VE Day 70 BBC1 8.30pm Saturday 8th May

14567810»

Comments

• roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why include songs that were written after the war? (Run/Youl never walk alone/in the army now.
  • goonernataliegoonernatalie Posts: 4,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have got this on record as I was out last night so watch it with hubby later on.
    My uncle was a P.O.W.
    I have met Vera Lynn (autograph hunting) she is most charming lovely lady and was thrilled,that I enjoyed music from the era(Glen Miller etc)
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    roddydogs wrote: »
    Why include songs that were written after the war? (Run/Youl never walk alone/in the army now.
    Written in 1945....for the musical Carousel.
    Sylvia wrote: »
    Could have been worse. Imagine Stephen Fry or Jonathan Ross for example. Shudder.
    Going to have nightmares now.....Chris did a great job last last night, after being told, not to put his hand in his pocket, which he was doing at the start.

Music and readings just right {I like Katherine}, highlight, Pixie Lott....and that amazing letter, read by Jane Horrocks.
  • StuntyStunty Posts: 45,699
    Forum Member
    VE Day 70: The Nation Remembers from Westminster Abbey today.

I am willing for someone to use the word 'austerity' to describe the war years and those that followed. They seem to be skirting round it because the word means nothing now that people seem to think that we live in dire austere times at present!!

Let's hope Dan Snow doesn't relate to the The Queen as 'Her Royal Highness' again this week!!! :eek:
  • roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stansfield wrote: »

Going to have nightmares now.....Chris did a great job last last night, after being told, not to put his hand in his pocket, which he was doing at the start.

Music and readings just right {I like Katherine}, highlight, Pixie Lott....and that amazing letter, read by Jane Horrocks.

But not performed till April 1945 & unknown to wartime audiences.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The older I get the more I realise how badly history was taught when I was at school (I was 'good' at it too). I can only hope that these days with all the multimedia available, school children are taught more about what life was like and less dry facts and figures to be trotted out during exams.
    I think it has gone too far that way with too much concentration on 'what life was like' and not enough on facts. Danger of kids knowing what it was like to be in a trench or air raid shelter etc but no idea why the wars started or even who took part.
  • mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    Cant beat the originals sung by Vera Lynn and the Andrew Sisters. Alfie Boe is always on , dont know why they pick him. Has a harsh voice imo. Great show tho
  • TejasTejas Posts: 5,027
    Forum Member
    I only really watched this to see Pixie Lott and the Strictly gang, but thought it was a marvellous event - a good balance of darkness and light, and good to see a BBC event where the focus is not on presenters, but on the entertainers and the reason why it was organised in the first place. As well as the above, I thought Chas & Dave were great fun, Alfie Boe singing 'Run' was surprisingly good, and Jane Horrocks' speech was very moving.

I'm very glad to see some Pixie love in this thread though; far too often she gets criticised for the slightest things, but this showed how versatile she is and I'm happy that people enjoyed her performance of 'Sally'. I think it would make a good charity single - in fact, maybe an album of all the songs would be a nice idea?
  • mammacassimammacassi Posts: 101
    Forum Member
    I loved it was not expecting to, only recorded it because I am an Alfie fan, he was great love the new look suspect it is for Quadrophenia , Love Laura Wright one of our finest female singers, made KJ look a bit feeble, the star of the night was the wonderful Jayne Horrocks, Loved Pixie, especially Pixie and Laura doing the Andrews sisters,great show well done Beeb.
  • mammacassimammacassi Posts: 101
    Forum Member
    Sky_Guy wrote: »
    Thanks, I don't like these celebs reading stuff out, surely they could have found someone better suited.

Adrian Lester is a very well known actor he does a lot for the RSC. not a celeb!!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    Well, I enjoyed it. It was a good mix of both fun and emotion. Have to agree though - Katharine Jenkins isn't brilliant. I couldn't understand a lot of her diction, but Laura Wright was far clearer, Chris Evans was OK, but that's about it; he did seem once or twice just to be going through the motions of reading from an autocue. Jane Horrocks was superb - the reading itself was so emotional, and the way she read it (and no, I don't think the tears were rehearsed) was amazing. Martin Shaw read the British Legion commendation the way it should always be read, in my opinion. It was a fitting way to commemorate not only VE Day, but the six years of pain and hardship prior to that.
  • standastanda Posts: 190
    Forum Member

In the Army Now fitted in perfectly with the narrative of that part of the show- immediately before we were listening to the veterans about their experiences.
  • Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stansfield wrote: »

Chris Evans was great. The whole show was good, even KJ who I don't like.

