Options

The Agnosticism Appreciation Thread.

spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I just dont know about this one. if u cant decide then is that an "ism" ?

if there isnt enough evidence, is that a "belief" ?

Comments

• Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a militant agnostic- I fail to see why all the fun of extremism and militancy should be the sole preserve of those with a firm belief one way or the other.

A pox on both their houses.

Agnosticism is the only polite way of approaching the question of whether something you'd be incapable of understanding exists or not. It's the height of arrogance to claim that not only CAN you know the answer to that question, but that you DO know the answer to that question.

Agnosticism FTW!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to think I was agnostic but now I don't know what to believe.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i like martin gardner calling himself an agnostic deist.

another thing. hairstyles arent important. since they dont represent anything so dont matter. be bearded or bald, whatever.

ok so t h huxley had huge sideburns. but they were decorative not religious.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't even know what it means.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    its my god and ill pray if i want to ..... pray if i want to ......

being agnosics we dont know. we dont mind if u do. or if u dont.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agnostics have it good.

God is like having a pizza delivered.
  • Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    I'm a militant agnostic- I fail to see why all the fun of extremism and militancy should be the sole preserve of those with a firm belief one way or the other.

Agnosticism is the only polite way of approaching the question of whether something you'd be incapable of understanding exists or not. It's the height of arrogance to claim that not only CAN you know the answer to that question, but that you DO know the answer to that question.

Agnosticism FTW!

I LAUD the militant agnostic.

If you don't feel the faith, then you cannot personally KNOW, and the universe and everything is just too bloody impossibly impossible to really know much either.

I have the utmost respect for agnostics, they can not be accused of delusion, or of literality.

Long live them all.
  • Options
    ZeusZeus Posts: 10,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't even know what it means.

Basically it means you have an open mind with regard to religion. It's a bit like betting on both red and black in Roulette.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Zeus wrote: »
    Basically it means you have an open mind with regard to religion. It's a bit like betting on both red and black in Roulette.

Thank you. :) I tried to read up about it, but it was so confusing.
  • Options
    MrQuikeMrQuike Posts: 18,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Agnosticism FTW!

Great post. Never let it be said that Agnostics are apathetic wasters that just sit on the fence. I'll confess I had a brief flirtation with the atheists but your fine words and use of capital letters appeal to both my heart and my mind.

Agnosticism FTW!
  • Options
    adopteradopter Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Agnosticism FTW!

I have no idea whether a god/gods exist or not but I'm still an atheist.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .... the word was coined by t h huxley. as the opposite of gnosticism, which implies direct certain (maybe also secret, arcane, limited to cult initiates) knowledge of god. christianity and most other religions requiring "faith" (assent based on limited evidence).

theres a wikipedia article. also complete t h huxley writings downloadable from project gutenberg. including the essay in which he invents agnosticism.

i agree that its a valid position. and not disguised atheism for spineless wimps as idiots like dawkins claim. especially so for anyone who understands kant's philosphical analysis of all claims to metaphysical transcendent knowledge ......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .... the t h huxley essay defining agnosticism is probably online several places html web format. use a search engine .....
  • Options
    CasualCasual Posts: 2,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I go with Dawkins on agnosticism. Essentially he says there are two types of agnosticism:

1) temporary agnosticism in practice (TAP) - based on the idea that there is a definite answer one way or the other, but we so far lack the evidence to reach it

2) permanent agnosticism in principle (PAP) - something is inherently unknowable and therefore the idea of evidence is meaningless

The question of whether or not god exists is a scientific one, and therefore TAP is the only legitimate agnosticism to adopt in relation to it. However, arguments as to the existence or non existence of god do not share equal weight. The balance of probability has to be considered, and on the available evidence one has to concede the probability of god's existence is infinitesimally small. The only reasonable position to adopt is one based on the assumption that god doesn't exist, whilst recognising that you don't know with 100% certainty, just like you don't know with 100% certainty that an incorporeal omnipotent gorilla called Bob isn't currently residing in an invisible condo on a large rock somewhere off Betelgeuse.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Agnosticism FTW!
    :) Absolutely. I describe myself as a 'hard agnostic'. That means that I have done a lot of spiritual and religious reading (and indeed, go to church every week) and am confident that I am not going to change my agnosticism now, not even at the point of death.
    Casual wrote: »
    I go with Dawkins on agnosticism. Essentially he says there are two types of agnosticism:

1) temporary agnosticism in practice (TAP) - based on the idea that there is a definite answer one way or the other, but we so far lack the evidence to reach it

2) permanent agnosticism in principle (PAP) - something is inherently unknowable and therefore the idea of evidence is meaningless

The question of whether or not god exists is a scientific one,
    ....which seems to make this argument fall at the first hurdle. No it's not; there are plenty of concepts of God that are 100% outside science. Indeed, you could define spirituality in just that way: it is a matter of considering extra-scientific questions, the 'why' questions rather than the 'how' ones.
    . The balance of probability has to be considered, and on the available evidence one has to concede the probability of god's existence is infinitesimally small.

