Britain’s First Photo Album : BBC2 : 12th March

Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
Forum Member
✭✭✭
A "heads up" for something that may interest many.

Weekdays at 6.30pm for two weeks, starting March 12th.

Britain’s First Photo Album follows John Sergeant as he retraces Frith's photographic journey through history, hoping to find the exact spots where forty photographs from The Francis Frith Collection were taken and then take his own pictures, capturing the mood of the place as it is now.

Frith's poignant photographs are further brought to life in a series of interviews as John Sergeant meets people living or working in the same places today, who tell their stories as they work to keep Britain’s social and industrial heritage alive.

This is an interesting site.

Punch in your old home town and see photographs of it from any time from the early 1900s, though many are later and from the fifties and sixties.
There are also message boards for each town/city where people can share their memories, stimulated by the photos shown.

http://www.francisfrith.com/

Comments

• Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've bumped this as the programme starts tonight.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This was an interesting programme series.

It might have been more interesting, if there were less of John "the hat" Sergeant.

As far as I can recall, not once did he mention the facility on Francis Frith's web-site, I mentioned at the top of the page, an opportunity to punch in the name of your home town and view photographs of it, going back in some cases to the late 1800s. There is also a message board where you can share memories relating to particular places.