Magic's Playlist

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 264
Forum Member
It's a long, long time since I last listened to Magic (local manifestation here: Magic 1170 Teesside)... must be about 5 years or so ago. I'll be honest, I'm not a fan of quasi-national commercial radio networks and I hate restrictive boring playlists containing the same two Stevie Wonder tracks.

However, I stumbled across Ray Rose one Friday night a while back while in the car with the wife and was amazed at the cosmically inflated playlist. I've been listening to Magic for a month or so now and I've got to say I'm impressed with the playlist and the fact that they are now extolling the virtues of "personality presenters". Tony Blackburn kept going on about it and the playlist this afternoon with swipes at other stations with their "better mixes of music". I had to agree with him! Nick Wright has mentioned it too.

I can live with listening to commercial radio with local presentation stripped out (I don't agree with it, but at least they've kept some local news) but I cannot stomach restrictive playlists. However, credit where credit's due... Magic do seem to be cottoning on to the fact that many listeners do enjoy a broad temporal range of music (they now include 80s and 90s) and want to stay with a station all day rather than flitting off somewhere else when they get sick of the 60s and get itchy fingers,

I've got to say, I am enjoying listening and congratulate Baue r on loosening the playlist strings.

Has anyone any idea why/when they had a computer database transplant and their music policy changed?:D

Comments

• michael1152michael1152 Posts: 1,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think when you refer to Ray Roses programmes on Magic, which I love, he gets to pick what he plays or a large majority of it. That's why his shows always sound so different to the other ones on Magic, and now I notice they are having more 90's songs and even some modern songs that fit their format, I heard Aerosmith - Don't wanna miss a thing and Celine Dion on Friday night and that new song by Texas.
  • Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    Pie Man wrote: »
    I can live with listening to commercial radio with local presentation stripped out (I don't agree with it, but at least they've kept some local news) but I cannot stomach restrictive playlists.

I'm the same. The music that Capital FM plays is genuinely repulsive. Not the songs themselves, but how OFTEN they get played, and for how LONG they're kept in high rotation. It's just a horrible listening experience.
  • hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eric_Blob wrote: »
    I'm the same. The music that Capital FM plays is genuinely repulsive. Not the songs themselves, but how OFTEN they get played, and for how LONG they're kept in high rotation. It's just a horrible listening experience.
    But Capital is a top 40 station which means a lot of songs at the top of the charts or entering will be heavily played and the young audience do not mind hearing them on high rotation, but in a few weeks the playlist will be completely changed.
    Also in Rajar the average hours per week listened to a station like Capital is 5, which is half compared to a oldies based station, like the northern Magic stations, so where a high rotation works on Capital, it will not on Magic or Gold.

The London Magic seems to be programmed differently to the northern and tends to have overall more new music aimed at an older listeners, unlike the northern stations where this is just on one show, so the rotation seems higher, but the London Magic is doing well for numbers tuning in.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pie Man wrote: »
    Has anyone any idea why/when they had a computer database transplant and their music policy changed?:D
    Seems to be when Place and Passion portfolios started, Magic was put under local rather than national, although London Magic is still on digital TV, and the Northern AM stations seems to be treated as one station.
    But the controllers for Northern or London Magic have more control as to how to programme the stations as what the London or northern listeners want, depending it keeps the advertisers happy.
    Gary Stein, the station and programme director at Bauer-owned Key 103, is leaving the station to take up a new role on Monday 14 January as director of music across Bauer Media radio stations.
    -
    Bauer’s portfolio of Northern and Scottish Place radio stations will now come under his remit but Kiss and Magic in London will continue to be managed by Christian Smith and Sheena Mason, respectively the heads of music for Kiss and Magic.

He will also be working closely with Ric Blaxill who oversees music and content across the various platforms that Bauer employs for distribution with Stein now specifically overseeing the playlists of the 16 northern English and Scottish radio stations and liaising with the local station teams

- See more at: http://www.prolificnorth.co.uk/2013/01/gary-stein-takes-on-new-role-as-director-of-music-at-bauer-media/#sthash.97BkCNQj.dpuf
    But there is a possibility if Global get permission to keep and merge Smooth and Gold into a new national station targeting over 35s and does well making potential gains on Magic, Bauer could decide to change the Magic and Scottish AM stations into a single national 'passion' station with a new playlist to challenge it, but at the moment seems unlikely.
  • FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,824
    Forum Member
    I heard Tony on Magic yesterday and I heard his swipe at Gold for playing such a narrow playlist and not playing slow songs.

Magic's playlist is far broader, I really don't know why Gold seem to stick with the same tight rotation of about 400 songs. Hardly a gold station at all really when you consider they've got 30+ years worth of songs they could play.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FM Lover wrote: »
    II really don't know why Gold seem to stick with the same tight rotation of about 400 songs.
    The Gold figure is a bit higher at 1,107 compared to Magic AM's 2,165
    http://comparemyradio.com/compare/Magic_1152/Gold

London Magic is 758!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you listen to Keith Martin on stepping out Saturday night he seems to play a lot of different tracks on a weekly basis plus it seems he has plenty of input in what he plays! I also just like to say how good Nick Wright is between 10-2pm always enjoy listening in.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 264
    Forum Member
    FM Lover wrote: »
    I heard Tony on Magic yesterday and I heard his swipe at Gold for playing such a narrow playlist and not playing slow songs..

I heard that also but I wasn't sure which station he was referring to! I must admit I am enjoying listening to his show and it's bringing back great memories of listening to Radio 1 in the mid 70s. I do think that this is a good and admirable attempt to bring, as Tony said, "personality led radio" back to the commercial sector.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 264
    Forum Member
    chris983 wrote: »
    If you listen to Keith Martin on stepping out Saturday night he seems to play a lot of different tracks on a weekly basis plus it seems he has plenty of input in what he plays! I also just like to say how good Nick Wright is between 10-2pm always enjoy listening in.

To me they both sound excellent and once again I really enjoy the broad choice of music that they play. That doubled playlist size of Magic must be what makes the difference, although I've never listened to Gold as I only listen to DAB in the house and Magic on AM in the car:D
  • mbanbrookmbanbrook Posts: 276
    Forum Member
    Bauer seem to have taken the Magic stations off CompareMyRadio.com?
  • Casey B SeeCasey B See Posts: 190
    Forum Member
    I do like Magic. I agree that a wider playlist is a good thing, but I'd prefer it if they dropped the 90s , personally. As for Tony Blackburn moaning about small playlists, could someone please remind him of that station that he used to work for, which went by the name of Classic Gold?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think we are hearing less of the 60s on magic 1548 and the odd 90s track is nice to hear. I also enjoy the 90s golden years they have done recently
  • richie wildrichie wild Posts: 9,893
    Forum Member
    I think we are hearing less of the 60s on magic 1548 and the odd 90s track is nice to hear. I also enjoy the 90s golden years they have done recently

Hopefully they won't add too much 90's as I think the Brit Pop era was dreadful, ugly, ugly music!

Yesterday they played The Stereophonics, hope that's a one off or I might as well switch to Nation :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nation is truly awful
    Forum Member
    Nation is truly awful

South Wales' abhorrent music mix :D
  • mjdj1689mjdj1689 Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nattion is good when you listen for a while, but their playlist is so limited , i think its worst than Hearts . Its so small , how many times do they play Soft Cell Tainted Love . Its playing Avicii - wake me up on a rock station ????

Magics playlist is excellent , i did hear oasis on there too . But i dont mind , also haddaway what is love . I like it and on dab their bit rate is 128k over nations 112k . And nation always seems to be off dab at the weekend too.
    Forum Member
    In some respects Nation comes across like a Pirate on the North Wales mux. Like they squat on it, as one day they're there, next they're gone,

Non Stop Nation isn't bad, as it's mostly oldies, then the fun ends and the abhorrent music mix starts. Florence and the Machine in abundance.... pass me a knife!
  • mine's a pintmine's a pint Posts: 784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Sounds like Magic AM seems to it sussed with a wide playlist inclusive of 90'S music .

Will Magic AM be on DAB in London anytime soon ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mjdj1689 wrote: »
    Nattion is good when you listen for a while, but their playlist is so limited , i think its worst than Hearts . Its so small , how many times do they play Soft Cell Tainted Love . Its playing Avicii - wake me up on a rock station ????

Magics playlist is excellent , i did hear oasis on there too . But i dont mind , also haddaway what is love . I like it and on dab their bit rate is 128k over nations 112k . And nation always seems to be off dab at the weekend too.

If Haddaway had been played, it was either by mistake or someone playing silly buggers, as it would not be scheduled. It's not quite Magic, whereas some Oasis songs do fit
  • RidgiemanRidgieman Posts: 1,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Will Magic AM be on DAB in London anytime soon ?

It would be good if Magic AM was to appear on London DAB
  • mjdj1689mjdj1689 Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EMT948 wrote: »
    If Haddaway had been played, it was either by mistake or someone playing silly buggers, as it would not be scheduled. It's not quite Magic, whereas some Oasis songs do fit

It was on the afternoon show when they do the countdown of a certain year . I thought it seemed out of place
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mjdj1689 wrote: »
    It was on the afternoon show when they do the countdown of a certain year . I thought it seemed out of place

ah the rewind top 20...that would explain it. 1993, a bold move :-)
    Forum Member
    EMT948 wrote: »
    If Haddaway... It's not quite Magic, whereas some Oasis songs do fit

No they don't as sh*t, shouty, songs don't fit at all on Magic 1548. Haddaway is no more out of place on a Retro countdown than Donna Summer's PWL classics.

Shame on you, Dave Campbell, for your missing Brotherhood Of Man out on Friday, shocking behaviour!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No they don't as sh*t, shouty, songs don't fit at all on Magic 1548. Haddaway is no more out of place on a Retro countdown than Donna Summer's PWL classics.

Shame on you, Dave Campbell, for your missing Brotherhood Of Man out on Friday, shocking behaviour!

shouty? what an odd description?..so are Slade songs gentle ballads? ;-)

as for Brotherhood of Man, shit would be apt;-)
  • AmaraAmara Posts: 5,376
    Forum Member
    Sounds like Magic AM seems to it sussed with a wide playlist inclusive of 90'S music .

Will Magic AM be on DAB in London anytime soon ?[/

Personally I wish Magic AM would drop the 90's it alienates older listener.