Price slash on Microsoft Surface.

Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
Forum Member
✭✭✭
CNET.
Microsoft has slashed the price of the Microsoft Surface by almost a third. A whopping £120 has been sliced off the Windows 8 tablet, making it more than a hundred quid cheaper than the latest iPad.

The discount drops the price of the 32GB model to £280, down from £400. Meanwhile the 64GB version now costs £360.

Among the places you can pick up a discounted Surface is John Lewis, which offers six months free broadband with a tablet, Kindle, or other gadget.

Will you be tempted ?

Comments

• TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would have been tempted in October 2012. Now I'd rather pay more for better quality like a Surface RT2.
  • paulj48paulj48 Posts: 1,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dont forget its another £100 for the keyboard case
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is crippled RT so you can't install any alternative system or stuff like VLC.
    Even a 'Microsoft' netbook is better.

Bizarrely, the 11.6" Vivobook is quite close to that price.
    Does full Windows and is like an ultrabook netbook with touch.
  • plantyplanty Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    The "crippled" line is thrown around a bit too much for RT. It runs most things perfectly well, apps in the store work fine (VLC have an app in development that'll be released soon for RT)

If had an iPad 3 for some time and recently acquired a surface rt and have to say I rarely go back to the iPad. For web browsing, movie watching etc the rt is great. For office stuff it blitzes the iPad. IPad wins on some apps which aren't yet released in the win8 app store (sky go being main one for me!)
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really?
    I am sure it runs none of your existing Windows software.

And I thought the VLC team felt it would not be accepted anyway.
    Maybe a similar scenario to the Apple app store.
  • QuackersQuackers Posts: 4,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sniffle774 wrote: »

Will you be tempted ?

Not remotely. Its the RT version.
  • Ultraman1966Ultraman1966 Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    If it had a chipset equivalent to the S4 Pro or better, maybe but Tegra 3 was old hat even six months ago.