Options

Have you ever wanted to kill a seagull?

NewGamesOfTodayNewGamesOfToday Posts: 292
Forum Member
A few months back I was walking down the street when a seagull kept swooping down at me, it was after stuff I had in my had at the time and didn't care how it got it..........The bird was very nasty, just over food...I think if it had kept on i'd of grabbed it, punched it to the ground and broke it's neck. Not the best thing to do but these birds can be sooo annoying when they want to be.

Comments

• Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Wanted to?

I have done and several times but not out in the streets though and only the Herring gull - the nasty and most vicious one of the lot.

http://www.countryfile.com/sites/default/files/thumb/iStock_000006589315_Small.jpg
  • Options
    necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Er...no. Not many seagulls around where I am anyway. Though birds are eaily my least favourite group of animals with their flappy wings. They scare the hell out of me whenever I come across like a pidgeon or something.
  • Options
    EastEast Posts: 926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No but they had a good try at me here. They protect their young and if you come near the nest beware of your life :o

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g187525-d281147-Reviews-Benidorm_Island-Benidorm_Costa_Blanca_Alicante_Province_Valencian_Country.html
  • Options
    NewGamesOfTodayNewGamesOfToday Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    Wanted to?

I have done and several times but not out in the streets though.

I mean wanted as in "because it's being nasty" Were all hungry but there is a limit.
  • Options
    JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think I'd ever be that annoyed that I'd want to kill one.
  • Options
    seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No but I have wondered what they were like to eat.

Apparently, revolting.
  • Options
    HoffmisterHoffmister Posts: 12,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ironicaly had a Seagull make outboard motor and the fluggers always landed on it and pooped... hate swans more, had to fend off one with an oar once, dont tell the queen.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    A few months back I was walking down the street when a seagull kept swooping down at me, it was after stuff I had in my had at the time and didn't care how it got it..........The bird was very nasty, just over food...I think if it had kept on i'd of grabbed it, punched it to the ground and broke it's neck. Not the best thing to do but these birds can be sooo annoying when they want to be.

Here's a dead one for you.7

http://i441.photobucket.com/albums/qq131/koantemplation/Animals/IMG_0010_zpsh5rxecgn.jpg

I think the foxes got it as it was learning to fly.

There was a programme showing how seagulls steal food from people on BBC 1 tonight.
  • Options
    realwalesrealwales Posts: 3,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was walking around a housing estate/business park area very late a few nights ago and this one seagull seemed to be following me around, flying from one lamp post to another, swooping down inches above my head and making a racket. It was quite an intimidating experience.
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, most nights/mornings between 3 and 4:30 am when hundreds of them are swarming and others running around on the roof above my bedroom.

I've had the opportunity to kill one several times with my car, but I just cannot bring myself to kill a living creature, even one (well, not one specific gull obviously :D) that has caused me umpteen roof leaks over the last 10 years (they eat my roof, nest in the gulley which causes build-up of water rather than the gulley being able to do what it's meant to, and so on) and many sleepless nights. I just can't bring myself to be that heartless.

I do laugh remembering one time I was getting my shopping out of the car and a gull kept swooping at me (fallen baby seagulls nearby) - I must have looked rather ridiculous, trying to fend it off by waving a toilet brush around as I got my stuff out of the boot :D
  • Options
    FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    seacam wrote: »
    No but I have wondered what they were like to eat.

Apparently, revolting.

It's a bird, innit? It's a bloody sea bird . .. it's not any bloody flavour.
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fizzbin wrote: »

First thing that comes to mind is salty chicken :D
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Fizzbin wrote: »

"Albatross!! - ALBATROSS" :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_u7VGiMO0U
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,270
    Forum Member
    :o No. I just watched The Birds yesterday...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No I would not!

And I think that attitude toward any living creature gives cause for concern.
  • Options
    artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would have been protecting its young. Nothing to do with your food. When they are nesting they swoop on potential enemies.

You actually sound very childish with your post.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    artnada wrote: »
    It would have been protecting its young. Nothing to do with your food. When they are nesting they swoop on potential enemies.

You actually sound very childish with your post.

My thoughts exactly, I was actually looking for words such as "like" or "init" on the end of each sentence.
  • Options
    culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

All species of gull are protected under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981. Thus it is a criminal offence to intentionally kill or injure them.
  • Options
    chopsimchopsim Posts: 3,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes on Saturday. Just had my car washed and about an hour later when I was waiting in a car park it dumped the biggest load of crap from bonnet to boot. It made me jump, it made such a noise.
  • Options
    oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rats with with wings.
  • Options
    postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many, many times
  • Options
    miss_astridmiss_astrid Posts: 1,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only when I lived in Cornwall and they woke me up early every morning haha. Same these days with wood pigeons, though. They sound fine to begin with, but after half an hour of incessant calling, it does get annoying. :D
  • Options
    ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    realwales wrote: »
    I was walking around a housing estate/business park area very late a few nights ago and this one seagull seemed to be following me around, flying from one lamp post to another, swooping down inches above my head and making a racket. It was quite an intimidating experience.

There was probably a young one nearby.

It was trying to scare you away. They do it to predators like cats, dogs and foxes.
  • Options
    ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    They can shit for England too. One shat on me one day as it was flying over. It was about a cupful of slimy white liquid - right down the front of my shirt. Thank heavens it didn't hit me in the face.
  • Options
    DangermooseDangermoose Posts: 67,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RubyNyx wrote: »
    No I would not!

And I think that attitude toward any living creature gives cause for concern.

I agree Ruby !!!! What a horrible thread :(