Couples and joint bank accounts

technology_lovetechnology_love Posts: 3,177
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Do any married couples or partners who have been together for ever have one joint bank account and nothing else?

I know people have different ideas on this topic and I've seen some heated debates but my wife wants to ditch her account and for us to have one joint account.

I'm salaried and am the main bread winner of our family. She works part time, gets paid irregularly and looks after our two young children. Without boring the socks off you I'll just mention I stumped up the deposit on our house and have paid the mortgage from day one. She has paid nill. Its because I respect and appreciate the fact that she looks after our children and works part time that I had no problems adding her name to the mortgage papers. She does her bit, I do mine.

I've also changed my bank account to a joint one so that she can have a debit card to use when needed as gets some benefits like mobile phone insurance, break down cover, etc.

I like to be in control of my finances and given she has a bank card for the same account to use, I don't see the whole fuss about just having the one account that we pay everything in to.

Am I a terrible person for having this opinion? Is it wrong that I prefer to keep my account, let her have use of it and transfer money to her account when needed?

Would be interested to hear what other people do. It seems everyone gets married and then puts everything in one account. That's it.

Comments

• 3Sheets2TheWind3Sheets2TheWind Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She could be planning to leave you and one day you may find the joint account empty and the locks to the house changed.

Keep your money separate.
  • SupercellSupercell Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    We have a joint account that we both pay equal amounts into - all our bills come out of this mortgage, car payments etc.

We keep what ever is left in our own separate accounts and spend as we see fit!

I can see its more difficult in your situation though as you don't put equal amounts into the 'pot' but she looks after your home and children so that kind of balances is it.
  • makavelli132makavelli132 Posts: 1,297
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why did you feel the need to add her to the mortgage? She can still live there without being on it you know.

I'm not saying you will break up one day, but the mess it causes after is crazy.
  • technology_lovetechnology_love Posts: 3,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She could be planning to leave you and one day you may find the joint account empty and the locks to the house changed.

Keep your money separate.

Lol :cool:

She certainly has no plans like that I know what you mean.
    I'm amazed at the ignorance of some people who go blindly in to marriage not thinking that it might not work out. I speak as someone coming from a legal family and have seen "loving couples" tear each other apart for anything they can get when divorce came.

It may sound like I have an agenda.
    I don't!

Things work just fine they way we are doing it but she doesn't seem to agree.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Supercell wrote: »
    We have a joint account that we both pay equal amounts into - all our bills come out of this mortgage, car payments etc.

We keep what ever is left in our own separate accounts and spend as we see fit!

I can see its more difficult in your situation though as you don't put equal amounts into the 'pot' but she looks after your home and children so that kind of balances is it.

Spot on.
    I still pay for other things when she is short, its really no problem.

She is playing the "we are married, everything is one/shared" card.
  • jpcmejpcme Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    We have a joint account for the household bills which I pay into but we both have our own private accounts as well.
    Forum Member
    Lol :cool:

She certainly has no plans like that I know what you mean.
    I'm amazed at the ignorance of some people who go blindly in to marriage not thinking that it might not work out. I speak as someone coming from a legal family and have seen "loving couples" tear each other apart for anything they can get when divorce came.

It may sound like I have an agenda.
    I don't!

Things work just fine they way we are doing it but she doesn't seem to agree.

Why can't she have her own bank account? Does she have no money coming in at all? I am definitely on the side that both of you should have some independence from one another.
  • FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We have our own accounts, a joint savings account and a joint account. Technically also a "joint" business account - as in both have access to it; but that's not the same thing.

Its just convenient when you're together with a family for both of us to have access to the funds that come in.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why did you feel the need to add her to the mortgage? She can still live there without being on it you know.

I'm not saying you will break up one day, but the mess it causes after is crazy.

She wanted to have her name on the papers.
    I did think about it but accepted straight away that her looking after our wonderful kids was a thankless job and she deserved to be on it.

I know the mess you mean if a break up occurred. We have a prenup-with-accruel agreement in place. The namby pambies on DS will go mental at that comment but its a 100% fair divorce package should the worse happen. Sheesh, it sounds like I'm planning something. I'm not. Just being realistic and fair should the worse happen. Long story short, if we divorce, I get my deposit back and everything else we built up together, we share. Enough digressing.

Thank you for the replies, its good to hear other peoples situations and opinions.
    Forum Member
    Spot on.
    I still pay for other things when she is short, its really no problem.

She is playing the "we are married, everything is one/shared" card.

Well she would when she isn't out everyday working hard for that cash! (OK I know bringing up a family is 'work' too...).

