Options

New York Help.

nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
Forum Member
✭✭
We are thinking of going a city break to New York in October and have no idea about where to stay, how to book etc.

Has anyone on here went and if so do they have any recommendations?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    SoomacdooSoomacdoo Posts: 6,645
    Forum Member
    I've been twice and both times stayed at the Wellington near Times Square. It's a real basic hotel but in a good central location. Even though its basic, its still not that cheap but no NY hotels are.

We were there for shopping, a bit of sight seeing, shopping, oh yes I nearly forgot the shopping. This hotel was in very handy for dropping the shopping bags off and then going straight back out to get more shopping bags. It was also very handy as loads of nice pubs and eateries within walking distance for the evening. Literally all we used the hotel for was sleeping so I'm glad that we didn't waste a really posh hotel.
  • Options
    Compton_scatterCompton_scatter Posts: 2,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was in NY in March and stayed at the Paramount Hotel (West 46th street) near Times Square. It was a really nice hotel (booked flights and hotel through expedia), very central to everything. We flew into Newark, which was easy enough to get to Manhattan from.

I'd recommend if you want to go to the Statue of Liberty to book from home as on the day the queues for the ferry can be long plus you wont be guaranteed a 'Pedestal' pass, let alone a 'Crown' pass. Also, depending on which airport, if I went again I'd prebook the airport transfers (I used Super Shuttle, cheap enough) just to save hassle.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The package I've seen on expedia is flying into Newark. However there are no transfers. So was thinking of getting a cab. Do you know how much that would be or would transfers from here be cheaper?

Thanks for the tip about the statue of liberty.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The package I've seen on expedia is flying into Newark. However there are no transfers. So was thinking of getting a cab. Do you know how much that would be or would transfers from here be cheaper?

Thanks for the tip about the statue of liberty.

I wouldn't get a cab as it's expensive. When we got to Newark we were waiting for the bus (leaves Newark for Manhattan every 15 mins, $16 one-way per person) and this guy came up to us (Super Shuttle) and said he would take us for the same price as the bus which included the two tolls, so we went with him. We then used them for the return journey. I would prebook Super Shuttle if I went again. Remember you'll need an ESTA for travel to the USA.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Both trips were booked as packages. We flew to JFK, which is a long way from Manhattan, and the transfers were included. I believe Newark is a lot nearer than JFK.

On our 2nd trip, we only flew one way there and sailed back on the Queen Mary to Southampton. This was actually very nice and took 6 days to get back. I would recommend this if you fancy a trip on a huge ship, Also no weight restrictions on luggage on a ship so I definitely excelled myself with the shopping in NY.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fair enough, we will probably do that then.
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I flew to Newark I used the Airtrain to get to New York Penn Station. http://www.panynj.gov/airports/pdf/ewr-airtrain-brochure-english.pdf
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Soomacdoo wrote: »
    Both trips were booked as packages. We flew to JFK, which is a long way from Manhattan, and the transfers were included. I believe Newark is a lot nearer than JFK.

On our 2nd trip, we only flew one way there and sailed back on the Queen Mary to Southampton. This was actually very nice and took 6 days to get back. I would recommend this if you fancy a trip on a huge ship, Also no weight restrictions on luggage on a ship so I definitely excelled myself with the shopping in NY.

No thanks lol, I even hate ferries.

I was looking at google maps and our hotel is only 14 miles from the airport, which is basically the same as my house to glasgow.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've been to NY via JFK (1999) and Newark (2014), I don't think there's a great deal in it to be honest distance-wise, but it was a while ago from JFK!
  • Options
    Judge MentalJudge Mental Posts: 18,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Went last year. Flew in via Newark. Cab to Times Square was 80 dollars. Stayed at the Renaissance on Times Square. Fab view. Did a city tour which was great. But a brilliant cheap thing to do is to get the A train over to Brooklyn then walk back over the Brooklyn bridge. Fantastic views of the skyline. Got a cab out to Chelsea and the meat packing district for drinks. Great but not cheap. Top of the rock is great for a view of the city. Buy breakfast from a street vendor. Gorgeous pastries for next to nothing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The hotel we've picked on the Lower East Side, good reviews and seems quite central for what we want to see, however thats going by what the maps look like.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We are thinking of going a city break to New York in October and have no idea about where to stay, how to book etc.

Has anyone on here went and if so do they have any recommendations?

Thanks.
    TripAdvisor have excellent customer discussion forums for almost every destination.
    Here's the NY forum.
    http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g28953-i4-New_York.html
    Even with the good advice you've received here you'll find it makes interesting reading between now and October with plenty of advice about transfers, transport, dining, sightseeing etc.
    I've always had really helpful responses.
    Enjoy the Big Apple.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TripAdvisor have excellent customer discussion forums for almost every destination.
    Here's the NY forum.
    http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g28953-i4-New_York.html
    Even with the good advice you've received here you'll find it makes interesting reading between now and October with plenty of advice about transfers, transport, dining, sightseeing etc.
    I've always had really helpful responses.
    Enjoy the Big Apple.

Thanks!

