Options

Sony Ericsson Android - possible for £20/month?

Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
Forum Member
My phone contract expires at the end of the month and so I might be able to get a new one with a new phone, at the moment I pay about £20 a month, do you think there's a chance of getting a Sony Ericsson Android based phone in a new contract for roughly the same? What I like about these, is that the camera is very decent and of course Android opens up an interesting world where things such as listening to internet radio on the move is possible.

Comments

• Options
    cavemanjamescavemanjames Posts: 656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You probably won't be able to without paying for the phone on top of the contract.

O2 do the Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc on £16.50/month for 24 months with a one off payment of £204.99 and that only gives you 50 minutes, 250 texts and 500MB data a month.

With the Xperia Play, at the minute on a 24 month contract (Still with O2) you can get it for free with 600 minutes, unlimited texts and 500MB data for £32/month.

My advice if you want a Sony Ericsson phone with Android... Go for the latest models out (Xperia Arc, Xperia Play, Xperia mini pro (Don't get confused with the Xperia X10 mini pro))

Have a look around the different network's shops to see if there's a deal/phone that suits you?
  • Options
    davethorpdavethorp Posts: 8,701
    Forum Member
    A week ago you'd have been able to get the arc for free on £16.50 a month as part of their flash sale. Sadly the offer has now run out
  • Options
    The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you can have an X8 for a tenner a month
  • Options
    Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    The Sack wrote: »
    you can have an X8 for a tenner a month

Where?, if true might be worth it.
  • Options
    CoolboyACoolboyA Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Look on eBay and buy Sim Free then just get a pay monthly tariff. Some great deals to be had on eBay atm.
  • Options
    lbearlbear Posts: 1,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can get the Arc free for £21.50 a month on O2

This is almost as good a deal as the weekend price crash O2 themselves offered as their deal was 50min / 250 texts and this is 100min/500 texts. The price difference on the two call/text plans is £5 a month so they are directly equivalent.

I got one on the O2 weekend deal. The 500Mb allowance for mobile data gives you an extra 20 messages you can use for MMS. In addition, you get unlimited wifi access through The Cloud or BT Openzone hotspots. You can add Skype if you think you may go over your talk allowance or want international calls.

The Arc has a huge, very sharp and bright, screen and has Android 2.3.3, the very latest version. You can also put your apps in folders so you can access a several from a folder on a single home screen - For example, I have Maps, Google Earth, Navigation, Latitude, Places, Google Sky and a satellite indicator under the "Maps" folder on my home screen.

Comes with an 8Gb micro SD card. Very good camera that will do HD video and has an HDMI output (with lead in box) so you can clone the display to a large screen TV.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lbear wrote: »
    You can also put your apps in folders so you can access a several from a folder on a single home screen - For example, I have Maps, Google Earth, Navigation, Latitude, Places, Google Sky and a satellite indicator under the "Maps" folder on my home screen.
    Hasn't that been standard for a while now? I can certainly do it on a Desire running 2.2
  • Options
    The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where?, if true might be worth it.

Its with T-Mobile but they have been a bit cheeky, to get it at £10 a month they now want £40 just for the phone which given the X8 will be stuck on 2.1 for ever more and its pretty low spec not the good deal it was.

BTW all the phones sold at the carphone warehouse are SIM free, so you could buy one outright for 99 quid.