Perhaps pay an allowance into a separate account for her - then see what she buys with it!...although she may feel even more kept then. How old are your kids? Will she be back at work soon?
  • What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If she doesn't want a seperate account that doesn't mean that you can't have one. You could have a joint account with her and put some into a separate account so that you feel you have some money set aside for your things.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why can't she have her own bank account? Does she have no money coming in at all? I am definitely on the side that both of you should have some independence from one another.

She has an account in which her part time money is paid in. She is just pushing for one account for us only.

I'm with you on the independence.
    In our case, it makes sense. Others do things differently and I respect that.
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When we were first married we had a joint account, but unfortunately she enjoyed spending money whereas I am more cautious, I left her to deal with all the house hold expenses but when we started getting red letters I found she hadn't paid them and the account was overdrawn, so from that date we had separate accounts and I dealt with all the bills. We then had a happy married life for the next 40 years.
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a joint account, but not my own private account. The wife still has her own account. We did it this way to maximise the interest on the Santander 123 account.

I have no fear of my wife leaving me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well she would when she isn't out everyday working hard for that cash! (OK I know bringing up a family is 'work' too...).

Perhaps pay an allowance into a separate account for her - then see what she buys with it!...although she may feel even more kept then. How old are your kids? Will she be back at work soon?

I gtg to work now, will reply back later when I can.
    Kids are 1 yr and 4 yrs old with the oldest being autistic.

I'll throw in to the pot that I have flexible work arrangements and care for them two mornings a week so that she can go into work. To say that I do my part and more is an understatement but that's enough for now.

Look forward to checking this thread later, apologies if I don't reply for a while!
    I owe, I owe....its off to work I go.........
  • FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a joint account, but not my own private account. The wife still has her own account. We did it this way to maximise the interest on the Santander 123 account.

I have no fear of my wife leaving me.

This, if you're living life and making decisions thinking about when you split up, then that doesn't sound healthy to me.

I'd also add (and I know this won't translate to everyone) that when you're together, with a family and everything that comes with that, you're both normally putting equally into the overall pot; even if its not physical money. So if the worst does happen, pre nup or split it down the middle; that's what me and my OH decided... If the worst should happen we split everything evenly down the middle... Now we get on with our lives and enjoy it.
  • ChapwithwingsChapwithwings Posts: 847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never thought that my wife and I would split up so everything was joint.

We separated about six months ago and decoupling everything has been a huge unwanted pain the backside.

If there is a 'next time' for me then everything stays separate. I wouldn't be planning on anything going wrong but if it does at least that headache wouldn't be there again..

I miss my wife :cry:
  • jazzyjazzyjazzyjazzy Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have joint everything - always have had. I don't have money except for when I go clothes shopping and use a card - he just pays for food shopping, bills etc out of our joint account. Everything went into one account and we both spend it as we like.
    Seems strange to me when we go out with friends and she pays for drinks and he pays for the meal - he puts petrol in the car when he uses it and visa versa. I just sit in the passenger seat or restaurant seat and don't ever think about paying.
    When or if I am ever on my own I know where everything is - just that I can't be bothered about money when I don't have to.
  • 3Sheets2TheWind3Sheets2TheWind Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's not just breaking up that can be messy, the death of someone with property and money is also a hassle.

A joint mortgage is generally easier to sort out regardless of who 'goes first' - I think a joint mortgage in this case is very sensible. Joint bank accounts are more a case of what works for that couple. I wouldn't want a joint bank account, but that's just me.
  • alan29alan29 Posts: 34,633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have two joint accounts. Been married for 35 years, never had separate accounts.
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been together 23 years never had a joint account and never put my husbands name on the mortgage with
  • jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    We don't have a joint account. I pay some things, he pays some. We pool what little is left and spilt it. If we go out together we use the pooled money. Some weeks he has all the pooled money, some weeks I do. Works for us.
  • indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Both had separate accounts for all the 28 years we've been married. Never had a cross word about money either so it works perfectly for us.
  • netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    we've got separate accounts because we've never got around to opening a joint one. It works well enough though, I pay all the bills and mortgage out of my account and we use his account to save. All our money gets pooled together though the lion share is his earnings, it's just classed as ours cos we're a partnership and all that. He leaves the finances to me, I don't think he'd know how to pay a bill. I've got more time so I see to it. I doubt he has any clue how much money we have or how much stuff costs.
  • venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have a joint bank account and a joint credit card. Everything goes into the same pot. It works well for us and I couldn't imagine it being any other way. When I hear my friend say that she pays her husband rent to live in their house, it makes me shudder.

All couples are different though and what works well for one won't for another. I sense that we are the exception to the rule being completely 'joint'.