Options

Can't Hand In Written Work Anymore, This Is Getting ****ing Stupid.

Red+BloodedRed+Blooded Posts: 4,676
Forum Member
✭✭✭
In My College (QMC) I am no longer aloud to submit work that is written as we HAVE (for some stupid reason, probally to piss us off and make things more difficult) to send our work (home and course) via email top this markbook place.

I haven't got a laptop at the moment so when i worte a esasy (that i spent ages writing) she was like you can only hand it in via mark book. So she wants me to write it out on the PC for no reason, all nearly 5 pages so i can send it to her instead of hand in the written to her.

So I can't do that (doing important things like work and eating) because i haven't got time to re-write a massive peace of writing for the sake of it.

I don't understand why they need to make the college so technical i mean i can write with my hand. They have even bought the poshist photocopier ever which i cana't used because it's to complicated and the teacher is like you got to work it out yourself, so now i can't photocopy. There was nothing wrong with the other one either, i could use that one and so could anyone else.

Ah, i enjoyed getting that of my chest.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,455
    Forum Member
    Scan each page and send it in?
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Going by your rant above I can only say that a WP programme and its spell-check function would be of great benefit to you.
  • Options
    MrsceeMrscee Posts: 5,271
    Forum Member
    my daughter at secondary school (was 13 at the time) was asked to go home and do her homework which was looking for prices of objects and print out a picture and describe the prices..we don't have a printer..they wouldn't accept her cutting out a picture and writing next to it..it makes me mad
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In My College (QMC) I am no longer aloud to submit work that is written as we HAVE (for some stupid reason, probally to piss us off and make things more difficult) to send our work (home and course) via email top this markbook place.

Good attitude. More likely because it's quicker than relying on post,easier to organise on the marker's side and probably cheaper for the college as well..
    I haven't got a laptop at the moment so when i worte a esasy (that i spent ages writing) she was like you can only hand it in via mark book. So she wants me to write it out on the PC for no reason, all nearly 5 pages so i can send it to her instead of hand in the written to her.

Yet you manage to find a computer to post on DS? In the working world, all reports and documents are done on computers, I'm afraid you'd better get used to it.
    So I can't do that (doing important things like work and eating) because i haven't got time to re-write a massive peace of writing for the sake of it.
    Perhaps your time-management needs work? Again, you find time to post on here ;)
    I don't understand why they need to make the college so technical i mean i can write with my hand. They have even bought the poshist photocopier ever which i cana't used because it's to complicated and the teacher is like you got to work it out yourself, so now i can't photocopy. There was nothing wrong with the other one either, i could use that one and so could anyone else.

Some of the photocopiers out there are atrocious. If it's a communal one, stick around and ask someone using it for a bit of guidance, or note down the model number (you can write this by hand if you like) and google up a manual

As you may be able to tell I'm afraid I have little sympathy for you,sorry.
  • Options
    Moany LizaMoany Liza Posts: 22,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Handwritten work is much more difficult to read and mark. Also, if mistakes are made when typing out a lengthy piece of work, they can be instantly corrected but if you make a huge mistake near the bottom of a page of A4 paper, you end up either having to re-write the entire page or else you have to submit it as a correction which looks untidy.

But possibly they also might want to run an electronic version of your work through some anti-plagiarism software to ensure that it is in fact your own work. They can't do that if it's a handwritten submission.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »
    Good attitude. More likely because it's quicker than relying on post,easier to organise on the marker's side and probably cheaper for the college as well..

This...
    Moany Liza wrote: »
    But possibly they also might want to run an electronic version of your work through some anti-plagiarism software to ensure that it is in fact your own work. They can't do that if it's a handwritten submission.

... and this is correct.
  • Options
    SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So she wants me to write it out on the PC for no reason, all nearly 5 pages so i can send it to her instead of hand in the written to her.
    You may well find that your five hand-written pages shrink down to something much smaller when typed out. Unless you're a very slow typist, I don't think that's an enormous amount to type.

In any case, I think that in future you'd find it much easier to word-process your work, since it makes it much easier to correct and change things.
  • Options
    trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scan it and email me it, I'll word process it for you in about half an hour. I type at around 65WPM.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scan it and email me it, I'll word process it for you in about half an hour. I type at around 65WPM.