Now you see what a pickle you have got into. What 'evidence' are you suggesting? That God turns up half way through dinner and turns your drinking water into wine?
    The only reasonable position to adopt is one based on the assumption that god doesn't exist, whilst recognising that you don't know with 100% certainty, just like you don't know with 100% certainty that an incorporeal omnipotent gorilla called Bob isn't currently residing in an invisible condo on a large rock somewhere off Betelgeuse.

But you've just made Bob up. Some concept of God seems hard-wired into the human psyche. Of course there are exceptions, but just look at how many people think they have jettisoned 'religion' then blether on about far sillier things like 'karma' (which they never understand) or things being 'meant' everything having a 'purpose', or other superstitions. As a PAP-ist (and spurning your PAP-smear) I am happy to accept that no one in this life experiences 'karma', that things are not 'meant' and that most things have no 'purpose'; but also that science only considers science, as most scientists through the ages have happily conceded.
  • Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    Does an element of doubt never enter the minds of you agnostics?
  • Options
    MrQuikeMrQuike Posts: 18,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There appear to be many categories of agnosticism. I might for example consider myself a spiritual agnostic while others strong, weak, theist or atheistic agnostic. Or we could just use the word in it's popular sense.
  • Options
    KarlSomethingKarlSomething Posts: 3,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can be agnostic about a lot of things, but you're never just an agnostic. When most people talk about being agnostic, they're being agnostic about gods. And in that regard they can be either agnostic theist or agnostic atheist.

And you could be agnostic about gods in general, but gnostic about specific gods.
  • Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member

But you've just made Bob up. Some concept of God seems hard-wired into the human psyche. Of course there are exceptions, but just look at how many people think they have jettisoned 'religion' then blether on about far sillier things like 'karma' (which they never understand) or things being 'meant' everything having a 'purpose', or other superstitions. As a PAP-ist (and spurning your PAP-smear) I am happy to accept that no one in this life experiences 'karma', that things are not 'meant' and that most things have no 'purpose'; but also that science only considers science, as most scientists through the ages have happily conceded.

But that just proves that humans are more likey to make up Gods than Gorillas called Bob.
    Hardly surprising as concepts of God/s serve (or served) numerous emotional and even utilitarian purposes. Whereas Bob is pretty useless apart from appearing in hypothetical arguments.
  • Options
    Stiffy78Stiffy78 Posts: 26,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Agnosticism FTW!

Except many atheists don't say they 'know' the answer to the question but rather they have no belief in a god because there is no evidence for one.

Not believing in something for which there is zero evidence is what nearly everyone does when we're talking about anything other than god.

An impolite approach? I don't think so. The most sensible approach? Definitely.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stiffy78 wrote: »
    Except many atheists don't say they 'know' the answer to the question but rather they have no belief in a god because there is no evidence for one.

I'm an extremist. Of course my views on atheists are a crass generalisation. It's one of the fun parts.
  • Options
    Stiffy78Stiffy78 Posts: 26,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm an extremist. Of course my views on atheists are a crass generalisation. It's one of the fun parts.

Fair enough :D
  • Options
    CasualCasual Posts: 2,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ....which seems to make this argument fall at the first hurdle. No it's not; there are plenty of concepts of God that are 100% outside science.

Whether something exists or not is always a question for science. It either exists, or it does not. Things get murky in the quantum world, but the basic principle stands. To suggest there are things that fall outside the realm of scientific inquiry is to assume the existence of a realm beyond science. Science may not have all the answers yet, or even be capable of asking all the right questions, but to suggest there is a realm where science cannot ever hope to explore is an intellectual cop-out, and usually played as the get-out-of-jail-free card by people who don't like their beliefs being questioned. I'm not suggesting that you are doing that, merely that others do.
    Now you see what a pickle you have got into. What 'evidence' are you suggesting? That God turns up half way through dinner and turns your drinking water into wine?

I'm not suggesting any. What I'm noting is the lack of it.

A belief in Bob the omnipotent gorilla™ is no more or less reasonable or valid than a belief in any of the established gods. To support the established gods we have books, scrolls and heiroglyphs, written and carved by people. These writings add no more weight to the idea of established gods than my post does to the idea of Bob. They are all equally valid, or invalid, depending on your point of view.
  • Options
    MoonyMoony Posts: 15,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agnosticism is often described as the "I don't know" or "on the fence" position - when in fact, going by the true definition it isn't.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnosticism#Types_of_agnosticism
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,239
    Forum Member

Agnosticism FTW!

Totally agree with this, any other position is just bad manners in my opinion. :D