Any experts on colds/flu? :)

ChibiCandiChibiCandi Posts: 966
Forum Member
✭✭
Warning: the following post mentions icky phlegm!!!

Okay.. for about 2 weeks I've had a runny nose with this cold weather. Only a couple o f days ago did I get this horrible cough, basically it was just phlegm which I was too scared to cough up (also hard since most times I tried to get rid of it I was sick).The cough is the type where when you breathe in it starts to tickle and then I cough a few times. At this time my runny nose was completley absent which I thought was odd. Yesterday I felt like I was at deaths door with chills, feeling hot, confused, achey and generally very very tired. Today I feel alot better, I coughed up some phlegm which was greenish yellowish, looked brown at the start, kinda hard to tell. Anyway, I've still got my cough but I'm sneezing for England and my nose is leaking, what does this sound like? Does it sound like I'm recovering? What I'm blowing out is very clear too.

ps It's very hard to get any antibiotics from the doctor for this kind of thing. I want to ask what people think!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 138
    Forum Member
    does it hurt when you cough up the icky stuff?
    this could indicate that you have a chest infection and the doc usually prescribes antibiotics for this.
  • Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you a smoker? If not, your chest may have become infected (green/brown phlegm) and antibiotics may be needed. But otherwise, the symptoms are all part of the bug that is enveloping the UK, and antibiotics will not help with that.

I'm not good with decongestants - rather have a runny nose than the irritable sensation of a too dry one - but they might help you.
  • ChibiCandiChibiCandi Posts: 966
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jackie45 wrote: »
    does it hurt when you cough up the icky stuff?
    this could indicate that you have a chest infection and the doc usually prescribes antibiotics for this.

It's more tickley/irritating than hurting, it hurt yesterday but not anymore. My throat gets sore since I have to cough like 5 times in a row to stop the irritation, if you get me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you a smoker? If not, your chest may have become infected (green/brown phlegm) and antibiotics may be needed. But otherwise, the symptoms are all part of the bug that is enveloping the UK, and antibiotics will not help with that.

I'm not good with decongestants - rather have a runny nose than the irritable sensation of a too dry one - but they might help you.

Nope, am not a smoker. I was thinking about that with the phlegm but its the first day I've seen it, tomorow morning I'll see if there are any changes. My whole family seems to have it too!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also my temperature is back to normal completley,
    Forum Member
    ChibiCandi wrote: »
    It's more tickley/irritating than hurting, it hurt yesterday but not anymore.

it sounds to me then that you have cold/flu and the only thing that I find that helps is a couple of beechams capsules and plenty of hot drinks
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it sounds to me then that you have cold/flu and the only thing that I find that helps is a couple of beechams capsules and plenty of hot drinks

Thats good to know. I cant imagine it would be doctor worthy if the worst part lasted only a day (but what a day :eek:) thank you for your input.
    Forum Member
    no problem, it looks like you have a good immune system as the bad symtoms only lasted a day and you feel better than you did, if you keep coughing and it hurts your throat try a teaspoon of honey as it really soothes, I find chocolate helps too :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    no problem, it looks like you have a good immune system as the bad symtoms only lasted a day and you feel better than you did, if you keep coughing and it hurts your throat try a teaspoon of honey as it really soothes, I find chocolate helps too :D

Funnily enough I've gone completley off the stuff, this cold is doing wonders for my appetite lol.
    Forum Member
    :o not a lot puts me of my food, hope you get your appetite back in time for xmas dinner!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :o not a lot puts me of my food, hope you get your appetite back in time for xmas dinner!

Haha, I ate like a horse yesterday night :o, thank you :)
  • Carlos_dfcCarlos_dfc Posts: 8,262
    Forum Member
    I used to get loads of colds - I was an absolute martyr to them from late autumn to early spring every year.
    (The fact that I'm regularly out for long periods at night in the frreezing cold might have had something to do with it, but that's another topic)

Anyhow - a few years ago I started taking Vit C and Echinacea (dissolvable tablets - one a day) - both are supposed to help the immune system - I was sceptical as to whether I'd get any noticeable benefits, but gave 'em a try.

The result has been only one cold in 3 winters.
    Now I'm not saying they'd work for evryone, but they certainly appear to have worked for me..... so far....
    (fingers crossed - touch-wood - etc.....)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Carlos_dfc wrote: »
    I used to get loads of colds - I was an absolute martyr to them from late autumn to early spring every year.
    (The fact that I'm regularly out for long periods at night in the frreezing cold might have had something to do with it, but that's another topic)

Anyhow - a few years ago I started taking Vit C and Echinacea (dissolvable tablets - one a day) - both are supposed to help the immune system - I was sceptical as to whether I'd get any noticeable benefits, but gave 'em a try.

Now I'm not saying they'd work for evryone, but they certainly appear to have worked for me..... so far....

