Options

The worst supposedly funny characters

grazemytvaddictgrazemytvaddict Posts: 4,954
Forum Member
✭✭✭
What characters do you think they try too hard to make funny or just aren't funny.
Tracy in CS isn't a funny character but they try to give her one liners which are absolutely awful.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David wicks
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fatboy
  • Options
    J-BJ-B Posts: 18,615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kim fox. I loathe her. Bringing her back is a massive step backwards. Eastenders humour is better when it's in context. Opening a funeral parlour is funny, Kim 'hilariously' getting out of working then saying 'Janice' isn't.
  • Options
    cas1977cas1977 Posts: 6,399
    Forum Member
    Steve Macdonald
  • Options
    SegaGamerSegaGamer Posts: 29,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't seen more than a second of Coronation street in months now but every time i turned over to it someone was trying to be funny, they fail every time.
  • Options
    GlendarrochGlendarroch Posts: 20,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mary in Coronation St
    Malon and Paddy as a duo in Emmerdale
    fRom my EE viewing days, Denise's sister
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alfie moon
  • Options
    stellersstellers Posts: 916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EE Fatboy.
    EE - Kim.
    ED - Marlon and Paddy.:(:blush:
  • Options
    hetty100hetty100 Posts: 4,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EE
    Fatboy
    Kim
    Alfie

HO
    Dennis
  • Options
    onemorearrowonemorearrow Posts: 179
    Forum Member
    Mary in Coronation St
    Malon and Paddy as a duo in Emmerdale
    fRom my EE viewing days, Denise's sister

Seconded for Mary. Also in Corrie:

Julie,

Deirdre (I like Deirdre, and think she's woefully underused, and in recent years the conversion of her into a comic character - with her bad pottery etc. has been forced. At the end of the day, she's never going to grown into Maggie's shoes),

Norris (the busybody thing is wearing very thin now - his best scenes in AGES were him being sympathetic to Rita after Dennis' departure. Another underused actor who has been shoehorned into a corner that he'd be better off out of. More real drama for Norris please)

Kirk

Sean

Chracters that I find funny:

Steve McDonald, Eileen, Tim, Beth (though the latter paradoxically moreso since she's become a more rounded character)
  • Options
    mo mousemo mouse Posts: 38,764
    Forum Member
    Paddy and Marlon. I enjoy sticking pins in my eyes more than listening to that pair.
  • Options
    Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gail in Corrie. You can tell when she's got a 'comic' scene or line as her face makes a weird sort of look where she is trying to ham it up as much as possible and it just comes across as over acting. Her voice changes pitch as well.
  • Options
    owl61ukowl61uk Posts: 3,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another vote for Steve MacDonald. Not funny just the village idiot
  • Options
    callumfreemancallumfreeman Posts: 12,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mary Taylor: especially when she has those stupid random 'comedic' moments. Like when she was in a church and suddenly ate an apple, and cut to somebody's 'shocked' expressions. Oh hilarious, not, just embarrassing. They need to give her something more dramatic, like when she was being bullied by Grace and Faye and opened up to Owen about her abused past. But then, that just gets overshadowed by more nonsense.

Gail McIntyre: they don't do it much now, but I remember when she acted like a buffoon in the Bistro, smiling and making idiotic expressions to customers. More creepy and uncomfortable than funny. But then out of nowhere she is suddenly grumpy or serious. I wonder if the writers want to make her a laughing stock all the time.

Julie is annoying as well and never shuts up. Especially that fundraiser thing for Hayley, keeps coming up with stupid ideas despite being told it was taking it too far.
  • Options
    IWasBoredIWasBored Posts: 3,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corrie's Kirk, Sean & Julie

HO- Maxine

EE Kym,

ED - Benice
  • Options
    doctorwhofancaldoctorwhofancal Posts: 24,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beth in Corrie

Nicola and Bernice in Emmerdale
  • Options
    trevon1trevon1 Posts: 6,530
    Forum Member
    Alfie from EE by a mile for me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    Gail in Corrie. You can tell when she's got a 'comic' scene or line as her face makes a weird sort of look where she is trying to ham it up as much as possible and it just comes across as over acting. Her voice changes pitch as well.

i absolutely loathe her :D
  • Options
    walford-e20walford-e20 Posts: 6,554
    Forum Member
    EE Alfie. I find Kim funny. :blush:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Marlon Dingle
    Paddy Kirk
    Sean Tully
    Kirk Sutherland
    Beth Tinker
    Julie Carp
    Kim Fox
    Fatboy
  • Options
    Tom-Bennett.Tom-Bennett. Posts: 2,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EE:
    Alfie Moon
    Kim Fox - Both just annoying

CS:
    Steve Mcdonald - Can be funny, but abit too much sometimes. Reminding me more of Chandler Bing
    Gail Mcintyre - Turned her into abit of a comedy character which has failed

ED:
    Kerry and Dan - >:(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dierdre Barlow-Never really took her as a serious character anyway, but she used to be funny
    There's nothing wrong with Steve's humour, I actually find him hilarious!
    Mary and Julie are funny in small doses. Julie is starting to annoy me - just axe her!
  • Options
    SecretLifeoBeesSecretLifeoBees Posts: 50,923
    Forum Member
    Eastenders
    - Kim Fox. I liked her initially, but there's only so many times calling Janine "Janice" and drunken antics can be funny.

Coronation Street
    - Sean Tully. Why he is even still in the show is beyond me

- Julie Carp More like Julie Crap! Never found her in the least bit amusing.

- Simon Barlow in smart arse mode. I'm sure we are meant to think he is hilarious with his comebacks to the adults, but he comes across as just being an obnoxious brat.

- Michelle and her constant abuse and belittling of Steve. When will writers get it into their heads it is not funny just because it is Steve as the target. It is horrible to watch.

Emmerdale
    - Val Pollard. Sorry, but I've never taken to her and just find her irritating and over the top.

- Marlon the moron. Just urrrrgh!

Doctors
    - Karen Hollins. Horrible over the top character.
  • Options
    ReservedReserved Posts: 12,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Steve McDonald really annoys me when he tries to be "funny" - which is most of the time.

Marlon Dingle
    David Metcalfe
    Paddy Kirk
    Dan Spencer

All four of 'em sicken me! I tend to really despise male characters who are supposedly written for as "lovable and funny" but also don't have a backbone i.e. all of the above. It pisses me off as they're anything but lovable and funny >:(

Then there's those who are just flat out pathetic, such as Fat Boy and Dennis Savage. Such a waste of air time. I don't understand the appeal of such characters.
  • Options
    danyelldanyell Posts: 10,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Marlon, Paddy and David from Emmerdale. All rubbish at comedy and just very unfunny. More irratating than anything.