Options

You might enjoy the hot weather. Your dog doesn't!

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a border collie and his laziness in the summer months is much welcomed :D
  • Options
    U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a border collie and his laziness in the summer months is much welcomed :D

He doesn't want to chase sheep/cars?.:D
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    pugamo wrote: »
    Incorrect, hot pavements can and do burn pads on their paws.

I'll take your word for it. Never happened to any dog I've had. Perhaps it depends on whether they are working/outdoors dogs, or coddled toy things.
  • Options
    Rocket QueenRocket Queen Posts: 1,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    I assume you have asked your dogs if they like the heat and they told you "yes"? While there is an element of danger it should be avoided. It is better to assume that it isn't safe for them and do your best to keep them cool and comfy at home than to assume that because you're OK then the dogs will be too. The RSPCA offer guidelines for a reason. These reasons should be considered.

Well that's one I will defo not bother with.
  • Options
    yorkiegalyorkiegal Posts: 18,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But some need more than 2 walks a day I'm out before 6am for her first walk and about 8pm for her last I can't expect her to wait about 11 hours between walks in the day

what breed is she? My boxer normally has 3 walks per day but since it's been so hot I've replaced his middle walk with 20 mins of sitting out at the front of our flat, which doesn't get the sun, with a bowel of water and a chew toy. He did chase my neighbours little girl around for five mins (playing not attacking lol) but then I made him stop and he was happy to flop down on the grass again.
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yorkiegal wrote: »
    http://www.dogstrust.org.uk/az/h/heat/default.aspx#.UeHZdI3yKSo

some advice on dealing with heat and dogs. :)

Sadly there will still be some who think they know best and will regard these guidelines as nonsense.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well that's one I will defo not bother with.

What? You think you know more than professionally trained people within the RSPCA?
  • Options
    Rocket QueenRocket Queen Posts: 1,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a quick walk down to the local field where there is shade under the trees or perhaps running water is very different to being taken into the town centre, walking on hot pavements, being left outside shops etc.

Dogs can be exercised in the early morning and late evening.

Normally my dog would be driving me mental by 3pm if he hadn't had his afternoon walk. Today he was more than happy to wait until the evening.

If a dog owner can't be arsed to get out of bed early and exercise their beloved pet at a cooler time of day, they shouldn't have a pet in the first place.

Oh well, am a bad owner then:cry:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw film of a dog that had been left in a car once.Soaked in sweat and foaming at the mouth.It died.
    Never forget that pitiful sight.Whimpering and convulsing.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    what breed is she? My boxer normally has 3 walks per day but since it's been so hot I've replaced his middle walk with 20 mins of sitting out at the front of our flat, which doesn't get the sun, with a bowel of water and a chew toy. He did chase my neighbours little girl around for five mins (playing not attacking lol) but then I made him stop and he was happy to flop down on the grass again.

A Staffy

I take her to the beach as it's only across the road and that area is allowed she likes to paddle in the sea as long as I keep her lead on she is ok with that.

Plus if it's to hot I put a wet T shirt on her
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    U96 wrote: »
    He doesn't want to chase sheep/cars?.:D

Scooters and bikes are his moving objects of choice :D

He would usually be an absolute basketcase by now as his walks have been hugely reduced the past few days but he seems content to lay around on the kitchen floor tiles. Pleasantly relaxing :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Perhaps you are. Albeit inadvertently.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    a quick walk down to the local field where there is shade under the trees or perhaps running water is very different to being taken into the town centre, walking on hot pavements, being left outside shops etc.

Dogs can be exercised in the early morning and late evening.

Normally my dog would be driving me mental by 3pm if he hadn't had his afternoon walk. Today he was more than happy to wait until the evening.

If a dog owner can't be arsed to get out of bed early and exercise their beloved pet at a cooler time of day, they shouldn't have a pet in the first place.

Perhaps they are out of bed early to go to work, which I assume is something you don't do seeing as you're at home with your dog expecting a walk before 3pm?
  • Options
    BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    I'll take your word for it. Never happened to any dog I've had. Perhaps it depends on whether they are working/outdoors dogs, or coddled toy things.

Me thinks thats the problem here. Sensitive people with their little toy dogs. Little "Mitsy" is panting a bit...someone call the vet!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »

It's tarmac pavements that can burn. Not generally concrete ones. Only because tarmac melts.
  • Options
    Forum Member

You're probably just fine. Don't worry about it. You know your dog and don't need 'school marm' lectures on the matter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scooters and bikes are his moving objects of choice :D

He would usually be an absolute basketcase by now as his walks have been hugely reduced the past few days but he seems content to lay around on the kitchen floor tiles. Pleasantly relaxing :D

Even hyper dogs need a summer holiday from chasing stuff.:D

Just don't mention 'fox' or you'll get him started again.:eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Me thinks thats the problem here. Sensitive people with their little toy dogs. Little "Mitsy" is panting a bit...someone call the vet!

:D Mitzy!
  • Options
    kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member
    I wonder about dogs in this country, in countries with extreme heat e.g Jamaica and India dogs are left out in the heat all day, fed scraps and never taken to the vets and seem to thrive. In fact it's a regular occurrence to see dogs on the beach, on burning sand in these countries.

I'm not saying its right but it just strikes me as odd the difference between the 2.
  • Options
    FortyTwo25FortyTwo25 Posts: 5,170
    Forum Member
    it just annoys me. I was sat outside Starbucks and the couple at the next table had two golden retrievers. They'd chosed a table in full sun when they could at least gone for one in the shade.

Dogs can die from heat exhaustion within minutes. They're not always sensible enough to sit in the shade. Mine kept going into the garden this afternoon and laying out in the sun then coming back in panting so I had to shut him in to stop him. He's a boxer so more susceptible to heat than some other breeds due to his face shape. I walked him at 7am and 7pm and he was sat in the river both times.

Did you wash the dog afterwards?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I would also recommend the water fountain like this http://www.petsathome.com/wcsstore/ConsumerDirectStorefrontAssetStore/images/products/extralarge/68708.jpg

It not only keeps the water cool but fresher and filtered (I use bottled water anyway)
  • Options
    BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    I would also recommend the water fountain like this http://www.petsathome.com/wcsstore/ConsumerDirectStorefrontAssetStore/images/products/extralarge/68708.jpg

It not only keeps the water cool but fresher and filtered (I use bottled water anyway)

So more materialistic shite? That is the kind of tat bought by people treating their dogs like babies.

I had my Dalmatian 10 years ago and he was COMPLETELY FINE and HAPPY with a simple bed, kennel and water and food bowl. Nor did he keel over at the slightest bit of heat like some goldfish. Because, funny enough, dogs, being complex mammals, are capable of withstanding the same conditions we are.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    . Because, funny enough, dogs, being complex mammals, are capable of withstanding the same conditions we are.

And do we like drinking warm stale water I wouldn't give my dog any less than I expect to have myself
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So more materialistic shite? That is the kind of tat bought by people treating their dogs like babies.

I had my Dalmatian 10 years ago and he was COMPLETELY FINE and HAPPY with a simple bed, kennel and water and food bowl. Nor did he keel over at the slightest bit of heat like some goldfish. Because, funny enough, dogs, being complex mammals, are capable of withstanding the same conditions we are.

Absolutely right. Our dogs at home (border collie, welsh sheepdog, and a bit-of-everything dog) were tough as old boots. Never had dog food, just scraps and leftovers, and worked hard every day. The idea of giving a dog bottled water... well for goodness sake!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And do we like drinking warm stale water I wouldn't give my dog any less than I expect to have myself

Oh dear. Is this like those cat people who only feed their cat fillet of salmon and goats milk.