Nigel Evans is a hypocrite.....

imrightokimrightok Posts: 8,492
Forum Member
How many times do we hear that mps of either party are not in touch with the common man? Well this is a prime example of that.

Since Nigel's huge court fees he's now talking about speaking to Chris Grayling about the cuts in legal aid; despite being a supporter of the cuts before it affected him. However unlike the man on the street ,Evans was able to sell one of his houses in 2010; so that'll help to offset some of his cost.

I have no link yet.

Comments

• Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's a politician
  • jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    Maybe his experience changed his mind - I am grateful he is opposing the cuts now, whatever his motivation.

It isn't hypocritical to change your views - it would be hypocritical if he demanded his costs backs but continued to support the cuts.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's nothing hypocritical about changing your mind when you've been show things from a different POV.

I actually have more respect for people that can admit they got something wrong.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    imrightok wrote: »
    How many times do we hear that mps of either party are not in touch with the common man? Well this is a prime example of that.

Since Nigel's huge court fees he's now talking about speaking to Chris Grayling about the cuts in legal aid; despite being a supporter of the cuts before it affected him. However unlike the man on the street ,Evans was able to sell one of his houses in 2010; so that'll help to offset some of his cost.

I have no link yet.

Having now had direct first hand experience of how lousy the system is, maybe he's reconsidered his earlier position.

I do agree with him that he should have his costs re-imbursed.

I also agree with what he said on the Today Programme this morning, about accusers having total anonymity, whilst the accused's name is bandied about and has his life ruined as a result. .
  • alan29alan29 Posts: 34,633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Changing your mind as a result of experience is a sign of maturity not hypocrisy.
  • cosmic buttplugcosmic buttplug Posts: 873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have not followed this matter closely but it may not be an issue of hypocrisy. The current government’s cuts to legal aid are a separate matter. What NE is banging on about is that having been cleared of all the said charges the CPS should now foot the bill for his defence. It may be the case that the judge, though having acquitted NE of the charges, has not awarded costs as he feels that NE - regardless of being found not guilty - brought these circumstances upon himself so will have to bear the costs as a consequence.

Plausible explanation, m'learned DSers?
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan29 wrote: »
    Changing your mind as a result of experience is a sign of maturity not hypocrisy.

^this^

Shame it took something like this to show him the error of his ways, though.
  • SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    I have not followed this matter closely but it may not be an issue of hypocrisy. The current government’s cuts to legal aid are a separate matter. What NE is banging on about is that having been cleared of all the said charges the CPS should now foot the bill for his defence. It may be the case that the judge, though having acquitted NE of the charges, has not awarded costs as he feels that NE - regardless of being found not guilty - brought these circumstances upon himself so will have to bear the costs as a consequence.

Plausible explanation, m'learned DSers?
    I wonder how many people would be relaxed about effectively being fined £105,000 after a clean sweep of Not Guilty verdicts? You spend your adult life accumulating a bit of wealth to enjoy your latter years (or hey how about your current years too?) and then thanks to the CPS deciding that things like this must be followed through he finds a huge hole in his savings. See also DLT.

FWIW I reckon the state should reimburse his costs to the full.
  • chaffchaff Posts: 985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has Nigel Evans previously vocally supported the cuts to legal aid?
  • 3Sheets2TheWind3Sheets2TheWind Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have no link yet.

And I take it you are right, ok?
  • kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    It may be the case that the judge, though having acquitted NE of the charges, has not awarded costs as he feels that NE - regardless of being found not guilty - brought these circumstances upon himself so will have to bear the costs as a consequence.

How did Evans bring the circumstances of his prosecution on himself then? :confused:
  • SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    kippeh wrote: »
    How did Evans bring the circumstances of his prosecution on himself then? :confused:
    He didn't, but implicit in that response is that he must be guilty of something so he deserves some kind of punishment. I'd hope the rest of us can more easily accept the court's and jury's verdict.
  • culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alan29 wrote: »

Indeed. As the economist John Maynard Keynes put it:

"When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do, sir?"
  • biggle2000biggle2000 Posts: 3,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have no link yet.

Since he was found not guilty I think the CPS should stand his legal fees
  • HoffmisterHoffmister Posts: 12,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He needs to champion someone else so it dissent come across as so self serving.

I got turned down for legal aid a while back and I was the victim on ICB and no way could I afford it..I lucked in ltyas the bod pleaded guu
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    biggle2000 wrote: »

Indeed. They really do seem extraordinarily zealous pursuing these cases in the first place.
  • imrightokimrightok Posts: 8,492
    Forum Member
    chaff wrote: »
    Has Nigel Evans previously vocally supported the cuts to legal aid?

I'm not sure how vocally but when asked today on the radio he said that he did support the cuts; and when asked does he now think he was wrong he said yes.
    biggle2000 wrote: »

That's not the point, the point is that he supported the cuts -and let's face it it would affect those who can least afford to pay rather than the wealthy-until it affected him.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,838
    Forum Member
    SnrDev wrote: »
    I wonder how many people would be relaxed about effectively being fined £105,000 after a clean sweep of Not Guilty verdicts? You spend your adult life accumulating a bit of wealth to enjoy your latter years (or hey how about your current years too?) and then thanks to the CPS deciding that things like this must be followed through he finds a huge hole in his savings. See also DLT.

FWIW I reckon the state should reimburse his costs to the full.

I agree. Wrongly accused and spends all his hard earned money defending himself against lies.
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,566
    Forum Member
    Hoffmister wrote: »
    He needs to champion someone else so it dissent come across as so self serving.

I got turned down for legal aid a while back and I was the victim on ICB and no way could I afford it..I lucked in ltyas the bod pleaded guu

Pardon? :confused:
    Forum Member
    That's not the point, the point is that he supported the cuts -and let's face it it would affect those who can least afford to pay than the wealthier-until it affected him.

An experience which has alerted him to the predicament of many and altered his viewpoint for the better. What's wrong with that?
  • scottlscottl Posts: 1,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was the Thatcher years that seemed to indoctrinate us (who were around then) that to change your mind is weak, and to have a conviction and never waver from it is strong.

but it's not really true - just an image that was portrayed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An experience which has alerted him to the predicament of many and altered his viewpoint for the better. What's wrong with that?

Absolutely. Nobody can ever expect to have full appreciation of a given issue until it affects them personally.

It's unrealistic to expect anything else.

Maybe it's for the best that it's affected a member of parliament as they are best placed to influence a change to crappy laws.
    Forum Member

Does one really have to go through that to know that it is an unfair cut?
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »
    Absolutely. Nobody can ever expect to have full appreciation of a given issue until it affects them personally.

It's unrealistic to expect anything else.

Maybe it's for the best that it's affected a member of parliament as they are best placed to influence a change to crappy laws.

Not true. You just have to listen to the people (usually men) who have given up rights to see their children because they can't afford to take it to court.
    Forum Member
    Does one really have to go through that to know that it is an unfair cut?

Not everyone does, but those whose own experience has awakened them to the plight of others, and thus they move from their original position should be commended, not sneered at. It takes courage and character to admit you were wrong.