Woman demands surgeon severs her spine

123457»

Comments

• nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    neelia wrote: »
    We are getting way OT but RP was IMO a brilliant underestimated actor.
    Hobbes1966 wrote: »
    Don't you mean LR?

Either that or he was such a brilliant actor that neelia believed the character was real. :D
  • GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    I don't understand that either. She clearly has a mental disorder but surely she understands (?) that if she was paraplegic she wouldnt be able to do what she loves doing? :confused: Crazy.

We only likes doing that because she wants to have an accident I think?
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Dolls wrote: »
    it's just mind-boggling. At first I was extremely angry with her because she sounds so unsympathetic to people who really don't have working legs, and all the physical pain and all the restrictions to freedom and the cons they can suffer from, which must be truly awful - especially the physical pains - but, I suppose that's not fair of me at all, as she could have this mental illness they mention.

All the people who say she should go to a psychiatrist instead of having the operation, though, there's one problem with that - I have read up on it, and it's supposed to be incurable!

Personally I just wonder if anyone's ever actually talked to her about the realities of being disabled in the way she wants. It sounds like she got this view of it would be wonderful to be unable to walk due to meeting her disabled aunt when she was a little girl. Perhaps that's because she only had a child's limited understanding of what that meant - ie that other people do all the chores for you and admire you - which she got obsessed with, and no one has ever talked to her about what the experience is actually like?

I mean, I have relatives who have serious psychotic mental illnesses with paranoid ideas and no psychiatrist has *ever* talked to them about why their ideas are thought to be false, as they just say there's no point as the illnesses are incurable.

I actually think it could help if the medical profession did talk people through their issues, not like in counselling but in giving information.

Thats a great post Dolls. I was angry with her too and cant wrap my head round it TBH, what she said seems very unsympathetic to genuine disabled people or those who were hurt, reading her story was disturbing :( It sounds like a kick in the teeth for a disabled person who wishes their disabilities would just go away.
    You make a good point that people should talk to her.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    Thats a great post Dolls. I was angry with her too and cant wrap my head round it TBH, what she said seems very unsympathetic to genuine disabled people or those who were hurt, reading her story was disturbing :( It sounds like a kick in the teeth for a disabled person who wishes their disabilities would just go away.
    You make a good point that people should talk to her.

thanks Grimtales.

Maybe the problem has been that whenever she's mentioned it to people, they've got very angry - which is natural - and called her a lot of names, and probably raised their voices and even shouted, and those kind of responses just make people feel defensive and not listen. She could need someone to have a calm and rational conversation with her about it. The doctors probably don't do that, they just probably tell her she's ill.

ps of course I don't think a doctor should paralyse her because I'm not convinced she really understands what that means. She is just in a fantasy land she got stuck in as a child.
  • neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hobbes1966 wrote: »
    Don't you mean LR?
    nanscombe wrote: »
    Either that or he was such a brilliant actor that neelia believed the character was real. :D

:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o
  • neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dolls wrote: »
    it's just mind-boggling. At first I was extremely angry with her because she sounds so unsympathetic to people who really don't have working legs, and all the physical pain and all the restrictions to freedom and the cons they can suffer from, which must be truly awful - especially the physical pains - but, I suppose that's not fair of me at all, as she could have this mental illness they mention.

All the people who say she should go to a psychiatrist instead of having the operation, though, there's one problem with that - I have read up on it, and it's supposed to be incurable!

Personally I just wonder if anyone's ever actually talked to her about the realities of being disabled in the way she wants. It sounds like she got this view of it would be wonderful to be unable to walk due to meeting her disabled aunt when she was a little girl. Perhaps that's because she only had a child's limited understanding of what that meant - ie that other people do all the chores for you and admire you - which she got obsessed with, and no one has ever talked to her about what the experience is actually like?

I mean, I have relatives who have serious psychotic mental illnesses with paranoid ideas and no psychiatrist has *ever* talked to them about why their ideas are thought to be false, as they just say there's no point as the illnesses are incurable.

I actually think it could help if the medical profession did talk people through their issues, not like in counselling but in giving information.
    I tried to find something about someone being cured but I couldn't. That to me is one of the disturbing things. On the other hand it is very rare so no readily available information about cure doesn't mean that it isn't possible.

I wonder too if for some people that it is not so much that they feel that, say, a limb does not belong to them but that they either feel that they do not deserve to be whole or that they feel so inadequate that they think less would be expected of them if they had a visible disability - not looking for sympathy or attention necessarily but just so that they don't disappoint.

I am scrabbling around but I really don't understand.
  • ViridianaViridiana Posts: 8,017
    Forum Member
    I do not understand the outrage. The woman clearly has a mental heath problem.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neelia wrote: »
    I tried to find something about someone being cured but I couldn't. That to me is one of the disturbing things. On the other hand it is very rare so no readily available information about cure doesn't mean that it isn't possible.

I wonder too if for some people that it is not so much that they feel that, say, a limb does not belong to them but that they either feel that they do not deserve to be whole or that they feel so inadequate that they think less would be expected of them if they had a visible disability - not looking for sympathy or attention necessarily but just so that they don't disappoint.

I am scrabbling around but I really don't understand.

yes, I see what you mean with all you typed. With bit in bold - maybe she actually does realise how much it would make her suffer so she feels, due to low self esteem, it would make feel better as she'd feel like she was being punished and that would make her feel less guilty. But the newspaper have omitted to give her, mental distress reasons in order to sensationalise?