BBC2 Talking Pictures 12:30

Comments

• anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've just read that Ginger was paid less than some of the lesser performers in some of her films. Outrageous considering she was one of the main stars!

Yes. She was treated very badly. As someone said Ginger did everything Fred did. She just did it backwards and in high heels. Which was even harder.
  • ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 41,544
    Forum Member
    Yes. She was treated very badly. As someone said Ginger did everything Fred did. She just did it backwards and in high heels. Which was even harder.

It must've been very galling for her, not just Fred as the man being paid more but performers below her as well. I didn't know she was the bigger star when they first started performing together. Then he earns more money and profits from their films as well. She seemed like such a lady, bet she wanted to say what really happened but kept a lid on it saying it was all rumour.

I can't walk in heels let alone dance in them, I don't know how she did it. I'd say she definitely had the harder job!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It must've been very galling for her, not just Fred as the man being paid more but performers below her as well. I didn't know she was the bigger star when they first started performing together. Then he earns more money and profits from their films as well. She seemed like such a lady, bet she wanted to say what really happened but kept a lid on it saying it was all rumour.

I can't walk in heels let alone dance in them, I don't know how she did it. I'd say she definitely had the harder job!

Absolutely. I recorded it to watch later. I hope they feature Esther Williams because my grandfather knew her very well. :)
    Forum Member
    Absolutely. I recorded it to watch later. I hope they feature Esther Williams because my grandfather knew her very well. :)

Your grandfather knew some of the old stars then :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Your grandfather knew some of the old stars then :)

Yes he worked with most of them. I have an autograph book with many of their signatures and messages to him including Laurel & Hardy, Errol Flynn, Esther Williams, Gene Kelly, Abbott & Costello, John Wayne and others.
    Forum Member
    Yes he worked with most of them. I have an autograph book with many of their signatures and messages to him including Laurel & Hardy, Errol Flynn, Esther Williams, Gene Kelly, Abbott & Costello, John Wayne and others.

Laurel and Hardy, my partner likes their films, he'd be envious! I saw the Gene Kelly Talking Pictures a few months back. He seemed like a really nice guy, did your grandfather say anything about him?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Laurel and Hardy, my partner likes their films, he'd be envious! I saw the Gene Kelly Talking Pictures a few months back. He seemed like a really nice guy, did your grandfather say anything about him?

He was a perfectionist also and very difficult to work with. He used to get into rows and physical fights with a lot of people.
    Forum Member
    He was a perfectionist also and very difficult to work with.

Oh :( I suppose you can't get the true picture of someone from just a few interviews.
    Forum Member
    Tomorrow it's episode 17 of 18, Richard Burton 12.45pm followed by the film 'Becket.'
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tomorrow it's episode 17 of 18, Richard Burton 12.45pm followed by the film 'Becket.'

Oh great. Thanks again for the heads up. :)
  • BluejuBlueju Posts: 773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tomorrow it's episode 17 of 18, Richard Burton 12.45pm followed by the film 'Becket.'[/QUOTE

Excellent....thanks so much for that. Wish Id pressed the VBox 'record the whole series' for this as I often miss the odd one...not the Bette Davis one fortunately! Burton is one of my all time favourites.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    The ever expanding and contracting 'hidden' series is back again @12:30, just spotted it by accident.

Talking Pictures
    Alfred Hitchcock
    Episode 18 of 24
    Duration: 40 minutes

A retrospective look at television appearances made over the years by iconic Hollywood director Alfred Hitchcock, reflecting on the milestones and highlights of his life and career.

Narrated by Sylvia Syms.
    Forum Member
    The ever expanding and contracting 'hidden' series is back again @12:30, just spotted it by accident.

Talking Pictures
    Alfred Hitchcock
    Episode 18 of 24

A retrospective look at television appearances made over the years by iconic Hollywood director Alfred Hitchcock, reflecting on the milestones and highlights of his life and career.

Narrated by Sylvia Syms.

I noticed last night that TP was back on today but I couldn't find the thread! I started a new one, but glad you found this thread again!

It's Shirley MacLaine next Saturday, 19 of 24.

Edit: The Lady Vanishes is on after the Hitchcock TP.
  • BluejuBlueju Posts: 773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Talking Pictures
    Alfred Hitchcock
    Episode 18 of 24

Narrated by Sylvia Syms.

Thanks for that. Wish these "Talking Pictures" had been shown properly instead of being scattered as theyre full of gems. Pity they weren't on in the evening when quality programmes highlighting class acts are few and far between.
    Forum Member
    I noticed last night that TP was back on today but I couldn't find the thread! I started a new one, but glad you found this thread again!

It's Shirley MacLaine next Saturday, 19 of 24.

Edit: The Lady Vanishes is on after the Hitchcock TP.

Sorry, I should have mentioned it was followed by The Lady Vanishes.
    As blind spot as I won't be watching it.
    The BBC TV adaptation that's closer to the book should be due for a repeat by now, now that you've reminded me.
    The Lady Vanishes/As the Wheel Turns
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    What a brilliant character Hitchcock was. All work and no play makes Jack. :D:D The story about his idea to get Cary Grant to slide down the nose of Abraham Lincoln and hide in his nostril was hilarious.
    Forum Member
    On the Hitchcock tip Vertigo is on tomorrow BBC 2 13:55.

An ex-police officer, who suffers from an intense fear of heights, is hired to prevent an old friend's wife from committing suicide. But all is not what it seems. Hitchcock's haunting, compelling masterpiece is uniquely revelatory about the director's own predilections and hang-ups, and is widely considered to be one of his masterworks.

Jimmy Stewart, Kim Novak, Barbara Bell Geddes.
    Forum Member
    Late bump Shirley Maclaine was on yesterday, on the Iplayer.

A retrospective look at television appearances made over the years by one of Hollywood's most outspoken stars, Shirley Maclaine, with interviews and clips capturing the milestones and highlights of her Oscar-winning career. Narrated by Sylvia Syms.

Carrying on the Hitchcock theme, was followed by The Trouble with Harry, which I missed, and I don't think I've seen before, then The Man who knew too much, which I have seen.
    Forum Member
    Joan Fontaine is the subject of TP today at 12.30pm, followed by the Hitchcock film JF started in: Suspicion.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Joan Fontaine is the subject of TP today at 12.30pm, followed by the Hitchcock film JF started in: Suspicion.

Looking forward to this one. It's the only tribute to her since her recent death.
    Forum Member
    Looking forward to this one. It's the only tribute to her since her recent death.

They've certainly taken their time with the tribute, she passed away four months ago. It's a shame this is the only tribute to her.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    They've certainly taken their time with the tribute, she passed away four months ago. It's a shame this is the only tribute to her.

Agreed. I thought there would be a proper tribute. She seemed like a real character from her interview. Her comment about serial engagements being a bad habit she got into was hilarious.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    She looks like Meryl Streep in that interview with Valerie Singleton.
    Forum Member
    Agreed. I thought there would be a proper tribute. She seemed like a real character from her interview. Her comment about serial engagements being a bad habit she got into was hilarious.

I've recorded this so I'll watch it with interest :)
    Forum Member
    Back again tomorrow with part 22, Deborah Kerr

A look back at the career of British actress Deborah Kerr, with vintage television interviews and classic archive clips telling how she left Britain in the 1940s and became one of Hollywood's biggest stars.