Civilization: Beyond Earth

Comments

• Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sid Meier’s Civilization®: Beyond Earth™ is a new science-fiction-themed entry into the award-winning Civilization series. As part of an expedition sent to find a home beyond Earth, lead your people into a new frontier, explore and colonize an alien planet and create a new civilization in space. A New Beginning for Mankind is coming Fall/Autumn 2014.

Just replaced Hotline Miami 2 as my most wanted game this year :D

5 pages of info
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow.

What an interesting way to move the series on. Didn't see it coming, although I guess it makes sense since. Not too sure what I make out of it... The images don't grab me and I'm not sure if it is my style (ie, what appeals to me graphically/story wise)... but hey! It's Civ so I'll probably pick it up.
  • silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Transcendence victory FTW!! :cool:

I just hope it's not just Civ V with a different skin ;):(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    silentNate wrote: »
    Transcendence victory FTW!! :cool:

I just hope it's not just Civ V with a different skin ;):(
    Civ V has enjoyed a huge success. There are lots of parts of that game that people really like, and we're building on the Civ V technology, so we took a lot of influences from that as well. If you're a Civ V player, you'll feel right at home.

Ooops ;)
  • silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ooops ;)

Loved Civ IV and really enjoyed both Warlords and Beyond The Sword... my wife was a modder and the stuff they put out was amazing!! :cool:

Civ V came out and I was so... full of disappoint! :(:cry:

Watered down console version of an awesome PC game.

The only good thing about Civ V was that it introduced me to Steam :blush:

I'm feeling love for Civ: Beyond Earth but I might hold off to see how it plays ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LOL was there even a console version of CivV?! First ever consolized PC game that they didn't bother to release on console :D

The trailer for the game reminds me a lot of the teaser trailer for Interstellar for some reason.
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    Looking forward to this. Been looking for another sci fi version of civ since Alpha Centauri stopped working on my latter PCs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Less than a week to go! So hyped for this!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    /ninjabump! Only one of my Steam friends has prepurchased and he's not from DS :( No one else planning on playing?!
  • boxxboxx Posts: 5,335
    Forum Member
    It can't release soon enough!
    Forum Member
    Sorry for double post and prob common knowledge but Civ:BE £22.49 on GMG through this link.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boxx wrote: »
    It can't release soon enough!

Add me: Coggit :D!

IGN review:
    http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/10/23/civilization-beyond-earth-review?utm_campaign=ign+main+twitter&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

Lacking personality was what I was worried about. It does seem very clinical and loses the charm that Civ V has.
    Forum Member
    Added :) (buzz)
    Going to VPN unlock this as soon as it's available in zone 1 (2 1/2 hr ish) damn work gets in the way bigtime this weekend! Going for a contact victory first and gonna get me some alien allies. Stoked - tick - tock - tick...

Having read some of the Neogaf review thread it seems the main complaints are lack of personallity (that's fine. I found Civ 5 bland after 4 but the personalities came through in how they went about playing the game Warmongering/land grabbing/ass kissing/Ghandi and his Nukes etc..) similarity to CIv (well addressed in the PCGamer review about changing the way you think even though your brain is telling you to 'play Civ 5') and (especially in the IGN review) how the aliens behave. From what I've seen on the Let's Plays, the aliens are a lot more fleshed out than the barbarians, so maybe this comes from time with the game (I bounced off 5 a number of times before it clicked)
    I think if you hated 1upt and hexes in Civ 5 it's still going to grate now, but if like me, you want more Civ and just got a bit jaded with the setting (and love sci-fi) then all the under the hood stuff and new systems is the vast, rich, icing on the cake. Ugh, waiting.

ETA: Dat soundtrack oO
  • Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope to get some time on this w/e. But if it turns out anything like Civ 5. I'm still on my first play about year 1,000. Not had it on since last year.
    Forum Member
    We're in!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Error Message 15 :(

edit: now Error Code 53 >:(>:(>:(
    Forum Member
    Anti-virus?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So... this ain't working for me. Finding it cold and clinical. Completely loses the charm of Civ V and just has no personality at all. I honestly don't care about my Civ and each turn feels like a chore.

Have they also slowed down how fast the game progresses?
  • mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    still getting a steam error code saying the game content is still encrypted , thought it unlocked at midnight
    Forum Member
    Loving the game so far. Demo is up for anyone unsure.
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/65980/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the AI broken? Just had the oddest occurrence around turn 200. Now, I'm playing the 2nd lowest difficulty atm (in this game, that's "normal").

So, Brazilia (or w/e it's called) settles RIGHT near me. 2 turns later, the leader tells me off for settling near him (I didn't even buy a tile!). About 20 turns later, he declares war on me because his "people need more space". Now, literally I have had little to no contact with the leaders other than the Pan Asian Co-Op, who live in the other corner of the map (literally), and we've done some trading. Then about 20 turns into this really odd war, Australia denounces me for "lying" and a couple of turns later declare war on me for being a warmonger. Then Africa declares war on me. And then the Pan-Asian co-op denounce me!

It was very odd... especially considering the difficulty level :s
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    brb wrote: »
    Is the AI broken? Just had the oddest occurrence around turn 200. Now, I'm playing the 2nd lowest difficulty atm (in this game, that's "normal").

So, Brazilia (or w/e it's called) settles RIGHT near me. 2 turns later, the leader tells me off for settling near him (I didn't even buy a tile!). About 20 turns later, he declares war on me because his "people need more space". Now, literally I have had little to no contact with the leaders other than the Pan Asian Co-Op, who live in the other corner of the map (literally), and we've done some trading. Then about 20 turns into this really odd war, Australia denounces me for "lying" and a couple of turns later declare war on me for being a warmonger. Then Africa declares war on me. And then the Pan-Asian co-op denounce me!

It was very odd... especially considering the difficulty level :s

My brother had an issue like that with his new neighbour once. He was a right plonker to my brother, but a real charmer to everyone else. So it appears to be a realistic portrayal of my brother's live, only set in the future on another planet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Currently on a free weekend so i'm trying it out. I don't think it's a terrible game, it's just alittle bland. I'm not really a fan of the generic characters, quotes or voice acting. Not having historical characters really hurts it,. The tech web looks good though. With future content it could be a great game. I also like that they have optimized the engine more, it runs pretty well on my PC whereas on CIV5 I had to tone things down.