Options

Students rioting again FFS

Comments

• Options
    Achtung!Achtung! Posts: 3,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RED_ wrote: »
    Because he has access to the services that the government provide just like the rest of us. We are not paying for nothing.

Why are you paying your taxes? Most likely because someone else is telling you too.

He pays tax on his salary, just not on the dividend paid to his wife. I pay tax because the law compels me to, not because somebody says I should, but I pay the absolute minimum I can get away with, as he does. I work through a Ltd. Company paying split dividends and taking expenses to try and save money on tax. Last year I saved around £8k in tax, I suppose you think I "should" have paid it. I say no.
  • Options
    duckymallardduckymallard Posts: 13,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    11:11 wrote: »
    Yea, because DVDs really show you the police using (and admitting) to the same tactics at the G20 protests in Toronto this year, aswell as London in 2009.

Don't be naive to think they don't use this approach to "weed" out the troublemakers. Its not like they are there to give them cuddles.

Weeding out and identifying troublemakers is what they're there for.

Acting as Agent Provocateur(s) is counterproductive, as in the UK it will not only cause any case to collapse, but also result in criminal charges against the officer(s) concerned.

There will be officers who will be seen to apparently be taking part, however they are the very few and far between long term undercover guys/girls protecting their cover.
  • Options
    susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    11:11 wrote: »
    Amen to that.

Does no-one understand that this is simply a matter of geography? Would you all be perfectly happy for 20,000 rioters to come up your mum and dad's street, smashing their car, wrecking their house and terrifying the life out of them because the cause was "just"? It's fine to smash up other people's property, but the flip-side of that is that it's also fine for other people to destroy yours in the interests of their own "just" cause.
  • Options
    DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    poppitypop wrote: »
    I agree, I was just correcting the person who said it was only £9k :)

that was me! :D

(meant to say per year)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    poppitypop wrote: »
    That would be £9k per year? A medical student can expect a bill of £70k upon finishing.

Which is payable over 30 years. It's hardly going to bankrupt a guy on a Doctor's salary is it?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which is payable over 30 years. It's hardly going to bankrupt a guy on a Doctor's salary is it?

I know and I agree, I was just correcting... oh never mind :D
  • Options
    mountymounty Posts: 19,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Their only slums because they live there.

hah that made chuckle :cool:
  • Options
    You_moYou_mo Posts: 11,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    susie-4964 wrote: »
    Does no-one understand that this is simply a matter of geography? Would you all be perfectly happy for 20,000 rioters to come up your mum and dad's street, smashing their car, wrecking their house and terrifying the life out of them because the cause was "just"? It's fine to smash up other people's property, but the flip-side of that is that it's also fine for other people to destroy yours in the interests of their own "just" cause.

20,000 rioters? I didn't realise it was that bad.
  • Options
    BorefestBorefest Posts: 9,557
    Forum Member
    Sky News have a photo of a protestor pulling down the union jack from the cenotaph. It's a good quality photo too.

Well I hope the Police catch the ignorant so and so and he gets hard labour, disugsting :mad: and the ones who painted graffiti on Winston Churchill Satue should be given hard abour, to if it was not for this great man no one in the U.K would be able to protest. I feel ashamed for the country.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,207
    Forum Member
    Here's how I understand it.

Education costs money.

Government is in debt due to various reasons.

Government makes cuts to University funding.

Universities quite rightly point out that if their funding is cut, then they'll have to cut back on the number of students they accept and the number of courses they offer.

The only 2 alternatives are either the students pay back the costs, or the rest of the UK Workforce pay even higher taxes to fund the university education.

No brainer. Why the hell should (for example) a council worker, who's already getting the squeeze pay and pension wise, be expected to pay more tax to permit someone else to go to university?

Today's lesson in the University of Life?

You get nowt for nowt - deal with it.

Sounds a bit bird brained to me . The clinching phrase was '' Government is in debt due to various reasons '' - like its some vacuous communal blame to be shared out . Why should people including students in the UK pay for the greedy bankers and the politicians mistakes when they dont ever get a say in the policies .
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So current generation gamble and throw away money in their high paid jobs which they reached by going to university for free, so the next generation has to pay for it by paying extra amounts to get the same education (or the dumbed down education depending on what you believe in exam marks!), am i getting this right??
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    susie-4964 wrote: »

If the decisions they made affected millions of peoples, and they trashed up the street, car, house, etc to get their point across then yes. In a Deomocracy those people have the right to do that given a minority has control, and the majority are unhappy with a decision made or about to be.

