Multiroom

nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
Forum Member
✭✭
Is multiroom worth it?

We have just a standard VM box in the living room, what would we get with multiroom?

Also is there anyway to just get it posted out without an engineer visit as we already have VM in both the bedroom and living room, but only one box so we swap about occasionally.

Any help is welcome.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 356
    Forum Member
    You get another box for another room.
  • nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes I know that, I was wondering if it was just another standard box or an HD box etc.
  • timpotimpo Posts: 1,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I know that, I was wondering if it was just another standard box or an HD box etc.

Hi mate, you'll get a V HD box which is the standard box now i think, you could request a V+ box which gives you all the recording facilities, and if you are willing to pay an extra £5 per month then you could get a TiVo box with all the bells and whistles, as for multiroom, well i have 4 boxes in total and don't pay anything extra for multiroom, just give retentions a call on 150, iv'e found if you are reasonable with them on the phone then you are much more likely to get a good deal.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    timpo wrote: »
    Hi mate, you'll get a V HD box which is the standard box now i think, you could request a V+ box which gives you all the recording facilities, and if you are willing to pay an extra £5 per month then you could get a TiVo box with all the bells and whistles, as for multiroom, well i have 4 boxes in total and don't pay anything extra for multiroom, just give retentions a call on 150, iv'e found if you are reasonable with them on the phone then you are much more likely to get a good deal.

I don't really need the recording facilities, but if I can get it at no extra cost then I wouldn't mind lol.

HD box is pointless as well, as we don't have an HD telly, but nothing I can do about that, think I'll phone them in a couple of months, see what they can offer lol.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    you get the standard box as a 2nd box it costs £6.50 a month,and yes u can ask for a self install,but if engineer comes hes only in 5 minutes
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    malah wrote: »
    you get the standard box as a 2nd box it costs £6.50 a month,and yes u can ask for a self install,but if engineer comes hes only in 5 minutes

We don't need the engineer to come as we already have virgin in both rooms, but only one box. I though it was £10 a month, so will be looking into it more in a few months.
  • JustinThePubJustinThePub Posts: 3,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you get a Tivo, I think it will only be an extra £3/£5 a month
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not really interested in Tivo though. And do you not need to increase your tv package?
  • JustinThePubJustinThePub Posts: 3,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not really interested in Tivo though. And do you not need to increase your tv package?

The reason I mentioned it was because it seems to be cheaper to have a an extra Tivo rather than a V+. I think you can get them on the lesser packages now as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kmusgrave wrote: »
    The reason I mentioned it was because it seems to be cheaper to have a an extra Tivo rather than a V+. I think you can get them on the lesser packages now as well.

We don't even have one Tivo, would I need to upgrade both boxes? I'm on the L TV package.

Anything I watch I can get on an iPlayer, but do you have the option to pause/rewind tv etc? That might be an option.
  • joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,027
    Forum Member
    We don't even have one Tivo, would I need to upgrade both boxes? I'm on the L TV package.

Anything I watch I can get on an iPlayer, but do you have the option to pause/rewind tv etc? That might be an option.

Yes, Virgin only do the Tivo boxes for recording now,
    as they have discontinued the V+ boxes even the HD ones
    Their plan going forward is for everyone to be migrated on to the Tivo box

It is a bit late in the day to sort out your requirements, because the special offer for the Tivo boxes finishes on the 27th of February in just little over a week’s time

If you have to have two Tivo boxes installed then this is the best way to go about it

Phone up Virgin on 150 from your Virgin Phone Line
    and go to the option of adding services then request two Tivo Boxes and wait for them to be installed here are all the options, which is a bit complicated

Option 1

Have one Tivo box installed now, by phoning Virgin tomorrow morning after 10am

Price £49.95 for the 1TB Tivo box or Free with the 500GB Tivo box
    Plus £49.95 Installation Charge - you may get this waived

Monthly Charge £3 a month on top of your current subs

Then get another Tivo box installed at a later date,
    phone again on THIS Friday morning after 10am before the 27th of February

Price £49.95 for the 1TB Box and Free for the 500GB Tivo box

Plus £49.95 Installation Charge - you might get this waived

Option 2

Phone Tomorrow morning and order two 1TB Tivo boxes

Price £49.95 for the 1st 1TB Tivo box and £99.95 for the second one and each for any others

Plus £49.95 Installation Charge

Monthly Price - all prices are on top of your current sub

£3 a month per box so £6 in total for two Tivo boxes plus £6.50 Multiroom charge

Options 3 and 4

Phone after the 27th of February and follow Options 1 or 2

Price for the boxes and Installation is the same

Monthly Charges- all prices are on top of your current sub

£5 a month per box so £10 in total for two boxes plus £6.50 Multiroom Charge, so it will be £16.50 a month
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for that, I think £16.50 is too much just now on our amount, we are already £52 a month before calls, plus I'm not working at the moment.

Its not for just now anyways, I was mainly just wondering what I got for multiroom and how much extra it will be.

So unless I am reading it wrong option 2 you have put there would be £200?
    Forum Member
    Thanks for that, I think £16.50 is too much just now on our amount, we are already £52 a month before calls, plus I'm not working at the moment.

Its not for just now anyways, I was mainly just wondering what I got for multiroom and how much extra it will be.

