celta De Vigo v Granada

World Feed - Paul Giblin
  • LPS13LPS13 Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    Dundee United v Hibernian, Live on ESPN

Darryl Currie with Steve Lomas and Craig Levein in the studio.

Commentators Derek Rae and Stephen Craigan
    Reporter Eilidh Barbour
  • ReadingfanReadingfan Posts: 10,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Judging from what I've seen of his work in the past, I'd say Roberto Martinez was a fantastic pundit. (Not so much a fan of his managerial work though...) :p
  • Ian CleverlyIan Cleverly Posts: 10,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ajax v ADO Den Haag

World Feed - Adam Summerton

AZ Alkmaar V NAC Breda - Sounds like Bob Ballard?
  • Ian CleverlyIan Cleverly Posts: 10,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bradford City v Swansea City

Al Jazeera Sport +3 - Angus Scott with Dean Windass & Roberto Martínez.

Commentary- Jon Champion & Craig Burley

BeIn Sport USA - Ross Dyer and Ian Paul Joy
This discussion has been closed.