Those majority should have the right to chose for their futures, not a few people in parliament.
  • Options
    BorefestBorefest Posts: 9,557
    Forum Member
    memero wrote: »
    No it is not, the UK is a disgrace in the current age with it's tax dodging billionaires, and crooked politicians and bankers robbing the people and plunging them into poverty.

Churchill would have been on the side of the students, no doubt about it.

He may of been on the side of students who knows but he would have kicked the backside of some of the people today and their disgusting behaviour
  • Options
    You_moYou_mo Posts: 11,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    well if you can't afford 70K then choose another career path?!? :confused:

You cannot have everything you want in life- fact. :)

All that social mobility stuff is just lefty nonsense, eh? Know your place! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Borefest wrote: »
    Well I hope the Police catch the ignorant so and so and he gets hard labour, disugsting :mad: and the ones who painted graffiti on Winston Churchill Satue should be given hard abour, to if it was not for this great man no one in the U.K would be able to protest. I feel ashamed for the country.

BBC are showing the papers for tomorrow. One paper has a photo of a protestor urinating on the statue of churchill.
  • Options
    Forum Member

exactly. :)
  • Options
    Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You_mo wrote: »
    20,000 rioters? I didn't realise it was that bad.

Yeah but 200-300 would be violent and 19,700-19,800 wouldn't be that foolish.
  • Options
    estrella★estrella★ Posts: 3,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hansue wrote: »
    How the Police manage to stand there and not hurl abuse at them is beyond me.

Not really the police's job to hurl abuse at the protestors though, is it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You_mo wrote: »
    All that social mobility stuff is just lefty nonsense, eh? Know your place! :D

:confused:
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SlashNX wrote: »
    So current generation gamble and throw away money in their high paid jobs which they reached by going to university for free, so the next generation has to pay for it by paying extra amounts to get the same education (or the dumbed down education depending on what you believe in exam marks!), am i getting this right??

Yep. Ex Etonians making the decisions again now.:cry:

They could recoup all the money by taxing certain high level banking transactions heavily. But that would affect their mates down the golf club.
  • Options
    memeromemero Posts: 762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    they agreed to share power for the good of the country

that's what they said.

they also said they would not increase fees, and that turned out to be a lie.

So why shouldn't their reason for sharing power also be a lie?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds more like a load of birdmuck to me . The clinching phrase was '' Government is in debt due to various reasons '' - like its some vacuous communal blame to be shared out . Why should people including students in the UK pay for the greedy bankers and the politicians mistakes when they dont ever get a say in the policies .

Because that's the way it is. There's not enough money to permit the Gov't to pay for a university education for all. We can gripe and moan about the causes, the reasons and the "who's to blame" all year, but it will not alter the basic fact.

So either the student pays, the university pays or the UK workforce pays.

That concludes Lesson 2 from the University of Life :D
  • Options
    hansuehansue Posts: 14,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not really the police's job to hurl abuse at the protestors though, is it?

No its not but if I had someone shouting at me I would find it difficult to stand there and take it. I'll ask my daughter's partner because he is a Police Officer and is trained to deal with rioters.
  • Options
    Achtung!Achtung! Posts: 3,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SlashNX wrote: »

It reminds me of all those people who benefitted from child tax, or family allowance as children themselves, but would happily see it abolished for this generation of children, because they don't now want to pay for it now they are taxpayers.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched the news tonight in horror. What on earth has all this cost us today?

The cowards who hid behind scarves and masks should be ashamed of themselves. I know they're possibly not students before anyone says!

A lot of people have already said that they should pull up the draw-bridge now and only allow the brightest students to go to Uni. Let's face it, some of these degrees are laughable and kids are just going along for a few years of partying and so on. They come away with a rubbish degree and no hope of getting a job at all and then wail "but I've got a degree" as if that opens all the door for them.:rolleyes:

There are thousands of older people who have built up successful businesses or who have worked their way up to the top in their field ... without a university education. Loads of people didn't have the choice of furthering their education at 16+ they had to leave school and start earning money to support their families. Those who were fortunate enough to be "allowed" to go off to college left on a bus with a blinking rucksack!

Kids set off now in a convoy of family cars packed to the hilt with everything they could possibly need and still they think they are owed more by everybody.