Words You Don't Like

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I hate the word Pervasive.
pervasive (comparative more pervasive, superlative most pervasive)

Manifested throughout; pervading, permeating, penetrating or affecting everything.
The medication had a pervasive effect on the patient's health.

Even though i suppose pervasive could apply to something nice, to me i only hear it when its connected to something unpleasant. The word just has a negative feel and sound to it.

Comments

• BunionsBunions Posts: 14,995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hate the word 'moist' :kitty:
  • Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    Liaise.

A word people use only at work to try and make themselves sound businesslike or important.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chav. I had a discussion with a member on here with regards to that word. Their argument was that dick and chav carry the same derogatory connotations. I disagree. The word chav is often used to attack, mock and ridicule people of a certain class which makes it rather tasteless. Even on DS I see people going on about how bad Chavsda is. Pathetic.
  • BunionsBunions Posts: 14,995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I swear I'm having déjà vu?

Probably time I was somewhere else...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bunions wrote: »

:confused:
  • epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll second 'moist', along with 'lashings', as in lashings of ginger beer. Also shortening names to Daz, Caz, Taz, Gazza, tomatoes to 'toms', or potatoes to 'pots'...

My mother-in-law, at the dinner table will say she's had 'suffish', if you offer her more food, and she calls her kids 'presh', which I'm assuming is short for precious.

It's enough to drive me to drink.
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've said this many times before on here but 'panties.'

Urgh, just typing that word makes me shudder.....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    Vile, drivel, imbecile, shocking, literally, spouting, fumed.

Here's all of them in the wild:

'"I was literally shocked at the vile drivel spouting out of that imbecile's mouth", fumed mother-of-two Tracey, 46, of Tunbridge Wells, Kent'.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GeoBa92 wrote: »
    Vile, drivel, imbecile, shocking, literally.

Here's all of them in the wild:

'I was literally shocked at the vile drivel coming out of that imbecile's mouth'.

To be fair, the things that WUMs often come up with couldn't be described any better than drivel :D
  • ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    Selfie
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate they way people sonetimes leave the word 'the' out of certain sentences..... 'baby' instead of 'the baby'. 'prom' instead of 'the prom'.
  • flower 2flower 2 Posts: 13,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'Actually'.....makes my tongue poke out when I say it...not a good look.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate they way people sonetimes leave the word 'the' out of certain sentences..... 'baby' instead of 'the baby'. 'prom' instead of 'the prom'.

Yes! So annoying! "I've got to go, it's baby's bath time" "don't play the TV too loud, baby's sleeping" >:( Several family members do this!

I also hate it when adults turn to other adults and ask "how's mum coping? Hmm? Ok, and how's dad?" - call them by their bloody names will you? >:(
  • riverside 57riverside 57 Posts: 14,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tommy K and Maccy Ds. It just gets on my nerves a bit when I hear these terms!

I also hate the word tits or titties in relation to women's breasts. Just makes me wanna cringe ^_^
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    maurice45 wrote: »
    Chav. I had a discussion with a member on here with regards to that word. Their argument was that dick and chav carry the same derogatory connotations. I disagree. The word chav is often used to attack, mock and ridicule people of a certain class which makes it rather tasteless. Even on DS I see people going on about how bad Chavsda is. Pathetic.
    I was coming onto the thread to say exactly what you've said really, although I would say that it's not just used against people of a certain class but also people who look a certain way, people on benefits, people who talk/dress/speak/act a certain way... heck even some people who just breathe funny :D

I truly hate the word and, worse, the condescension that seeps out of those who use it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    muggins14 wrote: »
    I was coming onto the thread to say exactly what you've said really, although I would say that it's not just used against people of a certain class but also people who look a certain way, people on benefits, people who talk/dress/speak/act a certain way... heck even some people who just breathe funny :D

I truly hate the word and, worse, the condescension that seeps out of those who use it.

BIB: summed it up perfectly. It's a horrible word.
  • archiverarchiver Posts: 13,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bunions wrote: »

It's déjà vu vu for me and I always find I like moist of the words others don't. I don't like the sentiment behind "bless" or the obligatory "duty"...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'Poorly'
  • LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    'gotten' aargh!
  • PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

My mum is the same, she hates hearing people talk about carnival.

I hate the word sket.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'Innit' (is that a word or isn't it?)
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'gotten' aargh!
    I used to feel that way about gotten too, until I found out it's not incorrect at all "British English discontinued the use of " have gotten" as a form of the past participle for "get" over 300 years ago. The British Colonies on the other hand continued to use it". http://www.reference.com/motif/reference/is-gotten-grammatically-correct

It was acceptable speech back in Elizabethan times and probably why the colonies still use it. As with many words of the language that are now out of favour, a lot of different words from older English (Middle English?) are used in different regions still.
  • LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    muggins14 wrote: »
    I used to feel that way about gotten too, until I found out it's not incorrect at all "British English discontinued the use of " have gotten" as a form of the past participle for "get" over 300 years ago. The British Colonies on the other hand continued to use it". http://www.reference.com/motif/reference/is-gotten-grammatically-correct

It was acceptable speech back in Elizabethan times and probably why the colonies still use it. As with many words of the language that are now out of favour, a lot of different words from older English (Middle English?) are used in different regions still.

That might be the case but It just seems all wrong to me, I will never use it.
  • SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    The word copious, esp when used alongside 'amounts of alcohol' in an ironic self-reverential tone to indicate p!ss up in a way that's supposed to imply cleverness or something better than just drinking too much. Awful, just awful; more so when it crops up on Mr Mayo's Confession on the radio every third day.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    No matter what, I am unable to make myself say the word 'fart'. Even typing it is excruciating.