That's good to know. I havent felt this bad in a while and I suppose the worst of it only lasted a day. I do try and keep my Vit C levels up but will consider the Echinacea.
  • irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's a well known fallacy that vitamin C prevents or releaves the cold symptoms. Most medical studies have found that there is no real benefit other than that caused by a possible placebo effect. Better to rely on parocodal or lemsip!
    Forum Member
    irishguy wrote: »
    It's a well known fallacy that vitamin C prevents or releaves the cold symptoms. Most medical studies have found that there is no real benefit other than that caused by a possible placebo effect. Better to rely on parocodal or lemsip!

The Vit C is not intended to prevent or relieve symptoms.
    And yes - once you've got the cold, a paracetamol product will give you far more benefit.
    The Vit C and/or Echinacea are intended to give you a more effective immune system - so you don't get the cold in the first place.
    I know the benefits of Vit C for the immune system are disputed - and perhaps it's only the echinacea which has helped myself - don't know, don't really care - all I know is that since using the combo, my incidences of colds have reduced drastically.
    They've become part of my morning routine now, and if the Vit C is superfluous, I don't mind - it's cheap enough, I quite like the drink, and it'll do me no harm
  • irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Vit C is not intended to prevent or relieve symptoms.
    And yes - once you've got the cold, a paracetamol product will give you far more benefit.
    The Vit C and/or Echinacea are intended to give you a more effective immune system - so you don't get the cold in the first place.
    I know the benefits of Vit C for the immune system are disputed - and perhaps it's only the echinacea which has helped myself - don't know, don't really care - all I know is that since using the combo, my incidences of colds have reduced drastically.
    They've become part of my morning routine now, and if the Vit C is superfluous, I don't mind - it's cheap enough, I quite like the drink, and it'll do me no harm

But my point is that Vitamin C alone is seen to have no additional benefit in preventing catching a cold. Obviously if you're Vitamin C deficient then there would be a benefit but taking additional doses over the required amount has found it to be in no way beneficial in preventing colds in statistical controlled case studies.

As I said, there may be a placebo effect involved which is negated in controlled blind studies which may explain some observations. But hey, if it works for you then go for it.
    Forum Member
    irishguy wrote: »
    Obviously if you're Vitamin C deficient then there would be a benefit............/quote]
    It's possible I was - a little - at the time I started taking the Vit C supplements.
    My diet at the time was... well to put it bluntly, I was eating junk.
    Diet now is much better, but 3 yrs ago I may well have been a bit low on Vit C
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Okay.. woke up at about 3am freezing cold and feeling delrious - i couldn'twake myself up to get up and go to the toilet or anything. Then I felt absolutley boiling hot, but it seems more on myface than anywhere else (feet were still cold). I feel pretty crappy being so hot and clammy. Maybe I'm not past it yet :(

I'm still taking paracetimol and drinking plenty though..
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had a cold recently which lasted two or three days, then I developed a really irritating dry cough with a tickly throat which kept me awake at night.

I went to Boots and explained my symptoms to the pharmacist and they gave me a linctus called Pholcodine which did the trick.

Bottom line is it may be worth you having a word with your local pharmacist, rather than trying to guess what's best for you!
  • WeeksyWeeksy Posts: 6,139
    Forum Member
    ChibiCandi wrote: »
    Okay.. woke up at about 3am freezing cold and feeling delrious - i couldn'twake myself up to get up and go to the toilet or anything. Then I felt absolutley boiling hot, but it seems more on myface than anywhere else (feet were still cold). I feel pretty crappy being so hot and clammy. Maybe I'm not past it yet :(

I'm still taking paracetimol and drinking plenty though..

Sounds very similar to what I had. Felt pretty icky at work on Wednesday, thought it was just a cold. Had thursday off - didn't wake up till 5pm, when I did threw up, and was roasting hot despite heating being off! Temperatures back to normal now, but still no appetite. Ordered a pizza last night at work, and got through 1 slice before deciding I was full :(.

Still coughing up a lot of eugh, but hey. Long as I'm better by xmas! Mainly concerned by my appetite!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Update: Just got back from the hospital, she thinks I might have a chest infection and prescribed amoxycillin. My temperature was about 40C and I was delirious :(
  • victor melvictor mel Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Currently suffering with the flu. Its really knocked me out the last few days all I can do is stay in bed.
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP, yellow/green sputum is caused by bacteria. It can be treated with antibiotics but usually it isn't bad enough to bother with that, unless you have a lung problem when it is essential. Clear or white sputum is viral.
  • TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    Johnbee wrote: »
    OP, yellow/green sputum is caused by bacteria. It can be treated with antibiotics but usually it isn't bad enough to bother with that, unless you have a lung problem when it is essential. Clear or white sputum is viral.

Hopefully the op is over it considering the thread is over three years old no idea why it was bumped up
  • victor melvictor mel Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought it was better than starting a new thread. Trying to be helpful.
    Still feel so rough. Started on Wednesday afternoon coming on so quick. By Thursday I was bed bound.