I'll have a look at the forum tomorrow. We only decided earlier tonight to go there, and since then we've found good flights and the hotel seems nice.
  • Options
    John259John259 Posts: 28,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This video has some good advice about how the use the NYC subway system:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayp0ZUjfZRA
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My wife and I walked a lot - on the second day from 08.30 to 4.30 then again later on.
    What amused us was that whenever we asked directions the first answer was "You're gonna need a cab".
    We got that response from two policemen in Times Square when we asked the way to the Empire State Building. We said "We're walking" and they looked bemused.
    It's a 20 minute stroll.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My wife and I walked a lot - on the second day from 08.30 to 4.30 then again later on.
    What amused us was that whenever we asked directions the first answer was "You're gonna need a cab".
    We got that response from two policemen in Times Square when we asked the way to the Empire State Building. We said "We're walking" and they looked bemused.
    It's a 20 minute stroll.

Really? Lazy bunch!

The hotel we've found is 20 mins from the Ground Zero Memorial which is one of the things we want to see.

Also my husband works for an American company and the day we are thinking of going is the day they change things on the stock market.
  • Options
    AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally I wouldn't bother staying near Times Sq. There are much better areas to stay around Manhattan, where the local restaurants/bars/shops aren't just tourist traps. The city is really easy to get around, so it's not any great hardship getting to Times Sq if you do want to see it.
    I believe Newark is a lot nearer than JFK.

It is, but taxis to JFK are a flat fare, whereas to Newark they are metered, which is usually higher.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its Newark we are flying into.
  • Options
    AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its Newark we are flying into.

Probably best with the Express bus then, drops off on 41st St, near Grand Central. About $30 return if I remember rightly - cheaper than the return taxi fare which I imagine would be around $140-$150 to/from the LES.

The train is fine too, but you have to get to the station at the airport, whereas the buses are right outside arrivals.
  • Options
    bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On our 2nd trip, we only flew one way there and sailed back on the Queen Mary to Southampton.

How long ago was this trip?
  • Options
    Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I believe Newark is a lot nearer than JFK.

Distance-wise, probably, but in terms of ease of getting into Manhattan there's not much in it, and it's cheaper from JFK as you can get the Air Train to Jamaica station then an express E train subway straight into central Manhattan - so easy, and less than $10 in total if I remember correctly.

Last time I was in New York I stayed at the Sheraton at 51st/52nd street and 7th avenue, which was lovely. So convenient too - a 5 minute stroll to Times Square in one direction and the Rockefeller Center in another and also directly above a subway station which had loads of useful connections. And a really cheap deli just below the hotel where we had a bagel and coffee for breakfast for only a couple of dollars. Lots of other places like Grand Central and even the UN Building within walking distance too - you really don't need public transport much at all in Manhattan, we only used it to get down to the World Trade Center Plaza and to go up to the far end of Central Park.

I was looking at google maps and our hotel is only 14 miles from the airport, which is basically the same as my house to glasgow.

Ah but 14 miles is a long time in New York traffic! There is absolutely no need to waste money on a cab when you're going to get just as stuck in traffic as a coach will. Get the train if you can, it's highly likely to be quicker.
  • Options
    gmphmacgmphmac Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You'll love New York, it's a fantastic city! I'd recommend the open top bus tours - They take in all the main sights, and are a good way to get around Manhattan and explore the different neighbourhoods (and the outer boroughs if you want): http://www.newyorksightseeing.com/

The good thing about NYC is that it's fairly compact and easy to explore (especially Midtown).

Happy travels :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    bart4858 wrote: »
    How long ago was this trip?

I think it was 2009 or 2010 - not sure which. We have been on the QM2 three times now and its the best ship I've been on.
  • Options
    GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just came back from New York a few weeks ago. Was a really good trip.

We stayed at the Gansevoort Park Avenue - http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g60763-d1456411-Reviews-Gansevoort_Park_Avenue_NYC-New_York_City_New_York.html/

We got a good deal and it is a fantastic hotel. we were in the rooftop pool every morning to set us up for the day.

We flew into JFK and got a taxi into Manhattan for the experience (its a fixed price, $55 plus tolls and tips). We flew out from Newark and got the Airport Express bus from Port Authority which was $16 each and took under an hour even during rush hour on a Friday!

We went by BA premium economy which was worth the difference to Economy imo for the bigger seats and leg room. Our flight back was over night on the Friday night and we spent most of it sleeping which was very easy to do. I did look at the club world/business/first class lay flat seats with envy though. I will treat myself to one of those one day.

Over our 6 day stay we walked 66 miles even with using the subway! I think I am still recovering now but I enjoyed every minute of it.

Open top bus is a good thing to do.

Circle line full island boat tour was great.

We did the Empire state building in the day and at night both amazing experiences. Rockefeller is good too.

Ii you want to go to a show, have a think about what. If is is a less popular show you will be able to get cheap ticks wither from the TKTS booth on Time Square or the theatre box office on the day. If you want to see something popular like Wicked you will need to book as most nights are a sell out and spare tickets go into a lottery which are hard to get. Wicked was amazing and well worth it. We also went to see Chicago which we got from the TKTS booth on the day and paid £35 each for quite decent seats.