So unless I am reading it wrong option 2 you have put there would be £200?

Yes, if you include the Installation charge as well, that is why it is better to phone up tomorrow morning and order the 1TB Box and then phone up again
    on Friday morning and order another one

Both Installs will cost you £100 each in total, so you do not gain anything other than stalling for time and making Virgin to come out twice, Virgin have us by the short and curlies
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, if you include the Installation charge as well, that is why it is better to phone up tomorrow morning and order the 1TB Box and then phone up again
    on Friday morning and order another one

Both Installs will cost you £100 each in total, so you do not gain anything other than stalling for time and making Virgin to come out twice, Virgin have us by the short an curlies

Bugger that!

I'll leave it a few months, unless I have a job before then, and try to talk them out of sending an engineer - thats mainly why we haven't done it before now! Both rooms are wired in, as we had a VM box in one and *ahem* box in the other, but they still say they need to send out an engineer lol.
    Forum Member
    Bugger that!

I'll leave it a few months, unless I have a job before then, and try to talk them out of sending an engineer - thats mainly why we haven't done it before now! Both rooms are wired in, as we had a VM box in one and *ahem* box in the other, but they still say they need to send out an engineer lol.

Yes, all Tivo installs require an engineer to come out because it takes up to an hour to get it installed, you cannot Self-Install Tivo boxes,
    this has been mentioned on other Posts and Forums

What the Engineer does while they are installing the Tivo box(es), I am not sure yet, the stage before the Software Downloads,
    I am looking on YouTube at the moment to find out Video wise
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was more meaning if I get a normal box instead of Tivo, but we have been with VM now for 4 years, so will see what they offer us when we do phone for it :)

But thanks for the help.
    Forum Member
    I was more meaning if I get a normal box instead of Tivo, but we have been with VM now for 4 years, so will see what they offer us when we do phone for it :)

But thanks for the help.

Virgin do not do any more "normal boxes" just the Tivo for recording and with a bit of a push and a shove they will give you a Cisco V HD box that does not record at all

See here for details http://shop.virginmedia.com/digital-tv/set-top-boxes.html
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Virgin do not do any more "normal boxes" just the Tivo for recording and with a bit of a push and a shove they will give you a Cisco V HD box that does not record at all

See here for details http://shop.virginmedia.com/digital-tv/set-top-boxes.html

VHD box would be fine, yes we don't have a HD telly, but we've been without recording facilities (used to have Sky+) for 4 years now, so wouldn't bother me at all.

The only things we really use on the telly is the BBC iPlayer and the ITV Net Player, again available on the VHD.

Could we get round the installation with that one?
    Forum Member
    VHD box would be fine, yes we don't have a HD telly, but we've been without recording facilities (used to have Sky+) for 4 years now, so wouldn't bother me at all.

The only things we really use on the telly is the BBC iPlayer and the ITV Net Player, again available on the VHD.

Could we get round the installation with that one?

You might, but I doubt it very much
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You might, but I doubt it very much

Hmm.. I just grudge paying £40 for my day to be wasted waiting on a guy coming out to do nothing, obviously with the tivo he'd have something to do!.
    Forum Member
    Hmm.. I just grudge paying £40 for my day to be wasted waiting on a guy coming out to do nothing, obviously with the tivo he'd have something to do!.

You might be able to do a Self-Install, I am not sure, phone tomorrow and and see
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You might be able to do a Self-Install, I am not sure, phone tomorrow and and see

I might do, just to enquire, the tenants before us had multiroom, thats why its there in both rooms.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi all, just an update!

Our package was £55.25 a month, that was for XL BB, L TV and L phone with a standard VM box. That included £2.25 a month for caller ID.

I had previously enquired about the multiroom, and was told it would be an extra £6.50 a month taking us to £61.75.

VM have now brought out collections, so my husband phoned tonight and we are now onto a Premium Collection which is:

500Gb TiVo box
    HD multiroom
    XL BB
    XL TV
    M phone (dropping a package but we use mobiles anyway)

All for £61.15 a month (with the £2.25 for CID) which is actually 60p a month cheaper than getting just standard multiroom!

We do need to pay the £49.95 but thats fine, as its for a better reason this time lol!
    Forum Member

It is £50 for an engineer visit not £40

It takes an hour and a half for the Tivo to be installed that is what they told me on the phone last week

They first need to check the signals and the balance that can take up to half an hour and then an hour for the Tivo box to be installed, programmed
    and for the software to be updated before it is available to use

Getting 100MB Broadband with the Superhub Modem/Router and 1TB Tivo box in July, to keep my equipment up to date from Virgin

Eventually I will be upgraded to 120MB Broadband
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is £50 for an engineer visit not £40

It takes an hour and a half for the Tivo to be installed that is what they told me on the phone last week

Getting 100MB Broadband with the Superhub Modem/Router and 1TB Tivo box in July, to keep my equipment up to date from Virgin

We are just going to the 500Gb TiVo and 60Mb BB, but we are confused as to wether its going to be 30Mb going to 60Mb or 60Mb going to 100Mb - the girl on the phone wasn't sure.

We don't mind paying the £49.95 this time, as its TiVo we are getting installed, plus we are now getting a much better package for 60p less than just multiroom.