I cringed when I saw Jane Horrocks come on the stage. I was dreading her mardy stupid little voice (no pun intended) which is why I don't like her. She did Ok with it but it should have been read out by a guy, the letter was from a guy, rather than pretending it was read by the mum.
  • milliejomilliejo Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris Evans was great. The whole show was good, even KJ who I don't like.

I cringed when I saw Jane Horrocks come on the stage. I was dreading her mardy stupid little voice (no pun intended) which is why I don't like her. She did Ok with it but it should have been read out by a guy, the letter was from a guy, rather than pretending it was read by the mum.

The letter was read by the mum because he was killed. She reading a letter that would tell a mother that her son is dead, his words of goodbye. The instructions for a memorial, and his pride in the fact that he may have to give his life, so that his mother can live a good life without war. Jane seemed to feel the pain of reading that letter for a heartbroken mother. That was the point.
  • td1983td1983 Posts: 2,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Enjoyed the show, Alexander Armstrong"s performance of London Pride was the standout moment for me personally. Very stirring. Thought Chris Evans was out of place, too egotistical and modern for a show of this magnitude. My mum loved it.
  • Ash_M1Ash_M1 Posts: 18,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andagha wrote: »
    This has just started on BBC1.. Is anyone going to watch this at all?

Absolutely loved it. Had a good sing song. Very entertaining. Thank you BBC as always. BBC Events always deliver. Brilliant. Just what we needed after a very negative / divisive election campaign.

P.S. You can't beat a bit of Chas 'n' Dave. Thoroughly enjoyed seeing Team Strictly too. They really are excellent. Such a top troupe.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure why, but they fit very well into the feeling of the event.
    In fact after Jane Horrocks emotional reading, hearing run sang I dissolved into tears which is very unlike me. Alfie Boe's rendition was so moving the best performance I have ever heard of that song.
    I thought the concert was outstanding. The correct mixture of fun, respectful appreciation, entertainment and information.
    Not usually keen on Jenkins but felt she was ok on this.
    I sat with my 85 year old Mum and 80 year old uncle watching it and we ..yes we all sang along. They reminisced about VE day, the incendiary marks in the school playground after a raid, running away when the were made to try on their gas masks.
    They told me how the Yanks used to get their hair cut by my Grandad and later in the war the German POWs were allowed to come to his barbers to get their hair cut. Mum walked in from work, has to walk through a salon full of Germans...petrified her.
    So good to let them talk, keep their memories active.
  • Daniel DareDaniel Dare Posts: 3,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sheph wrote: »
    I'm not sure why, but they fit very well into the feeling of the event.
    In fact after Jane Horrocks emotional reading, hearing run sang I dissolved into tears which is very unlike me. Alfie Boe's rendition was so moving the best performance I have ever heard of that song.
    I thought the concert was outstanding. The correct mixture of fun, respectful appreciation, entertainment and information.
    Not usually keen on Jenkins but felt she was ok on this.
    I sat with my 85 year old Mum and 80 year old uncle watching it and we ..yes we all sang along. They reminisced about VE day, the incendiary marks in the school playground after a raid, running away when the were made to try on their gas masks.
    They told me how the Yanks used to get their hair cut by my Grandad and later in the war the German POWs were allowed to come to his barbers to get their hair cut. Mum walked in from work, has to walk through a salon full of Germans...petrified her.
    So good to let them talk, keep their memories active.

Super post.

It's on again on the Beeb as I type and I'm enjoying it just as much as when I first watched it.
    The readings are compelling to listen to.

But oh, that music and song... wonderful, wonderful commemorative!
  • meechyemoomeechyemoo Posts: 659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watching this for the firs time. The Jane horrocks reading was almost unbearable it was so sad.