"but the scanner's too complicated and I don't have time and it's just NOT FAIR"
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,219
    Forum Member
    Moany Liza wrote: »

This. Also, when you are at university or work, you will be expected to word-process essays and documents. It's a good skill and habit to develop.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Lol, just make sure you don't post it on the net anywhere or else it will get picked up by turnitin, and that would be bad :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ber wrote: »
    Going by your rant above I can only say that a WP programme and its spell-check function would be of great benefit to you.

That's exactly what I thought too. I was under the impression that most colleges only accepted typed documents now anyway.
  • Options
    PamelaLPamelaL Posts: 67,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't normally do this but you're at college and I don't want you to fail anything. 'Aloud' should be 'allowed' in this context. Aloud means out loud.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,095
    Forum Member

Ah, i enjoyed getting that of my chest.

I'm also imagining you enjoyed entering the deliberate typos to prompt someone to say 'spell checker'...
  • Options
    SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PamelaL wrote: »
    I wouldn't normally do this but you're at college and I don't want you to fail anything. 'Aloud' should be 'allowed' in this context. Aloud means out loud.
    The bit in the opening post about "so when i worte a esasy" doesn't look quite right to me either, though I can't quite pin down what's wrong with it. I'm sure a spell-checker would sort things out, though. ;)
  • Options
    EBD3000EBD3000 Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's exactly what I thought too. I was under the impression that most colleges only accepted typed documents now anyway.

Its been that way for ages. i had to type up my projects/essays for my A levels in 1998 so i don't know what the OP is complaining about.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Unfortunately even a spellcheck won't pick up everything.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EBD3000 wrote: »
    Its been that way for ages. i had to type up my projects/essays for my A levels in 1998 so i don't know what the OP is complaining about.

i confused the hell out of my teachers by word-processing my work at school. It was 1994.
  • Options
    Madridista23Madridista23 Posts: 9,422
    Forum Member
    'Aloud'........ yeah. OK. :cool:
  • Options
    EBD3000EBD3000 Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i confused the hell out of my teachers by word-processing my work at school. It was 1994.

At high school (92 to 96) I'd have never used their rubbish dot matrix printer. Although some GCSE project stuff might have been typed I cannot remember.

I do remember at uni I'd written up an essay but it was pure rubbish as I'd misread the assignment. Anyway I re wrote it and typed it up.

On the day before we handed it in some lazy chump asked if they could copy my work. Guess which version I gave them? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EBD3000 wrote: »
    At high school (92 to 96) I'd have never used their rubbish dot matrix printer. Although some GCSE project stuff might have been typed I cannot remember.

I do remember at uni I'd written up an essay but it was pure rubbish as I'd misread the assignment. Anyway I re wrote it and typed it up.

On the day before we handed it in some lazy chump asked if they could copy my work. Guess which version I gave them? :D

We had one of these beauties:
    http://i951.photobucket.com/albums/ad360/ghihoadon/Canon%20%20Bj20/IMG_2766Medium.jpg

80 characters per second! :eek:

Though Wordperfect with a blue background wasn't up to much...
  • Options
    Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    PamelaL wrote: »

Sign seen in a library:

"Reading Allowed But Not Aloud"

Sorry, I'll just get my coat :D
  • Options
    GetMeOuttaHereGetMeOuttaHere Posts: 17,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you're complaining about college you'd better not want to go to university.
  • Options
    SoundburstSoundburst Posts: 13,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is necessary. Saves paper and allows partially sighted teachers to read your work.

simple really.
  • Options
    WeeksyWeeksy Posts: 6,139
    Forum Member
    We had one of these beauties:
    http://i951.photobucket.com/albums/ad360/ghihoadon/Canon%20%20Bj20/IMG_2766Medium.jpg

80 characters per second! :eek:

Though Wordperfect with a blue background wasn't up to much...

A colour?! I remember writing on a pc with orange text on a black background!

Seriously though, considering you can get a refurb'd laptop for less than £100 (and perfectly fine for wifi, word, firefox etc), not really any excuse. And theres still free computers in librarys.

I barely ever write by hand anymore. Guess its a bit of a shame, but I live.