Options

Cheryl drops surname

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 143
Forum Member
Cheryl's official merchandise store has dropped the "Cole" from the merchandise.

It'll be interesting to see whether Cole or Tweedy will be used by Cheryl and the media from now on. Several other sources have claimed she will drop her surname completely. Let's face it "Tweedy" isn't all that showbiz, and not using a surname never harmed Britney, Madonna or Kylie! Personally I'd rebrand as plain "Cheryl".

Comments

• Options
    TIvsTIPTIvsTIP Posts: 192
    Forum Member
    She hasn't officially yet. Apparently those were printed by mistake but Cheryl ok'd them before the whole allegations were made known.

She should just keep it and make it her own. Its pointless pretending something didn't happen. Not to mention, she is nowhere near the level of those mentioned.
  • Options
    SickPuppy21SickPuppy21 Posts: 4,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Change it to Biffa. pew pew pew *boxing pose*
  • Options
    guffybearguffybear Posts: 1,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yet another Cheryl thread

should keep the obsessives who can not write enough about her going over the long weekend.

no wonder the media love her, you people just can not get enough, good or bad
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 241
    Forum Member
    Tweedy isn't all that showbiz? Its a surname for goodness sake what difference does it make.
  • Options
    C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tweedy isn't all that showbiz? Its a surname for goodness sake what difference does it make.

It's not just a surname, it's a brand name.

Loads of stars over the years have changed their names to be more showbiz.

If Tina Turner can keep that surname after what happened to her, then I don't see why Cheryl shouldn't keep Cole.
  • Options
    spkxspkx Posts: 14,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Going from the tour "Cheryl" seems to be the way they're taking her, I think she can get away with it in the UK, not so sure about aborad though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    C14E wrote: »

If Tina Turner can keep that surname after what happened to her, then I don't see why Cheryl shouldn't keep Cole.

Well, Tina Tuner is talented and Cheryl Tweedy is not. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    spkx wrote: »
    Going from the tour "Cheryl" seems to be the way they're taking her, I think she can get away with it in the UK, not so sure about aborad though.

True.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 241
    Forum Member
    C14E wrote: »

I see what you mean but surely for Cheryl its a different case seeing as shes already established herself in the showbiz world. I don't think changing her surname would cause any damage. If it was me I certainly wouldn't keep that idiots name.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really hope she keeps Cole to be honest. I mean I understand why she wouldn't want to be associated with him anymore but Cheryl Tweedy doesn't have the same ring to it at all and she is now known as Cheryl Cole. I suppose just Cheryl would be alright for her music career but I can't see them announcing her on the x factor by just her first name.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Change it to Biffa. pew pew pew *boxing pose*

Never nice to see the green eyed monster in people.
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    this is why I never think it's a good idea for celebs to take their partner's surname when they marry. Stick to their maiden name, I say.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 143
    Forum Member
    Lily_2008 wrote: »
    I really hope she keeps Cole to be honest. I mean I understand why she wouldn't want to be associated with him anymore but Cheryl Tweedy doesn't have the same ring to it at all and she is now known as Cheryl Cole. I suppose just Cheryl would be alright for her music career but I can't see them announcing her on the x factor by just her first name.

Yes, that's my only problem with that solution too.
  • Options
    luvandlifeluvandlife Posts: 570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :rolleyes:Like Cheryl is on some Britney or Madonna level where she can go around with just one name....whatever!
  • Options
    hugsiehugsie Posts: 17,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lily_2008 wrote: »

They could get around the introductions by introducing all the judges by their first names only!
  • Options
    SickPuppy21SickPuppy21 Posts: 4,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cyberninja wrote: »

Never nice to see the black eyed victim either.

http://gidinoize.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/sophie-amogbokpa-cheryl-cole-punch.jpg

http://madnews.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/sophie.jpg

Can I have a pound for every time the jealous card is played, I could hopefully set up my own record label then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    luvandlife wrote: »
    :rolleyes:Like Cheryl is on some Britney or Madonna level where she can go around with just one name....whatever!

In the UK she most certainly is, in fact a lot of publications (e.g. Sunday Times Style mag, Sunday Mirror and heat) already do simply use "Cheryl"
  • Options
    lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LOL! She doesn't have single-name recognition!
  • Options
    parthyparthy Posts: 5,408
    Forum Member
    Cyberninja wrote: »

Ah, the hoary old 'jealousy' argument rears its head. :yawn:
  • Options
    Moany LizaMoany Liza Posts: 22,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheryl's official merchandise store has dropped the "Cole" from the merchandise.

It'll be interesting to see whether Cole or Tweedy will be used by Cheryl and the media from now on. Several other sources have claimed she will drop her surname completely. Let's face it "Tweedy" isn't all that showbiz, and not using a surname never harmed Britney, Madonna or Kylie! Personally I'd rebrand as plain "Cheryl".

Britney Spears and Kylie Minogue have both used their surnames professionally and still do as far as I am aware.

Madonna has not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rihanna is perhaps a better example
  • Options
    Mr GigglesMr Giggles Posts: 18,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spkx wrote: »
    Rihanna is perhaps a better example

In what way:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr Giggles wrote: »
    In what way:confused:

In that she doesn't use her surname (at all?) professionally unlike Britney and Kylie.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think she could get away with just 'Cheryl' - she is probably the most famous/only Cheryl in showbiz land and so can make it her own!
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    but rihanna's never used her surname..