New laptop - backing up OS

lea27lea27 Posts: 11,426
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi all,

Bought a new laptop today and they told me to back up the operating system onto disk, is this really necessary, why would you have to do it and how do you do it?

Comments

• JOEVILLEJOEVILLE Posts: 970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because you don't have the disc and you might want to do a reinstall one day.

Follow the instruction in the manual or from the make back up option or whatever it's called, it doesn't take long and it's worth a blank cd or dvd.
  • lea27lea27 Posts: 11,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for reply, I guess we should use non-rewritables in that case?
  • user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lea27 wrote: »
    Thanks for reply, I guess we should use non-rewritables in that case?

Yes....
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And don't forget to do regular back-ups of your data files as well.

The initial back-up you are being told to perform now will restore your laptop to it's current state if you get a serious problem, eg disk failure or a massive file corruption. But you still need those incremental back-ups to restore your data, which is probably more vital in many respects than the initial OS back-up

After all if all else fails you can pop into PC World and buy a copy of Windows to re-install the operating system. But PC World don't sell all those irreplaceable family photos, important letters and documents or whatever that you accumulate over the years.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for replies. The manual doesnt actually show a way to back up the OS, is it something that Im just going to be able to find in the help and support?
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is usually an icon or program on the new laptop that you can just run to write it all to a blank DVD.

Most have it, plus many also have a hidden part of the hard disk you can also access when turning the power on. They both allow you to restore the laptop back to its factory condition.
  • Knarf44Knarf44 Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also, don't start the back up process using the laptops battery power - plug it into the mains and DON'T switch it off or attempt to switch it off before the back up is complete.

On my Asus, it took 4 CDs and about an hour to complete.
  • DANCE OF DEATHDANCE OF DEATH Posts: 4,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I bought my Samsung R730 the first thing it asked for automatically was for me to do a backup of everything after it sorted windows out.
  • max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    The manufacturer usually provides a utility to create the recovery disk(s). Look through the 'All Programs' list on the Start Menu - the relevant one should be fairly obviously named (e.g Acer eRecovery Management).

And to add to the above advice about plugging in the mains, also ensure you leave the laptop on a hard surface - not a sofa or bed. It'll get hot.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bought a new laptop today and they told me to back up the operating system onto disk, is this really necessary, why would you have to do it and how do you do it?
    We have lots of questions from people asking how to reinstall the software on their PC when they didn't create the disks!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Still having trouble with this guys. I can see where I would back up files and personal things on the laptop but cant find how to actually back up the windows 7 itself. Keep reading something about system image?
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Still having trouble with this guys. I can see where I would back up files and personal things on the laptop but cant find how to actually back up the windows 7 itself. Keep reading something about system image?

As soon as your PC starts up, tap at the F10 key.

This should give you the option to enter System Restore mode, or something similar.
    look closely at what appears on the screen as your PC starts. It might require that you press something else but it's usually F10.

Once you've got the Sytsem Restore utility running DO NOT allow it to actually DO a system restore.
    If all you get is a message saying something like "Your system will now be restored to factory configuration. Press Y to continue or N to quit" then press "N" and have a rethink.

If your system restore utility is more comprehensive it might give you the option to burn a set of recovery disks.
    In this case, follow the instructions, feed it the required disks and give yourself a pat on the back.

If the system restore utility won't allow you to burn recovery disks then your only hope (for doing it simply) is that somewhere, from within W7, there's a utility supplied by the manufacturer which'll allow you to burn recovery disks.

I'm currently in a similar position.
    I have a laptop with all the recovery files in a hidden part of the HDD and the recovery software (A thing called PC Angel) is very rudimentary and won't allow me to burn recovery disks.

In that case, making a copy of the recovery partition of the HDD is proving (for me, at least) to be quite complex.

One other option is to do a system restore on your PC so that it's totally clean and then use software such as Acronis TrueImage to create an image of the entire HDD which can be written back onto the HDD if everything goes horribly wrong in the future.
    That's not a very elegant solution but it will work.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What make/model PC do you have (look underneath)?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have now performed a system backup for Windows 7 by creating a system image which backs everything up and also creates a back up recovery disc. Took 8 dvd+r and four hours.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have now performed a system backup for Windows 7 by creating a system image which backs everything up and also creates a back up recovery disc. Took 8 dvd+r and four hours.
    That's good, but not really what you wanted.

You should have the facility to backup just the original OS using a utility from the manufacturer.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Stig wrote: »
    That's good, but not really what you wanted.

You should have the facility to backup just the original OS using a utility from the manufacturer.

That's probably what I'll end up doing with my laptop too.

It's far from ideal and there should really be some way to actually create recovery DVDs from the data on the HDD but some manufacturers simply don't give customers this option.

Quite what they expect people to do when their HDD is physically damaged is anybody's guess.
  • pocatellopocatello Posts: 8,813
    Forum Member
    You must do this because these days they are too cheap to give you %#@ restore dvds.
    If your harddrive were to fail, or if you wanted to easily upgrade your drive, you need those restore discs. Do not delay.

Worst are when they only let you make restore discs once, as if you were going to do something with multiple copies, it's ridiculous.