You win the lottery - what would you do about work?

Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I was thinking about this earlier, and was all "I just wouldn't turn up ever again."

But then I thought about the team I manage and wouldn't like to leave them struggling, so I'd probably work my notice out of respect for them. However, I'd enjoy indulging in pointing out some home truths to certain individuals during that period that could potentially get me sacked now.

I wouldn't given a reason for leaving either.

Comments

• SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was thinking about this earlier, and was all "I just wouldn't turn up ever again."

Assuming it's not just 3 numbers I would work my notice or negotiate leaving early.
  • BunionsBunions Posts: 14,995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm self-employed so I might hire in other people to undertake all of my commitments but I wouldn't leave any of my clients in the lurch.

You never know what's around the corner so I wouldn't shit on anyone if I suddenly came into money.
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd probably stay on a couple of days a week if they let me. At they very least I'd work my notice so I could share the excitement with the girls in my office. We are all around the same age and have a giggle together :)
  • kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member
    I would take a year or maybe longer break, travel the world and then come back and do something part time in something I love. A lot of what I would love to do is more about the love of the job than the money, I couldn't do it without enough cash to keep me going. I couldn't stay unemployed, I don't know what I'd do with myself.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would work my full notice of 4 weeks , even if I won 50 million .

The reason being is that the company gave me my life back when they took me on last summer .

So I owe it to them and to myself

Never forget the people that help you when the chips are down :)
  • CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,158
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yeah it cant hurt to work your notice, but I dont think I would tell people till my notice was over.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't go back, no notice no nothing, I'd even go one better and give the other 2 guys I work with enough so they could leave, just to royally shaft my boss
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Turn up in my new maserati and then go on the sick for six months
  • jessmumjessmum Posts: 596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd work my notice just for my colleagues in the office as I wouldn't want to leave them in the lurch.

@S of managers what I thought of them on the last day
  • jessmumjessmum Posts: 596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't go back, no notice no nothing, I'd even go one better and give the other 2 guys I work with enough so they could leave, just to royally shaft my boss

Actually If I won enough this^^^

Just to drop the company in it - just not the 2 others in my team - I'd make sure they had enough to leave too :D
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's something really annoying about people who say 'winning the lottery wouldn't change them'..... Really? Give it to someone else though.

If I won, I'd feel honour bound to work my noticed. Unless they had work experience people in, in which I'd leave that day....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On my last day I'd buy a solid silver hip flask, and I'd spent my last shift slowly getting as drunk as possible without getting caught.....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's something really annoying about people who say 'winning the lottery wouldn't change them'..... Really? Give it to someone else though.

If I won, I'd feel honour bound to work my noticed. Unless they had work experience people in, in which I'd leave that day....
    I've always taken that to mean they wouldn't want it to change them....their beliefs and values etc.

Nobody knows whether it would or it wouldn't until they're in the actual situation though.
  • chaffchaff Posts: 985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The moment my winnings cleared in my account would be the moment I gave up working forever. I would not work my notice, I would not go in one last time to help out or to say goodbye. I would phone HR to tell them I wasn't coming back and that would be it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I worked in a really shit job with a load of bastards I couldn't stand, I probably wouldn't darken their doorstep again either :kitty:
  • chaffchaff Posts: 985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bunions wrote: »
    If I worked in a really shit job with a load of bastards I couldn't stand, I probably wouldn't darken their doorstep again either :kitty:

Neither of those things apply to me, and I still wouldn't go back. What would be the point? I'd much rather get on with my new life.
  • Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    I'd probably keep working to some degree. It's a vocation really and not something I do for money. I'd like to have a bit more spare time for my garden and to do stuff with the kids during the holidays, but apart from that I like being at work.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    As I am currently unemployed I would take great delight in going to the Job Centre, walking through the door and shouting "Can I have your attention please. I've won the lottery, so stick your £72 a week up yer arses" and would then rip up my JSA book and walk out again.:D
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But then I thought about the team I manage and wouldn't like to leave them struggling, so I'd probably work my notice out of respect for them. However, I'd enjoy indulging in pointing out some home truths to certain individuals during that period that could potentially get me sacked now.

I wouldn't given a reason for leaving either.

Pretty much the same as you. I would serve my notice out of consideration for my colleagues. When I was younger, I would just not have gone back.

Oddly enough, I can't think of anybody in particular now, that I've got anything serious against at work.

I'd probably hand my notice in saying I wanted to travel or some other bullshit. Wouldn't say I'd won the lottery.
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Drop my resignation tied around a brick from my new helicopter onto the boss's crap fat company diesel windscreen
  • Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd carry on working. Staying at home would bore me rigid.
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I probably wouldn't say anything leave it a few months and then hand my notice in and just say iI was moving away
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As I am currently unemployed I would take great delight in going to the Job Centre, walking through the door and shouting "Can I have your attention please. I've won the lottery, so stick your £72 a week up yer arses" and would then rip up my JSA book and walk out again.:D
    They'd probably still try to do you on a sanction for the misappropriation of the quid you spent on your Lotto ticket :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd carry on working. Staying at home would bore me rigid.

But you could do anything, go anywhere. If you got bored, just jump on a plane.....
  • howard hhoward h Posts: 23,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you were in your twenties, you would need to win a heck of a lot of money never to work again. Add to that, you need your NI contributions to gain a full pension at 66/67 - and with your winnings you have to take inflation into account, and savings interest rates.

So, what winnings could a 25-yr-old get to safely tell the boss where to go?

Buy a house....500k.
    car.....25k (change it every 5 years at today's prices...400k until you're 65)
    Council tax, bills etc 10k/yr (400k)

So we're already talking a win of £1.3m and you haven't yet bought a meal.
    20k spending x 40 = 800k (and after 40 years 20k will get you virtually nowhere)

So you need to win well over £3m and have good luck in investments - probably £5m would be the first "safest" win...otherwise best not to be too nasty with the boss!!