Does your cat eat spiders?!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
Forum Member
✭✭
Emily just ate a massive spider. It was crawling round in the bath and she just jumped in and ate it. I've seen her eat little spiders before but I didn't think she'd want to eat one so big that she'd have to chew it. Is this normal behaviour? If I'd known cats were spider killers I'd have got one years before I did! She's my hero :)

Comments

• howard hhoward h Posts: 23,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flies, ants, spiders, yes, you name it, Jet ate it.

Remember, that was gourmet food to pussies long before humans with microwaves appeared on the scene.
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bumble bees are her favourite but she'll eat anything she can catch.

She likes those big moths you get in the summer.
  • howard hhoward h Posts: 23,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cosmo wrote: »
    She likes those big moths you get in the summer.

That's not to eat though. That's just showing off because we can't catch them.
  • BigfeetBigfeet Posts: 14,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of mine does, the other just kills them then sits looking at them in moggie disgust :D .
  • shakeyershammyshakeyershammy Posts: 18,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My young cat will play with it for a while, resulting in a squished spider and then he devours it. Result! (I hate spiders).
    He also runs about the house like a mad man chasing flies - he smashed one of my living-room lamps just a few weeks ago in his pursuit of a fly.

My older cat sits on her arse while watching the spider marching past :mad:. Bloody useless.
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    howard h wrote: »
    That's not to eat though. That's just showing off because we can't catch them.

No, she eats them.

It makes my wife retch when she crunches them.
  • susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our Maine **** is an indoor cat, so most of his hunting activities are insect-related. He eats everything he catches, legs and all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Emily will play with things before she eats them too, it's horrible to watch. One time it backfired was when she was playing with a sparrow, it managed to fly away from her and she just sat on the grass crying:D My neighbour takes birds/mice away from her and thinks I should too but I think by the time she's bitten something it's all over really.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Moths,bees,wasps,grass hoppers and spiders were all devoured.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 276
    Forum Member
    Ambercat catches flies and sucks them to death and then places them at my feet usually when Im eating. Thankfully I dont get spidies lol
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,954
    Forum Member
    my kitten brought in a live bee once. :eek: we thought it was a spider but thankfully we got it off of her before it stung her. :D she wasn't amused as it was the first thing she'd caught after months of trying to catch something...bless her
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,526
    Forum Member
    Muffin has never eaten spiders; just sits and stares at them. Apart from on rare occasions, when he will sniff the spider, then wander off again, leaving the spider free to scuttle around and freak me out. :mad: I so wish I'd trained Muffin to get them when he was a kitten!
  • fitnessqueenfitnessqueen Posts: 5,185
    Forum Member
    I've been watching the kittens playing in the garden and chasing bees around- do they ever get stung? And yes Pixie started on spiders last year, progressed to earthworms and frogs and the other morning there was a decapitated, regurgitated baby bird waiting for me in the kitchen.......
    Forum Member
    Post not appearing- need to edit a typo!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 395
    Forum Member
    Jerrica09 wrote: »
    Emily just ate a massive spider. It was crawling round in the bath and she just jumped in and ate it. I've seen her eat little spiders before but I didn't think she'd want to eat one so big that she'd have to chew it. Is this normal behaviour? If I'd known cats were spider killers I'd have got one years before I did! She's my hero :)

Yep!! One of my cats (called fats as he is a LARGE ginger boy!!) loves to eat spiders!
  • gertrude hubblegertrude hubble Posts: 1,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Both mine love spiders, butterflies, bees in fact anythings that moves is pounced upon and if they feel it is edible they will eat it. They are enjoying themselves immensely at the moment as the warm weather has bought out so many insects and the plus side is that they have lost interest in the birds .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In our house if any thing with more legs than any cat has it is in danger. I am scared stiff of spiders (I would never hurt them) so my good lady who is so brave has to race to get to the spider before any of our three cats do. If my wife wins the race the spider gets to live in an other room, if one of the cats wins it is chomp, chomp, chomp. Talk about "Hammer House Of Horrors"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 446
    Forum Member
    My kitties ate spiders til they crunched then spat out their bodies so I'd have to pick them up - How Rude!!
  • PufflePuffle Posts: 2,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of mine is scared of spiders! He ran a mile once when we put him in front of a tiny spider - we cried with laughter
  • cjsmummycjsmummy Posts: 11,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My departed dear cat Cosmo used to play with spiders for a bit then sometimes eat them. We get some monster spiders where we stay:eek:unfortunately my 2 younger cats won't touch them so i get my son or OH to do it. Dispose of them that is, not eat them lol
  • Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the other morning there was a decapitated, regurgitated baby bird waiting for me in the kitchen.......

Mmmm....how lovely ! :D
  • Abbasolutely 40Abbasolutely 40 Posts: 15,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes , Alfie eats spiders , flies , bees , ants , and anything that passes by . Last week we got a present of a mouse on the mat ,.
  • cjsmummycjsmummy Posts: 11,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The younger cats leave decapitated or ripped up birds and mice in kitchen or-embarrasingly-outside our front door. Postman never knows what to expect some morns:o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 446
    Forum Member
    One of mine, along with the usual birds and mice etc used to bring frogs in and play with them......it was awful when the frogs squeaked!!
    Forum Member
    Mmmm....how lovely ! :D

Yes I though so- it was just what I needed at 6.15 in the morning....:eek: