Options

Woman demands surgeon severs her spine

Comments

• Options
    PrimalIcePrimalIce Posts: 2,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mentally fit? :confused:

What made you think that was the case? The woman certainly has something wrong with her -- even if it's just a severe case of Attention Seekerism.

Who are you talking to?
  • Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IzzyS wrote: »
    because she doesn't want to die, she wants to not feel her legs anymore because they feel alien to her and it causes her a great deal of distress.
    A cheaper alternative would be to kit herself with a special device like Davros from Dr Who c.1980s trundled around in and fill it with ice. Legs go numb plus you can't see them - job done.

http://www.chrisbalcombe.f2s.com/images/davros3.jpg

(Funky headset is optional)
  • Options
    ffawkesffawkes Posts: 4,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IzzyS wrote: »
    There's the worry about Phantom limb pain as well, if they were to get it done. I remember hearing about that as well, people get amputations and end up feeling like the joints/limbs are still there .

An amputee must have phantom limb awareness in order to use an artificial limb
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PrimalIce wrote: »
    Who are you talking to?

Himself I think.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She is mentally ill. Sectioning might be an answer but as she is American I don't know how the system works. I expect Dr Nick from the Simpsons might have a go.
  • Options
    ChickenWingsChickenWings Posts: 2,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was talking to the OP but it seems like I missed out the word "not" when reading... :D I agree, she is not mentally fit!
  • Options
    elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    Her family should have got her help when she was 4 when she first showed signs of this. The Mail article tells you when it all started, when she visited her injured Aunt who was in leg braces after being in a car accident. Personally I think she likes the attention in a warped way.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2366260/Body-Integrity-Identity-Disorder-Chloe-Jennings-White-58-disown-legs.html
  • Options
    lucy777lucy777 Posts: 2,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had trouble keeping that in my mind when I read it a few days ago, I couldn't even read it all. I just wanted to punch her, that's coming from someone who should understand. It's a very odd case, she should get some heavy duty psychiatric treatment before she encounters someone who really would react badly to her.

I feel the same as you. Normally I'm very open minded but as the mum of a 7 year old who is to undergo his 17th surgery next month, 10 of which have been spinal ops, well.. I couldn't read it all either.
  • Options
    AnitaSAnitaS Posts: 4,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The article made me angry towards her at first, then I felt some pity. It must be a horrible way to live, wanting to be paraplegic.

She definitely needs some psychiatric help.

Having a spinal injury isn't the same as pretending to have one. She can get up and walk whenever she wants.

I wonder how she feels when she gets sympathy from people who aren't aware she is able-bodied?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 390
    Forum Member
    WoodenCat wrote: »
    Good grief.........I am gobsmacked.

Snap.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lucy777 wrote: »
    I feel the same as you. Normally I'm very open minded but as the mum of a 7 year old who is to undergo his 17th surgery next month, 10 of which have been spinal ops, well.. I couldn't read it all either.

Not sure what to say. I'll give you some of these :):):) and wish you and your son the best. x
  • Options
    PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    above all, do no harm.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    elliecat wrote: »
    Her family should have got her help when she was 4 when she first showed signs of this. The Mail article tells you when it all started, when she visited her injured Aunt who was in leg braces after being in a car accident. Personally I think she likes the attention in a warped way.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2366260/Body-Integrity-Identity-Disorder-Chloe-Jennings-White-58-disown-legs.html

That's the trouble I had. Is attention seeking to this extreme an illness? I think I read she has been confronted by angry people, but then, as with some troubled children, any attention is seen as good.

There is a poster on here who posts about a similar situation about someone else. I have to fight myself to stay out of the threads and let rip. Then I tell myself, well the person must at least have a psychiatric disorder to make up the physical one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For those who have got a bit angry, bear in mind the wording of the headline to this item is misleading and deliberately biased. It says she 'demands' it, which is sure fire guaranteed to inflame (as in unemployed family 'demanding' five bedroom council house etc).

Fact is she hasn't 'demanded' anything. What we have here is a woman with an unfortunate condition but where the reader sees her as a baddy rather than a victim.
  • Options
    IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ffawkes wrote: »
    For those who have got a bit angry, bear in mind the wording of the headline to this item is misleading and deliberately biased. It says she 'demands' it, which is sure fire guaranteed to inflame (as in unemployed family 'demanding' five bedroom council house etc).

Fact is she hasn't 'demanded' anything. What we have here is a woman with an unfortunate condition but where the reader sees her as a baddy rather than a victim.

I agree.
  • Options
    IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lucy777 wrote: »
    Not sure what to say. I'll give you some of these :):):) and wish you and your son the best. x

I second this - all the best to your son, I hope it goes well :)
  • Options
    nomad2kingnomad2king Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    If she wanted to seek attention and/or claim that she thinks she is something she actually isn't, she could just claim she wants to be a he and have sex change operation. What is the underlying difference? There is thinking you are fat, when you're not. Thinking your hands are dirty, when they are not. Saying you are Jesus, when you're not, All are just obsessions of one sort or another.
  • Options
    sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nomad2king wrote: »
    If she wanted to seek attention and/or claim that she thinks she is something she actually isn't, she could just claim she wants to be a he and have sex change operation. What is the underlying difference? There is thinking you are fat, when you're not. Thinking your hands are dirty, when they are not. Saying you are Jesus, when you're not, All are just obsessions of one sort or another.

She is transgendered, apparently.

http://gendertrender.wordpress.com/2012/02/01/national-geographic-taboo-fake-paraplegic-chloe-jennings-white/
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So where does one draw the line at which so called "delusions" receive re-enforcement and which get treatment?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sodavlac wrote: »

I'm not really interested in the transgender bit but it seems they enjoy the deception.
  • Options
    GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is so sad. Imaging feeling that way about your own body.

Can't they just give her an epidural now and again. I'm not sure about the medical facts around that, but it has roughly the same effect right?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why does she need a surgeon? A bullet at the nape of the neck would achieve the same thing. :p
  • Options
    AnitaSAnitaS Posts: 4,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sodavlac wrote: »
    So she is actually Clive, a Cambridge graduate? :eek:

I'm not sure I believe that article, it sounds like it's written by someone with a grudge against men in general.
  • Options
    swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One would assume it was deemed that she doesn't have the capacity to consent to the treatment.

I suppose in theory she can demand, and she appears to be highly intelligent, but I cannot see her meeting the consent requirements test nor someone else consenting for that procedure on her behalf.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glowbot wrote: »
    This is so sad. Imaging feeling that way about your own body.

Can't they just give her an epidural now and again. I'm not sure about the medical facts around that, but it has roughly the same effect right?

No it doesn't unless there has been some serious mishap.